2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

TU is always my favorite game on ORU's schedule.  What other city has two D1 basketball teams that are within 8-10 miles of each other and have very competitive games year and year out?  There might be a handful but still this is very rare.

It is a great game for ORU because usually very few people expect them to beat TU, besides the people on this forum.  So what do the Eagles have to lose? It is a great rivalry game for ORU.

I like that they only play once a year.  Remember when Coach Sutton wanted to schedule the game twice a year?  That would have lost its appeal because most likely both teams win one game each and then who owns the Mayor's Cup?

We have a Homecoming game on the 10th of November. Don't know who we're playing; have to wait for Athletics to release a final schedule.

TU would be a fine Homecoming opponent....I guess we can throw TU a bone and still schedule them....after all ORU has to help their NET rating.....but they aren't doing our any favors.....plus TheEagleman really enjoys it when we beat up on the Golden Hurricane....so let's renew that contract.....:tb-blue:

48 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

TU is always my favorite game on ORU's schedule.  What other city has two D1 basketball teams that are within 8-10 miles of each other and have very competitive games year and year out?  There might be a handful but still this is very rare.

There are several good area rivalries. The one that come to mind is Xavier / Cincinnati.  Anybody have others that they see within a city?

There are 6 D1 teams in Philadelphia that generally play each other in most years.

St Joseph’s

Penn

La Salle

Drexel

Temple

Villanova

4 of these teams are in the Top 50 for most D1 wins so they have been around and generally playing each other for a long time.

Drexel was only recently added to the group of 5 (now 6) that have played each other in a round robin format since 1955 (excluding an 8 year period during the 90s when the round robin format was discontinued).

• Like 1

The Philadelphia Big Five is a long standing series and it's now Six if you include Drexel which some of the local teams do play but not all....All the others play each other every year and always great rivalries....in all honesty, even though TheEagleman has had a dislike for TU since my days at 7777 So. Lewis I still think the two schools need to get together and work out an amenable deal that both universities are comfortable with....games should be played when students are on campus which means by early December before conference schedules begin and frankly it would be great if when games were played at Mabee Center it should be Homecoming weekend.....how wonderful for the Alums who attend and the atmosphere would be electric....and in return for that ORU should be cordial to scheduling the game at TU when it best suits them.....this game is definitely an historic rivalry and needs to be continued at all costs.......:tb-white:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Some others are: UCLA-USC, TCU-SMU, and Georgia-Georgia Tech (stretching a little since they are about 70 miles apart) but still there might be 10 rivals within the radius of ORU-Tulsa (7.6 miles).  

Some stats about ORU-Tulsa from Wikipedia: ORU dominated the series in the 70s, Tulsa ruled in the 80s-90s, and since the 2000s it has been pretty even.  I was surprised to see that ORU is 13-16 against TU in the Mabee Center.  Thought the Eagles would have a better record at home in the series.  

it would be awesome now to renew the all-college tournament with OU-OSU-TU and ORU being in different conferences to play for State of Oklahoma Championship

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Sensational idea, Crow....but would likely take a miracle due to selfish scheduling and a lack of caring about the fans.....plus OU and OSU would be afraid that ORU might win it....geez a 2 night tournament like that would fill BOK....🤩

21 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sensational idea, Crow....but would likely take a miracle due to selfish scheduling and a lack of caring about the fans.....plus OU and OSU would be afraid that ORU might win it....geez a 2 night tournament like that would fill BOK....🤩

We could offer the spot to Arkansas for any team that isn't willing to participate and drop the "State of Oklahoma Championship" tag to the tournament.  Let the best team win (if you think you are the one).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

That would be a fantastic tourney, but I agree Eagleman, why would OU or AR  do it? they played each other in the BOK last year and had a huge crowd (14k+) and on ESPN2, why use up a tourney slot in state when they can go to FL (like OU last year for the ESPN invitational) or some other tourney and get 3 or 4 games on TV.

This year's schedule is shaping up very nicely, our best in years. Would still like to see us get rid of the NAIA games, but much improved. The TX A&M game addition was outstanding. 

I personally like the idea of playing TU twice each year, 1 at Mabee and 1 game at TU. We used to play TU twice a year, and there are a lot of benefits to it. We do need a competitive TU, the rivalry is to both school's advantage, for the students, alumni, local fan interest and media attention. It would give both schools a great attendance home game and it's easy for fans of each school to go to the road game. It's a road game with no travel costs and when both teams are good it's great for the city of Tulsa's college basketball vibe, back in the day those games were electric, the lower bowl at Mabee was full 2 hours before tip-off with full houses home and away by start time and very loud enthusiastic crowds going nuts, Mabee Center was rocking for TU! Let's play 2!  Anyone else like the 2 TU game idea, or stay with 1?

Home and home games would be great for the many reasons you have pointed out, @ORU40..  Getting TU to accept terms is another issue though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Home and home games would be great for the many reasons you have pointed out, @ORU40..  Getting TU to accept terms is another issue though.

I would think if anything would get TU's attention and help make them a little more reasonable...it would be last year's dumpster fire attendance figures! I'm not sure the players parents were even showing up by the end of last year!

• Haha 2

Usually when you have a low-bar for expectations, a team will surprise their opponents and win games that no one thought they would be competitive.  TU may surprise us, but if they don't, expect a change at the top.

30 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I would think if anything would get TU's attention and help make them a little more reasonable...it would be last year's dumpster fire attendance figures! I'm not sure the players parents were even showing up by the end of last year!

Forget the parents, I don't think TU's players were even showing up!

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I personally like the idea of playing TU twice each year, 1 at Mabee and 1 game at TU. We used to play TU twice a year, and there are a lot of benefits to it. We do need a competitive TU, the rivalry is to both school's advantage, for the students, alumni, local fan interest and media attention. It would give both schools a great attendance home game and it's easy for fans of each school to go to the road game. It's a road game with no travel costs and when both teams are good it's great for the city of Tulsa's college basketball vibe, back in the day those games were electric, the lower bowl at Mabee was full 2 hours before tip-off with full houses home and away by start time and very loud enthusiastic crowds going nuts, Mabee Center was rocking for TU! Let's play 2!  Anyone else like the 2 TU game idea, or stay with 1?

It makes a lot of sense to play multiple times or at least not minimize the game like TU has attempted to do for the past 20 years.

TU only grudgingly plays this game ONLY if it's first week of the season buried by college football.

• Upvote 2

They asked DJ Weaver on twitter: what are you most excited about with this upcoming season?  Without any doubt the first thing he said is winning the Mayor's Cup again.  You cannot tell me that these guys do not care about beating TU, it is first on their list.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

They asked DJ Weaver on twitter: what are you most excited about with this upcoming season?  Without any doubt the first thing he said is winning the Mayor's Cup again.  You cannot tell me that these guys do not care about beating TU, it is first on their list.  

Yeah, I sure hope DJ’s energy on that interview isn’t contagious! 😴😬

• Haha 2