2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

So far that is a GREAT schedule...and TheEagleman is just loving all this back and forth banter...keep it coming, boys!!! Image result for george costanza

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

So far that is a GREAT schedule...and TheEagleman is just loving all this back and forth banter...keep it coming, boys!!! Image result for george costanza

Just doing my job in the off-season…it’s all about the content. 😉

• Upvote 2

BOOM!!! End of discussion....🤩

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

I have to weigh in as an old former player; to me the one thing that seems to be missing in the schedule conversation for ORU basketball is Pride. The word gets thrown around a lot; but ORU basketball was built on Pride, in Oral, his mission, the school, the team, our schedule, our results. Show the world what ORU was all about. We came to ORU to be the best, play the best, beat the best. Not try to improve our NET ranking by playing NAIA teams! In the 70's and early 80's when ORU walked into the "Phog", Carmichael at UNC, or Texas, OSU or Arkansas they absolutely knew who we were and knew if they didn't play their best, they would get it handed to them and often did!! We weren't afraid to play anyone, and I don't think anyone was afraid to play us, because the best teams in the country did every year. 

Antony Roberts, Calvin Garrett and me and my teammates didn't come to ORU to play NAIA teams so we could say look at our fake Strength of Schedule ranking. Have some PRIDE ORU, we're better than this!!

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"  #WhatHeSaid   #Anybody/Anywhere/Anytime   #ExpectAMiracle

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

I have to weigh in as an old former player; to me the one thing that seems to be missing in the schedule conversation for ORU basketball is Pride. The word gets thrown around a lot; but ORU basketball was built on Pride, in Oral, his mission, the school, the team, our schedule, our results. Show the world what ORU was all about. We came to ORU to be the best, play the best, beat the best. Not try to improve our NET ranking by playing NAIA teams! In the 70's and early 80's when ORU walked into the "Phog", Carmichael at UNC, or Texas, OSU or Arkansas they absolutely knew who we were and knew if they didn't play their best, they would get it handed to them and often did!! We weren't afraid to play anyone, and I don't think anyone was afraid to play us, because the best teams in the country did every year. 

Antony Roberts, Calvin Garrett and me and my teammates didn't come to ORU to play NAIA teams so we could say look at our fake Strength of Schedule ranking. Have some PRIDE ORU, we're better than this!!

ORU pride!

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Oh my gosh! I have been waiting for someone to say this who speaks from experience. I voiced the same concern earlier, but no one can say it better than someone who has been in the trenches. I know some people just call the games against power teams "money" games, but I am with ORU40, they are pride games. Character games. Program building games. Games that fans want to see. Games players want to play. The guys we should be recruiting aren't interested in playing lesser opponents. Or at least they shouldn't be. If you are a 3 star or higher recruit, you want to play the big boys and prove you can stand toe to toe and even beat them. It won't matter if we have a new MCAC or a remodeled Mabee Center if we don't play teams that require a higher standard of excellence. I'm glad it appears we will have a match up with OSU. That is a start. Now, I hope we can add another 1 or 2 games against higher level competition to prove we can match up with the best of them. Eagle Pride!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Thank you! Post of the Year! 

15 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Just doing my job in the off-season…it’s all about the content. 😉

Maybe I bring back the gif no words as well to add on to the bantering? Kidding 

We did have a schedule of smoke and mirrors which took all of one game to be exposed in the Big Dance.  Yes we lost to Duke but in the process we were basically schooled and run out of the gym.  What an embarrassment.  Was I hoping for more March Madness and another win over a so-called "Blue Blood" program?  Yes.  Would it have been okay if we played a good game and lost a closely contested game?  Yes.  But to get trucked in Prime Time on National TV as the featured game was terrible.  It was as if we never even showed up, perhaps because we played a schedule which on paper looked good but in reality we never did defeat a Quad One team the entire season.  Yes it was "Duke", but that same Duke team lost the next game to Tennessee, the same Tennessee who lost the following game to that perennial powerhouse, FAU.  My point is that playing a schedule based on smoke and mirrors and a collection of NAIA/D-II stiffs does nothing to prepare us for when we play someone who actually has a pulse.  

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

We did have a schedule of smoke and mirrors which took all of one game to be exposed in the Big Dance.  Yes we lost to Duke but in the process we were basically schooled and run out of the gym.  What an embarrassment.  Was I hoping for more March Madness and another win over a so-called "Blue Blood" program?  Yes.  Would it have been okay if we played a good game and lost a closely contested game?  Yes.  But to get trucked in Prime Time on National TV as the featured game was terrible.  It was as if we never even showed up, perhaps because we played a schedule which on paper looked good but in reality we never did defeat a Quad One team the entire season.  Yes it was "Duke", but that same Duke team lost the next game to Tennessee, the same Tennessee who lost the following game to that perennial powerhouse, FAU.  My point is that playing a schedule based on smoke and mirrors and a collection of NAIA/D-II stiffs does nothing to prepare us for when we play someone who actually has a pulse.  

Great points made. It also didn’t help to play those naia/d-II schools close. I wasn’t very happy that we didn’t blow out those teams and played bad. 

39 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Wow… what a terrible take. But apparently 4 people have “liked” it so that might even be more baffling to me. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Wow… what a terrible take. But apparently 4 people have “liked” it so that might even be more baffling to me. 

Well, in all fairness, you aren't terribly bright. 

But hey...there's more to life than being intelligent. You're probably a really nice person. 

50 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

This IS a bit harsh. 

Duke was one of the hottest teams in the country entering The Dance, having just won the ACC conference tournament (including a victory over eventual Final Four representative Miami). The Blue Devils would have “embarrassed” a LOT of good teams that night in Orlando, just as Tennessee would have beaten a lot of good teams the way they played in the second round. It’s all about match-ups in the NCAA tournament, and Duke’s length on the perimeter and size in the paint was just a bad combination for an ORU squad featuring diminutive guards and no girth underneath. 

Now, on the other side of the coin:  it should be noted that the year ORU seemed so at ease facing Ohio State, Florida, and Arkansas in the NCAA tournament, they DID have the experience of having played FOUR P5 teams in the regular season:  Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and that same Arkansas bunch (and all on the road, of course), so there likely is something to be said about the whole “Iron Sharpens Iron” catch phrase being more than just artwork on a t-shirt. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Well, in all fairness, you aren't terribly bright. 

But hey...there's more to life than being intelligent. You're probably a really nice person. 

Ok…. You don’t really want me to start insulting you… it could get too personal and too truthful for you to handle. 

But I’ve always been happy to discuss ORU basketball and share my opinions. It’s funny when people disagree with opinions and then start the name calling 😂

• Upvote 3