2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

Man, that 3-day turnaround stinks; hopefully it will include a charter plane.

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Man, that 3-day turnaround stinks; hopefully it will include a charter plane.

The 3-day turnaround is no big deal. The issue is that it includes a trip to Bozeman, Montana.  

It is a long flight to Montana but Eastern Washington is even a little further.  I seem to remember the Eagles playing Weber State on the road for a post season tournament (maybe CBI or CIT) a few years ago when Warren Niles/Damon Bell Holter were finishing up their career.  It may have even been their last game with ORU.

It will also be interesting to see who the Eagles are scheduled to play with their first two Summit League games the week before this trip to Montanta.  ORU may have to go on the road before Montana, say South Dakota.  Then the guys would really be running on empty.

• Like 1

ORU history with both schools:

MONTANA STATE (1-0)

• 12/29/72 (H) W...116-68

WEBER STATE (2-5)

• 12/26/73 (N) W...82-79
  • 1/11/75 (H) W...91-89
  • 1/15/76 (A) L...80-83
  • 1/16/91 (A) L...80-115
  • 2/23/13 (H) L...66-70 (ESPN BracketBuster)
  • 3/27/13 (A) L...74-83 (CollegeInsider Tournament)
  • 12/1/14 (A) L...61-62

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU was paired up with Montana State as they each had the top NET rankings for their respective conference in 2023.  Although ORU's roster has been impacted through a coaching change, graduation, portal, etc., Montana State has fared worse (so far).  They have a first-year coach and none of the top five scorers on the team are currently listed on the 2024 roster.  Both teams will be in a serious transition mode for next season.

TheEagleman is glad we don't have to play at Weber State....tough place to go.....nice to have a couple of Mid Major contests mid season like that.....should be fun....👍

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is glad we don't have to play at Weber State....tough place to go.....nice to have a couple of Mid Major contests mid season like that.....should be fun....👍

I second that motion……👍

So far for ‘23-‘24:

• TULSA
  • WEBER STATE
  • NON-D1 #1
  • NON-D1 #2
  • NON-D1 #3
  • at Montana State
  • at Missouri State (right?)
  • at Liberty

…plus 18 Summit League games home & away.

Any others?  Where do we stand with Texas Arlington - is that series over?

OT:  

Are you assuming we have 3 Non D1 games or is that confirmed?  I sure hope not…

not sure there is a return trip to Liberty. 

i seem to remember an interview with Tim Johnson stating that Liberty was ORU's 1st buy game in his time at ORU

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Any others?  Where do we stand with Texas Arlington - is that series over?

image.png.0006b74215c731a87062e76f01a8b45c.png

image.png.99174f6e011706742c5edd5425d6c60b.png

18 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

not sure there is a return trip to Liberty. 

i seem to remember an interview with Tim Johnson stating that Liberty was ORU's 1st buy game in his time at ORU

Liberty was a buy. Everything I heard was that Liberty wants no part of playing ORU again. Not sure why since both teams are losing their go-to players.

• Upvote 2

I think we still have OSU in Stillwater as they came to the Mabee Center in Max's junior year.  The game was skipped last year (we know why, Cowboys did not want to lose to Max and company) but should be back on the schedule for 23-24.

Seems like the Eagles have played Missiouri State for around 10 years.  Might be time for a change and a chance to see some new schools on the schedule.

Oh yeah....no way the former HC of ORU Men's Basketball will play his former team home or away......he is a Image result for foghorn leghorn

• Haha 1

Follow-up:

1. An Athletic Department employee told me that, until the NCAA tweaks the formula for their NET ranking, ORU will continue to play as many non D1’s they can get away with.  Thinks they “would be foolish not to”.
  2. There is no interest on the part of the coaching staff to play in any so-called exempt tournaments around the holidays like so many other mid-to-low-majors do (for the life of me, I don’t understand this one at all).

Revised:

• TULSA
  • WEBER STATE
  • NON-D1 #1
  • NON-D1 #2
  • NON-D1 #3
  • at Montana State
  • at Missouri State
  • at Texas-Arlington
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Choosing not to play the holiday tournaments is just a foolish decision....very disappointing since it gives ORU a chance to play good mid majors and a few Top 25 teams....somebody needs to wake up and reconsider that one......image.jpeg.7266d8a58da6b45c378fd6e2adc3af43.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1