2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

9 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Helps when Abmas and Vanover are no longer on the roster. 

Just stop. 

You have to be an athletic staffer or close friend/relative of one. 

Just say that the scheduling philosophy employed is to maximize the NET ranking and W/L record. There is nothing wrong with that, if that's the philosophy. Just. Be. Honest. The honesty thing goes a long way. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

😂

For the record, I think ORU needs to schedule 2-3 true road games against P5 (or should we say Quad 1) teams each year. To me, “as few as possible” does not mean 0. Maybe I should have said “as few as needed in order to raise the minimum amount of money for the budget/athletic department.”

Now you're spinning it:  you implied ORU was in lock step with some unknown number of mid-majors looking to avoid playing P5 road games, a national trend of which I was until now unaware.

"For the record", playing just two P5 road games this coming season would be a greater total than the past two campaigns combined (none last year, TCU in Fort Worth in '21-'22).

Can't wait to see those two big boys on the schedule!

P.S.  Late this off-season, one of us message board dweebs (typically me) will post a list from Jeff Goodman or someone similar with all the exempt tournaments and their participants, including a sad footnote of "Teams Not Participating" which will feature ORU and a handful of perennial cellar-dwellers with no budgets who can't afford the travel.

I'm just curious about the dozens and dozens of low-to-mid-majors that WILL be named among the participants:  are they ALL stupid, or simply "appeasing" their fans?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Just stop. 

You have to be an athletic staffer or close friend/relative of one. 

Just say that the scheduling philosophy employed is to maximize the NET ranking and W/L record. There is nothing wrong with that, if that's the philosophy. Just. Be. Honest. The honesty thing goes a long way. 

Why can’t it be “all of the above”? Does the roster not have an impact on who will play? Are you that naive? You’ve been around long enough to understand that one, haven’t you?

Just now, GoldenEagleFan said:

Why can’t it be “all of the above”? Does the roster not have an impact on who will play? Are you that naive? You’ve been around long enough to understand that one, haven’t you?

No. The roster has nothing to do with filling out a D1 non-conference schedule.

So, you're telling me that 350 D1 schools saw Conner Vanover being added to our roster in the off-season and avoided us due to that? LOL!!!!

Feels like I'm arguing with a 5th grader. 

• Upvote 2

I will go on record that ORU will pick up at least one guarantee game (and probably two or more) during the 2023-24 season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play UHouston again since we still have players from that area and it’s easy to get to/from. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

"For the record", playing just two P5 road games this coming season would be a greater total than the past two campaigns combined (none last year, TCU in Fort Worth in '21-'22).

Ok then we do disagree on the fact that you think a high level team is based on conference affiliation (ie: “P5) and I think a high level team is based on their actual talent and outcomes (Quad 1). By your philosophy, St Mary’s last year would not be considered a high level team, simply bc they are not in a P5 conference. Although it would have been a much bigger Win than playing, say, Cal Berkeley, who was a terrible team in a P5 conference.

27 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm just curious about the dozens and dozens of low-to-mid-majors that WILL be named among the participants:  are they ALL stupid, or simply appeasing their fans?

I don’t think they’re stupid. I think they have different scheduling philosophies. 

29 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

No. The roster has nothing to do with filling out a D1 non-conference schedule.

So, you're telling me that 350 D1 schools saw Conner Vanover being added to our roster in the off-season and avoided us due to that? LOL!!!!

Feels like I'm arguing with a 5th grader. 

Haha I won’t mention who it feels like I’m arguing with… I thought you were in athletics but you still seem to have no clue how athletics function.  

You honestly believe “the roster has nothing to do with filling out a d1 non-conference schedule”?? The roster is probably the very first thing a coach will look at before they decide to schedule someone!
That is truly amazing you typed that sentence out and hit “submit”. 😂😂😂😳😳

12 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Ok then we do disagree on the fact that you think a high level team is based on conference affiliation (ie: “P5) and I think a high level team is based on their actual talent and outcomes (Quad 1). By your philosophy, St Mary’s last year would not be considered a high level team, simply bc they are not in a P5 conference. Although it would have been a much bigger Win than playing, say, Cal Berkeley, who was a terrible team in a P5 conference. 

Oh my gosh, now you're saying that the fortuitous NET windfall of playing road games at Saint (not "St.", BTW) Mary's, Houston, Utah State, and New Mexico (on the fly) was all preordained??

I stand in awe. 

Seriously, I can't WAIT to see which eventual NET Top 50 mid-majors ORU schedules for road games this year; I may have to make a border run to Arkansas or Kansas in late October to lay bets down on all of them to make the NCAA tournament (Texas Southern with another 14-21-ish record leading the parlay). 🤣

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Haha I won’t mention who it feels like I’m arguing with… I thought you were in athletics but you still seem to have no clue how athletics function.  

You honestly believe “the roster has nothing to do with filling out a d1 non-conference schedule”?? The roster is probably the very first thing a coach will look at before they decide to schedule someone!
That is truly amazing you typed that sentence out and hit “submit”. 😂😂😂😳😳

Ah yes, I bow to your infinite wisdom. Surely the coaches of 350 schools saw the addition of Connor Vanover last off-season and his 3ppg & 2rpg at Arkansas and trembled at the thought of going up against his greatness. 

Your intellect is too much for me. Take care. 

@Old Titan and @oruvoice I love the back and forth conversations - I honestly don’t think there’s a right or wrong philosophy to scheduling out of conference. I do think it’s pretty easy to look at the traditionally top schools in each conference and look at their roster (😳) and make a reasonable assumption where they will likely finish. 

For example, take Saint Mary’s from 2021-22 season. They finished 2nd in the WCC. They won an ncaa tournament game vs Indiana. They return 2 all-conference guards in Logan Johnson and Alex Ducas. I think it is pretty easy to say “They are going to be much better than a lot of P5 teams in 2022-23.”

Surely you can agree with that?

If I’m looking predictively at next year’s non-P5 teams and who I think will be good I would say:

Marquette, UConn, Creighton, FAU, Saint Mary’s, San Diego State, Boise State. 

25 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

Surely the coaches of 350 schools saw the addition of Connor Vanover last off-season and his 3ppg & 2rpg at Arkansas and trembled at the thought of going up against his greatness.

And sorry @oruvoice I can’t get over the fact you don’t think the roster has anything to do with filling out a schedule. That was hilarious. 

Yes. You are right. I am dumb.

Clearly 350 some odd schools saw the addition of Connor Vanover last summer and refused to schedule us on that basis. They all knew he'd destroy them and they wanted to avoid the embarrassment. It's just unfortunate that Duke drew us in the tourney and had to deal with him. I heard that Duke may drop to the NAIA because they were so terribly exposed on national TV. 

2 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

I am dumb.

You said it, not me 😂

You keep bringing up Vanover as if no one saw Max Abmas was still on the roster. But you don’t think coach’s look at rosters when scheduling teams 😂😂😂 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

You said it, not me 😂

You keep bringing up Vanover as if no one saw Max Abmas was still on the roster. But you don’t think coach’s look at rosters when scheduling teams 😂😂😂 

You're the one who brought up Connor as one of the reasons why people wouldn't play us, Mrs. Buttigieg. 

4 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

You're the one who brought up Connor as one of the reasons why people wouldn't play us, Mrs. Buttigieg. 

image.gif.90f3fcf662b9e7f02234757e03c2bc0d.gif

LOLOL - GOLDENEAGLEFAN JUST CALLED ROCCO MILLER AND BEGGED THIS BE RELEASED, JUST TO WIN THE ARGUMENT!!! 🤣

And I don't care, as long as it happens - can't wait to go to Stilly for this one! 🎉🎂🥳👏🏻

• Upvote 2

Revised 5/8/23:

• TULSA
  • WEBER STATE (Sat. 1/6)
  • TEXAS SOUTHERN
  • NON-D1 #1
  • NON-D1 #2
  • NON-D1 #3
  • at Oklahoma State (Sat. 12/16)
  • at Montana State (Wed. 1/3)
  • at Missouri State
  • at Texas-Arlington