2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

Unfortunately....so have we.......Image result for george costanza

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Unfortunately....so have we.......Image result for george costanza

How do we get in on this?

21 minutes ago, ORUFanbase said:

How do we get in on this?

This is exactly the kind of “Multi-Team Event” that we do NOT want to play in.  What does USI get out of this - three road games (and probably some cash)!

Now, here are four MTEs that have already been announced in which I am disappointed ORU is not participating, as I think any of them would be great for the program. A mix of P5 and mid-major games on a neutral court in an interesting location (and likely some television coverage and media attention):

CHARLESTON CLASSIC (Charleston, S.C.)

Nov. 16, 17, 19

Teams: Dayton, Houston, LSU, North Texas, St. John’s, Towson, Utah, Wake Forest

MYRTLE BEACH INVITATIONAL (Conway, S.C.)

Nov. 16, 17, 19

Teams: College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Furman, Liberty, Saint Louis, Vermont, Wichita State, Wyoming

ESPN EVENTS INVITATIONAL (Kissimmee, Fla. - Wide World Sports)

Nov. 23, 24, 26

Teams: Boise State, Butler, FAU, Iowa State, Penn State, Texas A&M, VCU, Virginia Tech

DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC (Honolulu, Hawaii - Stan Sheriff Center)

Dec. 21, 22, 24

Teams: Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Nevada, ODU, St. Mary’s, TCU, Temple, UMass

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All 4 events you listed are run by ESPN and the teams that are chosen (by ESPN directly) are usually booked:

a) years in advance and

b) based on fanbase draw.

Two things working against a team like ORU. If ORU ever got invited to play in those, I guarantee that they would jump at those offers. 

https://espnevents.com/sports/basketball/

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

This is exactly the kind of “Multi-Team Event” that we do NOT want to play in.  What does USI get out of this - three road games (and probably some cash)!

Now, here are four MTEs that have already been announced in which I am disappointed ORU is not participating, as I think any of them would be great for the program. A mix of P5 and mid-major games on a neutral court in an interesting location (and likely some television coverage and media attention):

CHARLESTON CLASSIC (Charleston, S.C.)

Nov. 16, 17, 19

Teams: Dayton, Houston, LSU, North Texas, St. John’s, Towson, Utah, Wake Forest

MYRTLE BEACH INVITATIONAL (Conway, S.C.)

Nov. 16, 17, 19

Teams: College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Furman, Liberty, Saint Louis, Vermont, Wichita State, Wyoming

ESPN EVENTS INVITATIONAL (Kissimmee, Fla. - Wide World Sports)

Nov. 23, 24, 26

Teams: Boise State, Butler, FAU, Iowa State, Penn State, Texas A&M, VCU, Virginia Tech

DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC (Honolulu, Hawaii - Stan Sheriff Center)

Dec. 21, 22, 24

Teams: Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Nevada, ODU, St. Mary’s, TCU, Temple, UMass

Wichita State listed for the Myrtle Beach event; curious if Paul Mills is stuck in a contract from the previous coach, and/or if he will try to get out of it over the summer, in keeping with his previous "scheduling philosophy".

24 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

All 4 events you listed are run by ESPN and the teams that are chosen (by ESPN directly) are usually booked:

a) years in advance and

b) based on fanbase draw.

Two things working against a team like ORU. If ORU ever got invited to play in those, I guarantee that they would jump at those offers. 

https://espnevents.com/sports/basketball/

So Towson is promising a bunch of fans coming down from Maryland to Charleston, S.C., to join all the throngs from Utah?

While Wyoming and Vermont are booking up all the hotels around Myrtle Beach?

And the Old Dominion charter 727 for Honolulu is filling up as we speak?

That's funny...ridiculous, but funny.

MAYBE IT HAS MORE TO DO WITH THEIR CONFERENCES HAVING RIGHTS DEALS WITH ESPN AND THE NETWORK SIMPLY FEATURING THEIR "PRODUCT" EARLY IN THE YEAR.

Looking forward to the "MIDCO Challenge" some time around Thanksgiving, featuring one of the XDSU's vs. Augustana, Mankato State, and Gustavus Adolphus on an outdoor hockey rink in Rapid City.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I would say every single one of those teams you mentioned has a much bigger living alumni base than ORU and it’s not even close. And each one of those programs are traditionally much stronger and much more of an appeal for an  ESPN-selected tournament. 

And I 100% agree with you about the conference push and the connection with ESPN rights. Midco=👎🏼

And also yes I guarantee you that Wichita State was already committed to that Myrtle Beach event long before Coach Mills was even a thought of being hired there. 

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I would say every single one of those teams you mentioned has a much bigger living alumni base than ORU and it’s not even close. And each one of those programs are traditionally much stronger and much more of an appeal for an  ESPN-selected tournament. 

And I 100% agree with you about the conference push and the connection with ESPN rights. Midco=👎🏼

And also yes I guarantee you that Wichita State was already committed to that Myrtle Beach event long before Coach Mills was even a thought of being hired there. 

So surprising that rather than admit an overreach, you would instead double-down on the likes of TOWSON being chosen for one of these tournaments due to their rabid fan base that travels so well. 

Look, I get that (for whatever reason) ORU does not carry much caché with The Worldwide Leader In Sports; for reasons unknown.  I would suggest it might have something to do with ORU's mission, but then there's goofy ol' Liberty right there in the mix of one of those tournament fields, which I have the guts to admit blows my theory right out of the water (though their presence might, to support your argument, have a LITTLE something to do with being arguably "local fare" - which explains why I didn't include them in my list).

But, PLEASE don't try to convince me or anyone else that TOWSON gets the nod over ORU due to their "much bigger living alumni base".  That's like saying a commuter school such as IUPUI has a greater fan-following than ORU due to their so-called "enrollment".  Apples and oranges, man:  upon further review, they truly are NOT the same thing.

Look, at the end of the day, there are a multitude of factors that are taken into account on why ESPN would take Team A over Team B. If you want me to go through team by team and rationalize why each team was selected by ESPN over ORU I can try that, but honestly that’s a waste of time. 

Tradition, fan support, conference affiliation, regional geography, 3-year NET ranking/RPI average, Athletic Department relationship, matchup desires and matchup issues, past success in other ESPN tournaments, travel budget, etc etc all are factored in to ESPN controlling who plays in their events. 

The crazy thing is you, @Old Titan, know all of this. Yet you want to nitpick about Towson or Liberty and argue just for the sake of arguing. 

Let me know when a team from a conference ranked 22-32 ever get selected to play in an ESPN event where all 3 games are played on a neutral court and high major teams are in the field. It won’t happen.

ESPN would lose credibility with the High Major teams/coaches the second one of them got matched up with a LM team and lost. It’s MTE promoter suicide to tick off a P5 school(s) by putting under-qualified schools in the field. Money talks and they earn money from the big dogs. And trust me, those Big 12, SEC, ACC schools in those fields want to play as many other P5 schools and similar MM+ conference schools as possible. They get the Summit League schools and below at home, they don’t want to face them on a neutral court in the middle of a thanksgiving break when their teams aren’t as focused anyway!

I hope I don’t come across as argumentative. I simply wish to enlighten and hope my comments are seen more as a resource than an argument. I do think I can bring a different perspective on college athletics and specifically scheduling. But please let me know if my perspectives aren’t fueling positive discussions. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Look, at the end of the day, there are a multitude of factors that are taken into account on why ESPN would take Team A over Team B. If you want me to go through team by team and rationalize why each team was selected by ESPN over ORU I can try that, but honestly that’s a waste of time. 

Tradition, fan support, conference affiliation, regional geography, 3-year NET ranking/RPI average, Athletic Department relationship, matchup desires and matchup issues, past success in other ESPN tournaments, travel budget, etc etc all are factored in to ESPN controlling who plays in their events. 

The crazy thing is you, @Old Titan, know all of this. Yet you want to nitpick about Towson or Liberty and argue just for the sake of arguing. 

Let me know when a team from a conference ranked 22-32 ever get selected to play in an ESPN event where all 3 games are played on a neutral court and high major teams are in the field. It won’t happen.

ESPN would lose credibility with the High Major teams/coaches the second one of they got matched up with a LM team and lost. It’s MTE promoter suicide to tick off a P5 school(s) by putting under-qualified schools in the field. Money talks and they earn money from the big dogs. And trust me, those Big 12, SEC, ACC schools in those fields want to play as many other P5 schools and similar MM+ conference schools as possible. They get the Summit League schools and below at home, they don’t want to face them on a neutral court in the middle of a thanksgiving break when their teams aren’t as focused anyway!

I'll say this much:  it's INCREDIBLY frustrating as a season ticket holder and pedestrian donor to again be confronted with the "we're not traditional/fan-supported/conference-affiliated/geographically-desirable/successful/QUALIFIED enough" attitude regarding scheduling. 

What if our coaches took the same approach with recruiting, self-relegating themselves to only the D1 leftover scraps? 

What if our student-athletes took a cavalier approach against top-flight competition because they didn't think they were good enough to win?

Or our fundraising efforts were skewed only toward smaller targets because "we're not blah-blah-blah" enough? 

What if when the "mystery donor" stepped up in Indy, Tim Johnson had only floated the "Bronze Level" idea instead the Silver and Gold packages, because he didn't think ORU was worthy of more?

If ANYONE in Athletics is taking that sort of attitude re: men's basketball scheduling, then it's no wonder ORU can not get the schedule its fans want, and its players deserve.

Not to get too preachy, but I gotta admit being reminded of Revelations 3:15-16, one of my favorite passages that packs both inspiration and a warning for us all:

"I know your works, you are neither cold nor hot.  Would that you were either hot or cold!  So, because you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth."

Here's to the hotness!  LOL 😘

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think your issue would be with ESPN and other outside entities having that mindset about ORU, and not with ORU’s athletic department having that mindset about themselves. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I hope I don’t come across as argumentative. I simply wish to enlighten and hope my comments are seen more as a resource than an argument. I do think I can bring a different perspective on college athletics and specifically scheduling. But please let me know if my perspectives aren’t fueling positive discussions. 

It's not that you are argumentative or not fueling positive discussions. It's that you are wrong on a great deal of things. 

Therefore, the discussion is pointless. 

This post was meant not offered with a mean-spirit. And, I'm done with you on this topic. Hope you have a nice weekend. 

I would think ORU making the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years and having the sweet sixteen run might make ORU a more attractive opponent for a tournament like this.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I would think ORU making the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years and having the sweet sixteen run might make ORU a more attractive opponent for a tournament like this.  

Totally agree

And, if anyone thought that ORU was anywhere close to filling out the 23-24 schedule, you can now add two more non-conference games (with at least one at home) to the "needed" list to compensate for WIU's eleventh-hour decision to bail from the Summit.

• Upvote 3

WIU leaving will really throw off the Summit League basketball tournament, as they went to the extra day last year with the 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 teams.  Now will they go back to the top 8 seeds make the tournament or have an extra day with an 8 vs 9 match up?

17 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

And, if anyone thought that ORU was anywhere close to filling out the 23-24 schedule, you can now add two more non-conference games (with at least one at home) to the "needed" list to compensate for WIU's eleventh-hour decision to bail from the Summit.

Maybe we can start the conference schedule after the first of the calendar year and find anything better than a #300 RPI-rated team to fill two games in December.  Certainly someone in the #150-#300 rankings would be willing to enter into a home-and-home series to help bolster their non-conference schedule (i.e., UTA, UTSA, UNT, SFA, GCU, TTU & OU (guarantee games), etc.).

• Upvote 3

On 5/8/2023 at 2:20 PM, Old Titan said:

P.S.  Late this off-season, one of us message board dweebs (typically me) will post a list from Jeff Goodman or someone similar with all the exempt tournaments and their participants, including a sad footnote of "Teams Not Participating" which will feature ORU and a handful of perennial cellar-dwellers with no budgets who can't afford the travel.

I'm just curious about the dozens and dozens of low-to-mid-majors that WILL be named among the participants:  are they ALL stupid, or simply "appeasing" their fans?

As promised, dweeb checking in:

2023-24 College Basketball Events Schedule 

Jeff Goodman, Stadium.com - 5/16/23

NOTE:  I started to highlight teams similar to ORU in these fields, but it simply would have taken too much time.  Suffice it to say there are a LOT of low-to-mid-majors that apparently aren't as clever as ORU when it comes to scheduling, manipulating the NET rankings, etc.  All things considered, sure wouldn't mind seeing ORU fill one of those "TBD" slots - wouldn't it be great to go to the Cayman Islands?

ASHEVILLE CHAMPIONSHIP (Asheville, NC – Harrah’s Cherokee Center)
Nov. 10, 12
Clemson, Davidson, Maryland, UAB

CHAMPIONS CLASSIC (Chicago – United Center)
Nov. 14
Kansas vs. Kentucky; Duke vs. Michigan State

LEGENDS CLASSIC (Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center) 
Nov. 16-17
Auburn, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, St. Bonaventure

CHARLESTON CLASSIC (Charleston, S.C. – TD Arena)
Nov. 16, 17, 19
Dayton, Houston, LSU, North Texas, St. John’s, Towson, Utah, Wake Forest

MYRTLE BEACH INVITATIONAL (Conway, S.C.- HTC Center)
Nov. 16, 17, 19
College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Furman, Liberty, Saint Louis, Vermont, Wichita State, Wyoming

PARADISE JAM (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands – UVI Sports and Fitness Center)
Nov. 17-20
Abilene Christian, FGCU, Fordham, Hampton, Kent State, Missouri State, Norfolk State, San Jose State

BAHA MAR HOOPS BAHAMAS CHAMPIONSHIP (Nassau, Bahamas – Baha Mar Convention Center)
Nov. 17, 19
Kansas State, Miami, Providence, Georgia

CONTINENTAL TIRE MAIN EVENT (Las Vegas)
Nov. 17, 19
San Diego State, Washington, Xavier, TBD

ARIZONA TIP-OFF (Glendale, Ariz. – Desert Diamond Arena)
Nov. 17-19
Cactus Division: DePaul, Grand Canyon, San Francisco, South Carolina
Desert Division: PFW, NAU, South Dakota, VMI

HALL OF FAME TIP-OFF (Uncasville, Conn. – Mohegan Sun Arena)
Nov. 18-19
Mississippi State, Northwestern, Rhode Island, Washington State

JUMPMAN INVITATIONAL (Charlotte – Spectrum Center)
Nov. 19: Michigan vs. Florida
Nov. 20: North Carolina vs. Oklahoma

EMPIRE CLASSIC (NY – Madison Square Garden)
Nov. 19-20
Indiana, Louisville, Texas, UConn

JACKSONVILLE CLASSIC (Jacksonville, Fla.)
Nov. 19-20
Charlotte, George Mason, UCF, TBD

CAYMAN ISLANDS CLASSIC (Cayman Islands – John Gray Gymnasium)
Nov. 19-21
Drake, FIU, LMU, Marshall, Oakland, Stephen F. Austin, Utah State, TBD

SUNSHINE SLAM (Daytona Beach, Fla. – Ocean Center)
Nov. 20-21
Colorado, Florida State, Richmond, UNLV

MAUI INVITATIONAL (Maui, Hawaii – Lahaina Civic Center)
Nov. 20-22
Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Purdue, Syracuse, Tennessee, UCLA, Chaminade

FORT MYERS TIP-OFF (Fort Myers, Fla. – Suncoast Credit Union Arena)
Nov. 20-22
SMU, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin

HALL OF FAME CLASSIC (Kansas City – T-Mobile Center)
Nov. 22-23
Boston College, Colorado State, Creighton, Loyola Chicago

BATTLE 4 ATLANTIS (Paradise Island, Bahamas – Atlantis)
Nov. 22-24
Arkansas, Memphis, Michigan, North Carolina, Northern Iowa, Stanford, Texas Tech, Villanova

NIT SEASON TIP-OFF (Brooklyn, NY – Barclays Center)
Nov. 22, 24
Baylor, Florida, Oregon State, Pittsburgh

ACRISURE CLASSIC (Palm Springs, Calif. – Acrisure Arena)
Nov. 23
Michigan State vs. Arizona

VEGAS SHOWDOWN (Michelob ULTRA Arena – Mandalay Bay)
Nov. 23-24
Arizona State, BYU, NC State, Vanderbilt

ESPN EVENTS INVITATIONAL (Kissimmee, Fla. – Wide World Sports)
Nov. 23, 24, 26
Boise State, Butler, FAU, Iowa State, Penn State, Texas A&M, VCU, Virginia Tech

RADY CHILDREN’S INVITATIONAL (San Diego – LionTree Arena)
Nov. 23-24
Iowa, Oklahoma, Seton Hall, USC

EMERALD COAST CLASSIC (Niceville, Fla. – Northwest Florida State College)
Nov. 24-25
Championship Bracket: Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Santa Clara
Bracket II: Mercer, Southeastern Louisiana, Tennessee State, Western Michigan

BAHA MAR HOOPS NASSAU CHAMPIONSHIP (Nassau, Bahamas – Baha Mar Convention Center)
Nov. 24-26
Brown, Delaware, George Washington, Kansas City, Middle Tennessee, Ohio, UIC, TBD

SEATTLE TIP-OFF
Dec. 15
Gonzaga vs. UConn

CBS SPORTS CLASSIC (Atlanta)
Dec. 16
Kentucky vs. North Carolina; Ohio State vs. UCLA

HALL OF FAME CLASSIC (Springfield, Mass. – Mass Mutual Center)
Dec. 16
FAU vs. St. Bonaventure; West Virginia vs. UMass

DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC (Honolulu, Hawaii – Stan Sheriff Center)
Dec. 21, 22, 24
Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Nevada, ODU, St. Mary’s, TCU, Temple, UMass

DUKE BLUE DEVIL CHALLENGE (Durham, N.C. – Cameron)
Nov. 14-24
Duke, Bucknell, La Salle, Southern Indiana

MINNESOTA MTE (Minnesota)
Nov. 14-21
Minnesota, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Ball State, USC Upstate

GEORGETOWN MTE
Georgetown, American, Mount St. Mary’s

NORTH FLORIDA MTE (North Florida)
Nov. 16-18
North Florida, Maine, Northwestern State, Presbyterian

LANCER JOUST (Cal Baptist)
Nov. 16-19
Cal Baptist, Cal Poly, Portland State, St. Thomas

SEATTLE MTE (Seattle)
Nov. 22-26
Seattle, Idaho, UC San Diego

BROCK CLASSIC (Longwood)
Nov. 24-25
Longwood, Bethune-Cookman, Delaware State, Lamar

NORTH ALABAMA MTE (North Alabama)
Nov. 26-30
North Alabama, Tennessee Tech, Western Carolina

RMU MTE (Robert Morris)
Nov. 24-26
Robert Morris, Jacksonville, FDU

CENTRAL ARKANSAS MTE
Nov. 25-26
Central Arkansas, Long Island, New Orleans, North Dakota

FIELD OF 68 TIP-OFF (Boca Raton, Fla. – FAU)
Nov. 30-Dec. 2
FAU, Charleston, Liberty

• Upvote 1