2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

TheEagleman says screw OSU....let's kick their butts!!! This is the look i want to see on their bench in December..... Image result for scott sutton oru photos

• Haha 2

One positive thing (IMHO) is that all of our games will be played in Oklahoma or states contiguous to Oklahoma. The only exception is the Big Sky Challenge trip to Montana, but that was really out of ORU's direct control (Summit League). With this non-conference schedule, the team will play within ORU's primary recruiting area and shouldn't be "road-weary" from excessive travel.  I still would've liked to see one more D1 home game to balance out the non-conference home/away schedule, but that would be my main critique.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Mike Boynton gave ORU badly-needed P5 games in Max’s underclass years when no one else would. He doesn’t deserve this vitriol for ducking us one year while he was trying to save his job. 

If you want to flame someone for avoiding ORU, go after Porter Moser and OU. They’re the ones that seem to always want to avoid playing the Golden Eagles. 

Boyton seems like a nice guy from what i hear. He badly needs to make the tourney this year. Has some talent but the Big 12 is tough. 

Moser would be gone in a heartbeat from OU if he can get another job. Really wanted the ND gig. 

Now that we have the completed schedule, what are your thoughts on ORU's win/loss record?  I would say 15-14 and a win versus Tulsa would be a solid year.  ORU just has too many new faces and end of the bench guys that have to step up.  So, expect a lot of up and down moments in 23-24.

It does not sound too exciting but a winning season for Coach Springmann in his first year would still be something to build on.  

• Upvote 2

I will be surprised if we do not have a winning season. My guess is something like 17-12. I'm looking forward to seeing how much Sir Issac Herron has improved after his red-shirt injury year. Some of our new guys appear to have potential. I'm hoping one of them will join Issac McBride as an all Summit League player. One big key is how quickly and effectively McBride takes over as the team leader.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Now that we have the completed schedule, what are your thoughts on ORU's win/loss record?  I would say 15-14 and a win versus Tulsa would be a solid year.  ORU just has too many new faces and end of the bench guys that have to step up.  So, expect a lot of up and down moments in 23-24.

It does not sound too exciting but a winning season for Coach Springmann in his first year would still be something to build on.  

Without delving into the schedule too much, I will absolutely take the OVER on a 15 win season.  In fact, I would consider it to be a significant disappointment if ORU finishes at 15-14.  The non-D1s should give us three free wins, and our three non-conference home games are against teams with 2023 NET rankings of 192, 307, 324.  The four P-5 road matchups will be a challenge, but the other three are manageable, starting with the season opener at UTA.

Even if ORU finishes the non-conference at 6-7, the Summit League was down last season and I haven't seen the league significantly improve over the past year, with the exception of the departure of perennial doormat Western Illinois (addition by subtraction).  The eight remaining schools had an average NET of 259 last season, and I would expect most to be the same or down further from last year, given activities through the transfer portal and recruiting.  McBride, Thompson, Weaver and Herron should provide a strong enough nucleus to build around to finish much better than 9-7 in league play. 

Definitely taking the over...

• Upvote 4

SDSU gets Appel back from injury and added 7'0" Nate Barnhart from Wyoming

I don't think NDSU added any big transfers but Skunberg and Morgan are returning.

ORU is still a fairly deep team even with the players gone after last season. I think ORU finishes top two BUT that is dependent on the rebounding and defense Smith, Herron, & Jones are able to contribute.

The league may not have gotten better but NDSU and Omaha both returned 7 or 8 guys who played significant minutes last year.  Experience usually beats young unproven talent.  Nothing against Springmann but it is his first year as head coach.  Mills was 11-21 and Sutton was 13-17 in their first year as head coach. It is just challenging for a new coach to just come in his first year and put up big win numbers.   It does happen but is usually pretty rare. 

59 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I just think the talent level that Springmann inherited is vastly superior to the level of talent that was here when Paul Mills took over. 

Definitely true! Mills raised the level of player entering the program over the course of his six seasons here.

• Upvote 6

The thing that is interesting about Coach Springmann is that he has been an assistant coach for 20 years (Texas, San Diego, and ORU).  So he does have a ton of experience and of course had offers to be a head coach but it was not a good move for his family.  He can recruit at a high level and should bring in some more studs from Texas in the upcoming years.  

Bill Self in his first year was 6-21.  Just saying it is good to give Coach a lot of grace and patience in his first year.  The schedule is very challenging, minus the three NAIA teams.  Plus, ORU drew what will most likely be the toughest teams in the Big Sky.  I am hoping the Golden Eagles can keep their 16 game home winning streak alive to hopefully 20-25 games this year!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Looking at our OOC schedule we should get a lot of our questions answered before league play starts. With so many newcomers on the roster, the first and most important question is who can play? We have 3 returners that we can assume will be starters in McBride, Kareem and DJ. Here is a very early look at our roster by position and who will fit where (IMHO).

Point Guard- McBride with Cam as the backup. Hopefully Cam is ready, we shouldn't need a lot of minutes from him, but we need him to give us solid mistake/turnover free minutes when he does.

Shooting Guard- is a? Williams from Rutgers would be the logical choice, if he is not up to the task coach will probably have to play Kareem at the 2. Kareem can play the off guard but that leaves at least 2 new guys in the frontcourt. To me this is one of our most import positions going into the season, if Williams can play that opens up a lot of flexibility for coach.

Small Forward- Kareem's natural spot and Demari as the backup (same as Cam, don't need Demari to carry us, but don't hurt us), DJ is also a natural 3, but will have to play the 4 & 5 most of the time as he has in the past due to our lack of proven bigs. 

Power Forward- DJ and a lot of unproven guys. Is Herron ready to start playing important minutes? is Smith or Moore a player? 

Center- Our next biggest? It has to be either Herron, Smith or Jones. 2 guys that haven't really played yet in their college careers and a freshman, not ideal but a great opportunity for one or 2 or ideally all 3 of them to step up and get a lot of minutes. We don't need a big scorer, but we will definitely need strong post defense and rebounding. The OOC will have some very good bigs and SDSU will be huge down low and they love to pound the ball inside. DJ can play the 5 and will, but against teams that have real size we need bigger bodies!

Our OOC schedule is tough, but we'll get to see who can play and who can't. We need a 2 guard, a center, and 2-3 guys that can play good solid back up minutes without being liabilities. We have a lot of minutes available; our new guys came her to play and will get a shot... let's see who's ready!   We may take some lumps, but I think playing these better D1 teams will make us a better team once we get to our conference games! 

Great synopsis, SP!  Right now, we are shadow boxing as we don't know enough about what/who we have to make an assessment.  Looking forward to seeing how we do in the scrimmages early on.  First and foremost, we need to come out of practices injury-free.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Looking at our OOC schedule we should get a lot of our questions answered before league play starts. With so many newcomers on the roster, the first and most important question is who can play? We have 3 returners that we can assume will be starters in McBride, Kareem and DJ. Here is a very early look at our roster by position and who will fit where (IMHO).

Point Guard- McBride with Cam as the backup. Hopefully Cam is ready, we shouldn't need a lot of minutes from him, but we need him to give us solid mistake/turnover free minutes when he does.

Shooting Guard- is a? Williams from Rutgers would be the logical choice, if he is not up to the task coach will probably have to play Kareem at the 2. Kareem can play the off guard but that leaves at least 2 new guys in the frontcourt. To me this is one of our most import positions going into the season, if Williams can play that opens up a lot of flexibility for coach.

Small Forward- Kareem's natural spot and Demari as the backup (same as Cam, don't need Demari to carry us, but don't hurt us), DJ is also a natural 3, but will have to play the 4 & 5 most of the time as he has in the past due to our lack of proven bigs. 

Power Forward- DJ and a lot of unproven guys. Is Herron ready to start playing important minutes? is Smith or Moore a player? 

Center- Our next biggest? It has to be either Herron, Smith or Jones. 2 guys that haven't really played yet in their college careers and a freshman, not ideal but a great opportunity for one or 2 or ideally all 3 of them to step up and get a lot of minutes. We don't need a big scorer, but we will definitely need strong post defense and rebounding. The OOC will have some very good bigs and SDSU will be huge down low and they love to pound the ball inside. DJ can play the 5 and will, but against teams that have real size we need bigger bodies!

Our OOC schedule is tough, but we'll get to see who can play and who can't. We need a 2 guard, a center, and 2-3 guys that can play good solid back up minutes without being liabilities. We have a lot of minutes available; our new guys came her to play and will get a shot... let's see who's ready!   We may take some lumps, but I think playing these better D1 teams will make us a better team once we get to our conference games! 

40: 

I'll be surprised if Kareem doesn't get substantial time at PG too...If some of the new, bigger guys step up and help out down low, KT could be very dangerous running the offense!

Rob

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

ORU has the toughest OOC schedule in the Summit League.  The question then is: will that make them tougher or if they take a lot of losses, will that hurt their confidence?  It seems like it can go either way.

Remember Obi's senior year when ORU started strong and then ran into some very tough teams on the road (LSU, OU, New Mexico State, etc.).  That seemed to hurt them and they were never the same.  I think it helped the Sweet 16 team because they had played some close games with good teams in the non-conference (Arkansas, OSU, and Wichita State, who were all in the Big Dance).

Maybe the key is to be competive versus a tough schedule and then that builds confidence.  If you are just getting blown out by good teams then that can often hurt a team's morale.  

5 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

If you are just getting blown out by good teams then that can often hurt a weak-minded team's morale.  

Fixed ^^^^^

• Like 1