2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

Based on many of the posts so far in this thread, it appears some may be surprised at the volume of playing time that Trey Phipps and Cam Amboree are afforded early in the schedule.

Just a hunch... 🤔

• Upvote 3

On 9/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, Old Titan said:

Based on many of the posts so far in this thread, it appears some may be surprised at the volume of playing time that Trey Phipps and Cam Amboree are afforded early in the schedule.

Just a hunch... 🤔

Welcome back OT, so glad to see you are feeling well enough to start posting again.

I think Cam will get minutes, but I would be surprised to see Trey get volume minutes, but I could be wrong. As a first-year head coach I'm sure he will play who he thinks gives him the best chance to be successful. Hopefully, Trey is ready to contribute for meaningful minutes this year.

I do have some questions; do you see Cam or Trey starting? when you say volume minutes do mean 20-25 each? because assuming McBride plays 30-32 mpg that means Kareem is in the front court full time.  It would also mean Miller isn't playing much if any, and I know we haven't seen him play yet, but I don't see coach playing 3 guards under 6'2" and a 6'6" small forward in KT and DJ as our 5? Thats a really small line up against 4 P5 teams, some other good OOC teams and our big conference challengers like SDSU. 

Just out of curiosity, what is your way too early starting line up? and how many minutes are "volume" for Trey and Cam?

Again, glad you're back, you've been missed! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the kind words, SP.

I didn't say they would "get volume minutes"; I said some posters may be "surprised at the volume of playing time" the pair could get early on.

I'm guessing it could be 8-to-16 minutes each per game, which is 8-to-16 minutes more than anyone has projected so far for either of them.

And I can't imagine at this stage who the starting five will be.  I think it's safe to pencil in McBride and Thompson, but beyond that, who knows till we see the team practice/play?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is easy to forget that Trey was the 3rd best scorer (ahead of Kareem, DJ, and Lufile) his first year at ORU.  He averaged about 8.4 points per game and shot around 40 percent from 3 point range.  Struggled last year but it will be interesting to see which Trey shows up for his senior year.  

He has been a little bit of a mixed bag over the years.  Trey had some good home games early in the season and then just mainly played mop up minutes the rest of last year.  He can tell his grandkids that he scored 2 points versus Duke in the NCAA tournament!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if ORU will play any secret scrimmage games this year?  I believe they played Louisana Tech and Drake last year.

• Like 1

Maybe ORU will play a "secret scrimmage" at Wichita State this month???....wouldn't that be interesting???  But TheEagleman guesses there would be a better chance of Joe Biden being re-elected for a 2nd term than the Shockers hosting the Golden Eagles for a pre-season game.....right????....😉:hc_mills:🙄

• Haha 2

Kenpom already has the opening night game with UT Arlington as a top 10 matchup on their metric scale.  Granted it is a slow night with maybe a couple of solid headliners (USC vs Kansas State and Oregon vs Georgia) but ranking that game #8 is somewhat surprising.  I have a feeling it will be a close one with UT Arlington, and hopefully a good win for the Eagles!

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Does anyone know if ORU will play any secret scrimmage games this year?  I believe they played Louisana Tech and Drake last year.

We *allegedly* lost to North Texas by 8 on the 14th, and we’re supposed to play Sam Houston State, not sure the date, but it’s a secret 🤫

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ORob2 said:

We *allegedly* lost to North Texas by 8 on the 14th, and we’re supposed to play Sam Houston State, not sure the date, but it’s a secret 🤫

Guessing that next scrimmage would be either this weekend or next and not during the week, due to the distance between the two schools (SHSU is over 400 miles away in Huntsville, TX). 

6 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

North Texas is ranked 97 in the preseason KenPom, and would be a nine point favorite over ORU on a neutral court.  A six point loss isn’t a bad result for ORU’s first scrimmage.  

• Like 3

Geez....setting the bar low this year if some of us think that a loss to N. Texas "isn't a bad result"...realize it's only a scrimmage but.......and hoping ORU isn't travelling all the way to Huntsville, TX to play lowly Sam Houston State.....they should be bussing up to Tulsa to play us at Magnificant Mabee Center....less than 3 weeks until the opener at TX-Arlington and TheEagleman is ready for some basketball......:circle-logoi:

You can never read into these scrimmages. They often have scripted lineups, getting players playing time that probably won’t be in the main rotation during the season. Some scrimmages are made up of multiple halfcourt games and sometimes scores are reset throughout scrimmages. 

• Upvote 4

TWO games on national TV this season.....the Lord has heard our cries!!! :shield-logo: