2023-24 MBB Schedule

ORUTerry

1 hour ago, dave said:

I just don't get it. Bball players don't come to ORU to play patsies. Fans don't want to see pushovers in the MC. I think it is a shame that we can't/won't schedule games against tougher competition. 

This schedule is shaping up to be one of the most challenging schedules in recent history…

@Kstate
@Texas A&M
@Texas Tech
@Oklahoma State
@Missouri State
@UT-Arlington
@Montana State
vs Weber State
vs Texas Southern
vs Tulsa

Just wait until conference preseason rankings come out and see how many of these teams are picked in the top 3-4 of their respective conferences. 

7 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

This schedule is shaping up to be one of the most challenging schedules in recent history…

@Kstate
@Texas A&M
@Texas Tech
@Oklahoma State
@Missouri State
@UT-Arlington
@Montana State
vs Weber State
vs Texas Southern
vs Tulsa

Just wait until conference preseason rankings come out and see how many of these teams are picked in the top 3-4 of their respective conferences. 

GEF - I get it. I just hate that we schedule so many non D1 games at home. I just have to trust the braintrust is doing what is best for the program and players development. 

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day, the Eagles do not want to be on the road 3/4 of the non-conference schedule.  Some other teams do not mind but ORU does not want to wear it's guys out and take a bunch of losses before conference.  For whatever reason they cannot seem to get D1 teams to come to the Mabee Center.  Maybe these teams want a payout, such as Liberty got last year.  ORU cannot afford that year end and year out.

At that point, the only alternative is to play these warm up games.  I get that the local fans, who buy the yearly ticket packages, are tired of seeing blowout wins versus NAIA teams.  Anybody would be.  They are kind of in between a rock and a hard place when the Eagles come to non conference home scheduling.

The solution to not having to play 4 home games against non-D1 teams each year is to schedule some home and home series with regional area schools like UALR, Missouri State, North TX, TX Arlington, Central Arkansas, etc.  I suspect it is sometimes harder than you might think though to get those series scheduled for a variety of reasons.

However, if the updated RPI-like calculation that is now apparently used by the NCAA for seeding purposes is considered, then our ranking looks better if we play the 4 non-D1 games because they will not bring our overall ranking down like a game against Central Arkansas or UALR might.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman is just wondering out loud why Liberty wouldn't do a home and home with ORU???....come on, Flames!!!  and how about Grand Canyon??....😎

• Like 2

All of us are using the non-conference schedule to bolster our athletic department budgets.  If we are going to lose (or have a better-than-not chance to lose), we might as well get a payday for the battle.  As such, the mid-majors like UNT, UTA, SFA, or even Liberty are not even considering home-and-home series that don't give them a good chance of winning two games.  The P5 teams won't venture out to play a mid-major like ORU for 1) the fear of losing on the road to a lower-RPI ranked team and, more importantly, 2) the loss of a home gate that can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

We need to continue to ask for games - guarantee and home-and-home - that will give us some good home games for our fanbase.  However, we also must realize that we have to play with the cards that are dealt us.  Hopefully playing these lower-tier games will help us to work on the things we are teaching in practices and will benefit us in conference games.

• Like 1

The late loss of Western Illinois did not help. Those are two games that needed to be filled late in the spring. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman is on record as not liking the non D-1 games but I get that we have to play a couple for scheduling and cost reasons....that said, there is no way ORU should be playing NAIA teams like Ozark and Mid American Christian....that's just embarrassing...playing decent D-II teams is understandable but not NAIA....it's an insult to fans and season ticket holders.....and serves no purpose for the players.....now i will just let it go....they don't listen to us so it really doesn't matter....TheEagleman won't say anything more about it but this is bogus...and not talking Smith........GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Upvote 1

I agree Eagleman. I get it that fielding a schedule that we all will like is not an easy task but playing NAIA teams? Really? In my opinion Eagleman blows up this whole argument by stating at least play decent D2 teams! Name me a decent D2 team that wouldn't love a crack at ORU?! Hopefully this changes as Eagle 88 has a long arduous trek to S Tulsa from Oologah! I enjoy the circus but not at 7777 S Lewis!!

• Upvote 3

ORU now has a 29 game schedule on its website.  They added John Brown at home on December 19th.  You local fans and Eagleman will be excited about that (smile).  Maybe the schedule is finished?

• Haha 1

Sigh............no further comment......🙄

Good to see you back OT!  Missed all your comments and inside information.

So the schedule is complete.  A few thoughts:

Only 29 instead of 31 games that we saw last year.  Maybe still a little wiggle room to add another team.  Of course, ORU added New Mexico last year, even after the season had began.

The guys get plenty of time off for the holidays, both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The road games in the non conference are really tough.  The only one that looks winnable is UT Arlington.  

46 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Goodness, 3 Big 12 and 1 SEC team. Well i guess at the least the budget will be paid for the year with those games. 

I saw where OSU decided they would play ORU this year once Max was gone. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

Wow! That is a loaded schedule, even with the 3 non D1 schools. Go get' em Eagles!

I don't mean for this to be snarky. But what happened to what we heard last year that nobody wanted to play us. I guess it is because other teams think we are more of a push over this year. If that is the case, I hope we surprise a lot of people with a few wins.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, dave said:

I don't mean for this to be snarky. But what happened to what we heard last year that nobody wanted to play us. I guess it is because other teams think we are more of a push over this year. If that is the case, I hope we surprise a lot of people with a few wins.

OSU wanted nothing to do with playing ORU but are happy to this year. Hopefully ORU can surprise them. 

• Upvote 1