Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

So SMU is going to hire Larry Brown while he is still trying to get a job with Portland? WOW! They deserve what they are getting with him. Add Worldwide Wes to the mix and that will be mess.

This is a big mistake by SMU....they should have hired Sutton.....then ORU could have kept Hankins......let's face it......maybe it's time for a change all around.....Scott clearly wants to be somewhere else for more $$$ and a new challange....who wants to go thru this every year.....it has to affect recruiting at some point...... :nerd:

Wow the TU board is in meltdown as Clarkson just got his release! Of course one fan still thinks they will make the tourney next year. Gonna be a long yr for Manning next year.

darrenj you called this weeks ago. it was telling that he and the PG refused to attend Manning's press conference.

it is very interesting that his dad is blaming, in part, the negativity of the TU message board. i guess families really do read these silly message boards.

TU is taking a risk by so restricting his transfer options...could be a backlash from future recruits.

How is TU restricting his transfer options? I thought he could receive a full release from his scholarship if the HC leaves.

Jason,

They are limiting the schools that he can transfer to. Not as bad as what Bo Ryan is doing at Wisc to that kid and Ryan is getting hammered on ESPN right now for it.

He can still pay his own way if he wants to go to Texas which is where he wants to transfer to. Manning is not the one stopping him as it is the AD.

On the SMU side they are offering Jancovich $650,000 to be the HCIW!! He wants it in writing that no matter what he will be the next coach. With the 2 recruiters they are hiring i guess that is a good thing. They will get really good really quickly if they can stay off probation.

Limiting Clarkson's options seems like a horrible PR move. Perhaps the goal is to send a message to other players that they better stay put. Yikes! Well I guess that is one way to run a program.

Unless you can prove there is tampering by another school, it is best to release them with no strings attached. Maybe restrict them from going to another conference school. If the player doesn't want to be there, you don't want them there.

The practice sounds like restraint of trade to me and could be challenged legally.

Bo Ryan from Wisc. is getting beat up today by everyone as he was on ESPN earlier and did not come off well.That is going to come back to haunt him on the recruiting trail. Manning has done a good job of saying Clarkson is in the past so he is moving on. It is the AD at TU.

Brown-to-SMU has to be one of the worst pairings I have seen in 30 years of being around college basketball, in a year that has seen MANY bad and/or perplexing hires:

Larry Brown - SMU

Frank Martin - South Carolina

Bruce Webber - Kansas State

Danny Manning - Tulsa

Johnny Jones - LSU

Rick Ray - Mississippi State

I actually like Tim Miles to Nebraska, and Larry Eustachy to Colorado State, and Trent Johnson to TCU and Jim Christian to Ohio might both make sense in the long run, but otherwise these other hirings are bizarre, when the likes of Scott Sutton, Stew Morrill, Doc Sadler, etc. are getting passed over.

I blame it on weak/bad athletic directors, many of whom these days have backgrounds in sports marketing or finance instead of athletics, relying FAR too heavily on search firms and big-money donors - instead of their own experience - when hiring a coach. Many of them wouldn't know a good coach (or, in the case of SMU, a good fit) if he/it slapped them in the face.

Really makes me wonder if the likes of John Wooden, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Coach K, etc. would even rate a second interview in today's climate. Think any of those guys in their youth would "win the press conference", or as one Dallas radio guy said of Scott Sutton regarding SMU last week, "bring the 'WOW' factor"?

Ultimate example of a clueless athletic department head run amok may be at St. Francis (Pa.), where the AD today fired the head basketball coach and named his own SON the interim coach.

In related news, Southern Mississippi has apparently decided to wait until they hire a new AD (the old one is retiring end of May) before they replace Larry Eustachy.

So help me, if that new AD comes in for three or four hundred grand a year, and the first thing HE does is turn around and hire a search firm for $50,000 or so to hire the new basketball coach, then they ought to fire him right then and there for cause.

Otherwise, why did they waste the entire spring signing period waiting for the new AD to get there?

Wondering if they are going to able to get the SMU thing done for Brown. Jankovich wants specific wording put in there that no matter what he is the next coach. IF the staff they are talking about comes to SMU they are going to get very good players very quickly. Of course may be on probation soon also.

Ya see, this is the sort of thing that happens when you have a rookie coach AND a rookie AD at the same time: mountains growing from molehills, while everyone tries to figure out who should actually be calling the shots:

Bo Ryan Replaced By Ross Parmely As Public Enemy Numero Uno (Jeff Goodman, CBSsports.com)

I truly doubt Bubba Cunningham and Doug Wojcik would have let this thing escalate to national status. Painful lessons being learned right now at 11th & Harvard.

more on Parmley being in over his head...LINK...time for TU to admit the wrong and move on...Manning just lost his back court.

"They exposed their hand," said Mike Clarkson about Tulsa. "The athletic director is just so arrogant, and naive. He just didn't know what he was doing. Once he did that (blocked Jordan), I knew he was in trouble. And I think he knew it."

One of Clarkson's teammates, Eric McClellan, is also looking to transfer. At first, McClellan, like Clarkson, was not granted a release to all schools, but has since been granted that wish as Tulsa made a change in its decision.

"They weren't going to release Eric at all," stated Mr. Clarkson. "He got released because of Jordan. What they're trying to do is damage assessment. I've got my attorney and my wife and we're ready to fly up for this committee hearing. They didn't expect we'd have the ammo we have."

So now, the next thing in the process is a committee meeting with Tulsa faculty members and administrators on April 26, according to Mr. Clarkson. That's where the Clarksons will be able to present their case and appeal the decision.

"It consists of faculty members that aren't part of the athletic department," Mr. Clarkson told Orangebloods.com today about the committee. "If we didn't go the route we went and were able to establish what we did, I think it would have been a biased committee. However, with Eric being released totally today it changes things. You can't amend a national letter of intent. I'm wondering if they'll even go [that far]. They might try to save face."

Wow.... Wonder what Manning thinks about his AD - and his depleted roster? If Maduka (post player) can't come back because of health issues, TU could be in a world of trouble next year.

Revised Eagleman prediction for this years' Mayors Cup game......ORU 99.....TU 47...... :nerd:

Man this is getting worse! That is going to be a rough yr for TU. the big guy is done with BB also. Might win 8 games next yr