Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Speaking of new coaches Larry Brown is up and running at SMU. Has 2 transfers coming in from Arizona and Illinois. Not sure how long he will be there but they will be really good pretty quickly. Of course they may be on probation by the time he leaves.

LOL....Larry will do things "the right way".....no probation likely but he won't be around by 2015...... :?:

• 1 month later...

Bill Self replaced Barry Hinson with former Nebraska head coach, Doc Sadler as Director of Basketball Operations at Kansas.

Interesting.

I took that as, "I need to keep my hand in the game, and there's no one going to take me for HC right now, so I'll take anything at a good program."

It seems the only thing that can make sense out of this thing.

DOBO at Kansas pays as well or better than most low-level D-1 jobs (and even some mid-major gigs), and it keeps you in the fraternity.

• 9 months later...

“@THefferman_SI: Just spoke to @CoachBHinson. He said Texas Tech reached out to him, and he politely said he was not interested in the job.

#Salukisâ€

Tech may have their coach...NMSU coach met with school chancellor.

"According to sources in Lubbock, New Mexico State men's basketball coach Marvin Menzies is in Lubbock, Texas, to interview with the Red Raiders chancellor for the head coaching position at Texas Tech.

Menzies has been NMSU's coach for six seasons since 2007, and has an overall record of 126-79, and has taken the Aggies to three NCAA Tournament's, losing to Michigan State, Indiana and Saint Louis in the first round."

Coach Sutton is going to be an ORU icon especially when he passes 300 wins.....can 500 be far behind.....as for the big BCS jobs.....Scott Sutton  = always a bridesmaid...never a bride..... :nerd:

Once he eventually gets an NCAA tournament win on his résumé, that could change in a hurry.

UPDATE: Menzies confirms trip to Lubbock, tells newspaper he has no interest in Tech job

(excerpt)

New Mexico State coach Marvin Menzies said he was in Lubbock on Tuesday but has no interest in pursuing Texas Tech's open basketball coaching position, the Las Cruces-Sun News reported Tuesday evening.

An El Paso news station had earlier reported Menzies arrived in Lubbock to speak with Tech officials about the job.

Menzies told the newspaper, though, he plans to remain the head coach of the Aggies, a team he has led to three NCAA Tournaments in three seasons as its coach.

Either he was turned down by Texas Tech - or he did not like what he saw/heard when he visited with them.

Tubby Smith is available. I wonder why he wouldn't be in the mix. Maybe he doesn't want to live in Lubbock?

Maybe he is still in shock from being fired from Minnesota after winning more than 60% of his games, making the NCAA tournament and beating UCLA after having a key player go down to injury, and still recruiting players that were competitive in the best conference in basketball even though he never received the new indoor practice facility that he was promised.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman would take NM State over Texas Tech, too.....no hands down....never thought Scott Sutton was about the money....but maybe he's ready for a bigger challenge in addition to more than doubling his paycheck....still, I think he would be making a mistake leaving ORU..... :nerd:

Scott Sutton Responds To Texas Tech Rumors

(excerpt)

Tulsa's Channel 8 has found out from Coach Sutton himself that he is not headed to Lubbock, TX.  Sutton told John Moss in a text message, "I'm not involved with the job."

The report also tabbed former University of Tulsa head coach Tubby Smith as a possible target for the Red Raiders.  Smith was let go by Minnesota earlier this month.

Steve Alford goes to UCLA. So much for that 10 year contract. On to the next challenge of turning another program into a perennial postseason underachiever.