Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

The average length of Larry Brown's stay in THIRTEEN college and NBA head coaching stops over his career: 2.5 years.

Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head on the whole Shea Seals deal, and why TU hasn't hired him if they are planning to - is it because they think they might have a legitimate shot at Juwan Parker, and don't want to screw it up by hiring Shea and invoking that new rule?

Or, is he still a little radioactive due to the (now expunged) DUI arrest?

But, he did resign from Booker T. for some reason, and he's telling folks around town he will get the TU gig, once BTW's spring semester ends in a couple of weeks.

It's been suggested that TU is somehow trying to circumvent the new rules by having Shea quit so far in advance of naming him to their staff. That way, they are not technically "hiring Juwan Parker's coach"; they're hiring an unemployed guy, and following that logic, would still be allowed to pursue Parker and other BTW players without the 2-year ban coming into play.

If that's the case, they would be really splitting hairs with the NCAA, plus not winning themselves many friends in the college coaching fraternity (if that sort of thing matters to this staff).

LB must have about $100 million in the bank at least....I guess he thinks he's going to take it with him someday when he passes on.....the man definitely can still coach....he will be able to coach until he goes to the grave....the problem with Larry is that if things don't go his way....he loses interest....sounds like SMU will be getting rid of their mediocre players and bringing in some "hired hands" to compete in the Big East.....we all know that is LB isn't winning......he packs it in......sorry but this was a huge mistake by SMU......and we thought they might hire Scott Sutton?..... |(

Just an FYI re: TU's new president: http://www.tulsaworl...7_0_TeUies37689

Wonder how his Rice & SMU connections will play with the TU faithful, considering they already have inferiority complexes about those two schools as it is.

Also, the guy is young for a Division-1 university president (48), and his career appears to have been spent in academia. Will he get involved in Athletics, or does he even care?

Time will tell, but the facts are scary: TU now has a university president who has never been a university president before, an athletic director who has never been a college athletic director before, and a head basketball coach who has never been a college head basketball coach before.

Should be an interesting learning curve to observe...

Someone on TU's Facebook page is already wondering what the new president's commitment to athletics will be.

I suppose ORU will have reason to cross those same bridges sooner or later, but I can't imagine heading into a school year with Scott Sutton, Mike Carter, and Dr. Rutland having left at the same time.

...much less having all three replaced by rookies in their field.

I can't imagine that either, but stranger things have been known to happen at ORU!

If it DID happen, which job would you like to have, OT? We'll need a "Hall of Famer" in at least one of those positions to keep the other two in line!

OT what is the rule on hiring high school coaches and players? I've never heard that before...is that new?

I can't imagine that either, but stranger things have been known to happen at ORU!

If it DID happen, which job would you like to have, OT? We'll need a "Hall of Famer" in at least one of those positions to keep the other two in line!

I'm reminded of the old axiom:

"Those who can...do.

Those who can't...coach."

In response to your comments, I feel a third line is warranted in my case:

"Those who can't do OR coach...post on message boards."

OT what is the rule on hiring high school coaches and players? I've never heard that before...is that new?

Here's the rule, which is only a year or so old:

NCAA Bylaw 11.4.2 “In men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department non-coaching staff position.â€

And here's an article where a kid from NYC played at Arizona his freshman year, and wanted to transfer back home to St. John's, but couldn't because his former high school coach had since joined the SJU staff:

NCAA Rule Blocks Momo Jones Move To St. John's (Sporting News)

Based on that interpretation, I don't see how TU can recruit Juwan Parker (or any other junior or senior-to-be BTW player) if they name Shea Seals to a "non-coaching" position on their staff, no matter when they do it.

Just wondering why they didn't name Shea a full-fledged assistant (on paper), and instead make one of the other newbie assistants the "Director of Student-Athlete Development", or whatever (on paper). The whole thing is weird...

Shea did resign from TPS . . . effective the end of his contract. TPS is very strict on enforcing their contract to terms of the school year. The current school term ends May 22nd. So, essentially Shea is still under contract until that date.

That said, he has also already started moving his stuff into his new office on campus. and we should hear an announcement within days of 05/22/12.

The reasoning behind not hiring him to a floor coach position has everyone scratching their heads. The only thing that might make sense is that Juwan has conveyed an impression, if not actually said it outright that TU is not that high on his list of schools. It is believed that Memphis is currently #1, and a very likely destination. One thing definately certain is that he will not be coming to TU.

UNLESS. . . Does the rules only apply to Scholarship student-athletes, or does it apply to all student-athletes(walk-ons included) If it is just scholarship players, then Juwan could "Walk-on" at TU since his father is a Faculty member. But I believe that the rule applies to ALL student-athletes. Thus the reason why I said in my last post that Seals reported position prevents TU from recruiting Juwan, or Juwan has made it clear that he will not be coming to TU.

DM & staff are also heavily recruiting other 2013 guards, Stevie Clark, Jordan Woodward, Leo Svete, Etc. I really like the Svete kid. I believe he is every bit as good as Juwan, and hopefully TU has a decent shot due to his connections to 2 coaches on the new staff.

Also, I remember when Juwan's brother played at TU, and there was reportedly an issue similar to the Jordan Clarkson deal where the dad was "involved". And Jason tended to be a bit of a "Ball Hog". Jason was a great player, but coming off of the JC deal, I don't know that we want to add another player that might have similar "tendancies".

Just had another thought, does that 2yr period go away if he is promoted to a floor coaching position later on?

Bas,

Have seen Stevie Clark play and is a really good small guard. I know ORU likes both he and Woodard. Like to see Kyan reel one of them in.

I think one of the biggest adjustments for Manning is determining what level of kids to go after. As he is used to recruiting at KU where basically no kid is off limits and they can recruit anywhere. Woodberry should be able to help with that. I always find it interesting to listen to guys as they discuss different level of players.

All good points, Bas - it's just a weird rule, and like a lot of other rules/laws, probably started with good intentions but seems riddled with pitfalls and loopholes.

I couldn't help but snicker when I read this:

Manning Names Wendell Moore As Golden Hurricane Third Assistant Coach (Tulsa World)

Here's what made me laugh: Moore has spent the past four years as an assistant coach at UMKC.

"BLAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!!!!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

To be fair how does this hire compare to our hire of Mason who is one year out of the private sector?

To be fair how does this hire compare to our hire of Mason who is one year out of the private sector?

Apples and oranges - I'm guessing Mason's primary responsibility will be recruiting (along with Kyan Brown and Sean Sutton).

Mason gets the nod over Moore for not having to explain why his previous school was so awful for four straight years.

Besides, who wants to be fair when we're talking about TU? :devil:

Besides, who wants to be fair when we're talking about TU? :devil:

I think that's more the reason than anything.

I think that's more the reason than anything.

Honestly, that's not it.

Look at this way: which one of those two coaches would you want on YOUR sideline?

The last person I would want to hire is ANYONE with ANYTHING to do with the debacle at UMKC - it's simply one of the worst programs in D-1, and has been for years.