Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

I know, I know: "TOO SOON!!"

But, let's face it: heads will start to roll as soon as teams are eliminated from their conference tournaments, which start tonight in the America East.

In fact, some teams are ALREADY done for the year, and I will be surprised to see Matt Brown at UMKC survive the week. Wouldn't Tom Hankins or Sean Sutton be great choices for that under-achieving program, especially now that we are leaving the league?

One nearby job that's already open is Air Force, which is of interest locally because a LOT of TU fans are hoping Doug Wojcik might make that move to Colorado Springs.

Could lead to the only case ever of a guy taking a job due to a signing bonus he receives FROM THE SCHOOL HE'S LEAVING.

Not already . . .

We may have more than a passing interest in this year's carousel.

FWIW, I talked at length on Sunday night with someone on the "outside" of the ORU sports community who nonetheless is very well-connected to Scott and the basketball program, and he is CONVINCED that Scott is very happy at ORU and is not looking to leave any time soon.

That being said, I do wonder if Scott, Sean and Tom will all three be back on the ORU bench next season. That's an awful lot of basketball coaching experience right there.

If Dougie Fresh leaves TU maybe Sean will get that job and Mayor's Cup hiatus will remain in place for the forseable future. That would stink.

That would create an interesting situation but with a six year contract in place my guess is that the games would still be played.

UMKC should hire one of the ORU assistants. They have already proven they can recruit KC.

and I will be surprised to see Matt Brown at UMKC survive the week. Wouldn't Tom Hankins or Sean Sutton be great choices for that under-achieving program, especially now that we are leaving the league?

Indeed. If the job does open up and any assistants were interested, they may hope that the A.D. there leaves his post, too. This recent article from a KC media member paints a very troubling picture of UMKC Athletics and the basketball program in particular: http://curtiskitchen.com/umkc-ad-trying-to-leave-badgering-matt-brown/

And so it begins - from the Associated Press today:

"Eastern Illinois men's basketball coach Mike Miller will not return next year after 7 seasons. Miller was 75-130 overall and 44-84 in the Ohio Valley Conference."

UMKC should hire one of the ORU assistants. They have already proven they can recruit KC.

Some of ORU's most exciting players of recent years have come from KC - I hope we don't lose our connection to that area, even though we're headed south in our affiliations.

That would create an interesting situation but with a six year contract in place my guess is that the games would still be played.

Oh yea, the contract. I forgot about that. :$

So maybe Doogie goes to Air Force (he's got the hair cut for it) and TU hires Sean. Sean finds the prospect of coaching against his brother (and the school that gave him a second chance) for the next six years so distasteful that he makes TU buy us out. Then we use the money to buy new chairs for the lower bowl. We get a color that looks better on TV when the seats are empty. How sweet would that be?

UMKC is a nightmare for any coach....they are such a losing program....no way one of our guys goes up to that dump unless they are desperate for a head job.....that being said, we will likely lose one of our guys very soon because of ORU's success........and Sean Sutton to TU?.....highly unlikely it seems to TheEagleman.....not a chance that Sean wants to play Scott every year......Sean Sutton will get a job somewhere someday but he might need another year or two as an assistant to prove he's not going to fall off the wagon....... :!:

Blue.

Blue would be a good choice. I was just kidding about white. What we need to do is have a study done to see what color blends with the crowd best to hide the seats. I'd go with chartreuse or fuchsia if it made the arena look fuller.

I'm not sure any color will hide empty seats, though. I've watched games all season long in half-full arenas, and the color of the seats doesn't seem to help hide the empties, no matter what color they are.

There are about 5000 yellow seats in the Mabee center and about 5000 blue seats. Maybe we should just switch the blue and yellow seats around and fill the lower bowl with blue seats. :nerd:

TheEagleman agrees....switch the Blue and the Gold seats.....never made any sense to have the gold on the lower bowl.....althought back in my days as an ORU student there were never any empty seats to hide..... :nerd:

I am at the OK State vs KU game and there are lots of empty orange seats - especially in the upper deck.