Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Actually looks like 2 candidates are ahead of Scott: http://espn.go.com/d...ngs-source-says

good news...i was starting to get a little worried.

Larry Brown is such a phony. I remember hearing him years ago say that as his career wound down he wanted to move to a small town in the middle of nowhere and coach high school basketball, because it was the purest form of the game. It would seem, SMU waving around 2 million more than got the old guy's attention.

Well Larry Brown will win the press conference and then be gone in 2 yrs. Makes no sense at all. Benford's connections there are pretty good. I think this is all over by Tues or Wed as they need a coach quickly.

TheEagleman has tons of experience with Larry Brown from his days here in Philly with the Sixers and Allen Iverson.....honestly, I would trust Iverson before Brown....Larry is ALL about the $$$$.....what does it say that he had John Calipari on his bench as an assistant after he got canned at UMass?....Alum, you are correct....Larry Brown is a complete phony.....don't get me wrong....this guy is a great coach if he has the right players....he can turn lemons into lemonade.....but he jumps to the next team when he gets bored and more cash is offered....can't believe he has much left at 71 yrs of age.....plus, he has the trophy wife and a 2nd set of children.....he really screwed us here in Philly when he left us for the Detroit Pistons and surprise he also screwed the Pistons when he left them for the Knicks a few years later for like $8million a year.....then he just quit in NY and the Knicks had to cut a deal to dump him...the NY Knicks situation was a disgrace......Larry Brown has no integrity at all.....when he left Philly for Detroit.....the headline on the the sports page was...."He Piston Us"........and that was true......Brown is all about his bank account.....SMU makes a huge mistake if they hire him over Scott Sutton......but....oh well..... |(

SMU officials meeting with LB in the next few days....they will get what they deserve if they hire him.....it will take over well over $2 million......that's chump change for Larry......his last coaching stint with the Charlotte Bobcats was a total debacle.....if he doesn't win....he quits on his team.....good luck, Mustangs..... |(

Looks like Larry Brown is a done deal to SMU and they are talking about Buzz Peterson as ASS. Coach and coach in waiting also! WOW!

SMU lost the press conference several candidates ago.

Now it's just a matter of not looking like complete idiots.

And frankly, I think that ship has sailed, too.

P.S. At this point, if things don't work out with Larry Brown, doesn't Scott Sutton have to say "no" if SMU finally gets around to calling?

If Scott did take the job, how does either party avoid the appearance of a last-second singles bar hook-up at closing time?

My money is on SMU choosing Benford (assistant at Marquette) as their next coach. Can't believe they would pick Larry Brown - a 71 year old NBA coach who has not been at the collegiate level for over 20 years.

$1 million dollars a year can make the hook up look really nice.:) I would think Benford would be the back up plan right now.

$1 million dollars a year can make the hook up look really nice. :)

If that were completely true, wouldn't they have a coach by now?

That $1,000,000-a-year is apparently saddled with some SERIOUS baggage.

LB is getting around 2.2 million! They offered 2 million to Buzz Williams and Majerus also.

The $1 million is for Benford or the like.

That is a really tough job as i think it is more difficult than the TU job. Going to the Big East is not fun and their students don't ever go to the games either.

Good luck to SMU.....if LB comes aboard and they are 13-17 in year one....TheEagleman's bet is that Larry becomes very disinterested.....he will have to recruit guys that "play the right way"....or he loses interest......the Mustangs should go with the guy from Marquette or Sutton.....they would be better off and save over $1 million per year...... :nerd:

Looks like Larry Brown is a done deal to SMU and they are talking about Buzz Peterson as ASS. Coach and coach in waiting also! WOW!

I think that pretty well describes Buzz!! :-D

Ouch!........... :nerd:

Yahoo Sports reporting that Larry Brown is finalizing his deal with SMU:

Larry Brown in Contract Talks With SMU

My jaw dropped when I read the line about Brown consulting with Kentucky's John Calipari and sleezeball agent/runner William "Worldwide Wes" Wesley about putting his "staff" together at SMU.

My gosh: Larry Brown, Worldwide Wes, and SMU's big-money boosters, all conspiring together to win at any cost?

The Ponies may be on probation before they even take the floor for their first Big East game in January, 2014.