Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Most TU fans would argue that they didn't trust Wojcik to handle end of game situations either.

Maybe history has a way of repeating itself???? :?::?: :-D

I'm reminded of the great scene from one of my favorite movies of the past decade, "Charlie Wilson's War", where Philip Seymour Hoffman tells Tom Hanks the story of the Zen master and the little boy:

"A boy gets a beautiful horse for his 14th birthday, and all the people in the village say, 'What a wonderful blessing!' But the Zen master in the village merely says, 'We'll see'.

"A couple of years later, the boy gets thrown by the horse, and the boy's leg gets badly broken in the process. 'What a curse that horse is!' said the villagers. 'We'll see' said the Zen master."

"A couple of years go by, and then the king of the land orders all able-bodied young men off to war. But the boy doesn't have to go, because of his broken leg. 'What a blessing that horse has turned out to be!' say the villagers."

"'We'll see', said the Zen master.

Moral to the story: TU has a new basketball coach, with as many qualities as question marks. Everyone seems eager to make him into either a savior, or a fraud.

We'll see...

I love the story because it is so true. Nobody can tell right now if this is a brilliant or not-so brilliant move. Time will tell.

It does appear that TU has won the press conference though. Lots of good PR about the hiring of Danny Manning as head coach.

The staff that Manning puts together will say something about him. He would be smart to hire at least one assistant who has been a head coach in the past instead of hiring a bunch of his friends. Scott Sutton would have been a safer and wiser choice IMHO but I am thrilled that they didn't hire him.

His first big "recruiting" test will be to keep Clarkson. I think he will stay, but if Clarkson leaves you can pencil in a "W" vs. TU in December.

Not that I necessarily think it's a "bad hire" or that Manning can't be a good coach. It just seems like an odd hire for a program as proud (or prideful) as TU. It feels very gimmicky, like a minor league sports team bringing in a celebrity to drum up ticket sales for the short term. Especially since Tubby Smith was also a candidate. Times have really changed.

I also did not realize that Manning scored nearly 3,000 points at KU and was on an NBA roster as recently as 2003.

Doesn't every head coach have to be a first-time head coach? By the logic some of you guys are using, the coaching profession is eventually going to die because all new head coaches are going to fail.

True, but most guys don't wait until their mid 40's to become a coach of any type... he has only been an assistant coach for two years. Not saying he can't or won't do a great job. He certainly has been around great coaching (Brown, Williams and Self) in college and the NBA. He has never ran a program (HS, juco or college) and he is now stepping into a demanding (fans & administration) positon. He certainly has a lot going for him - but to say it is not fraught with risk is to deny the obvious.

Doesn't every head coach have to be a first-time head coach? By the logic some of you guys are using, the coaching profession is eventually going to die because all new head coaches are going to fail.

What has he done (yet) to justify either end of the success/failure spectrum?

I CAN tell you this much, though: if Tom Hankins is some day soon the next head coach at ORU, there is NO WAY ORU fans would put the same kind of unrealistic expectations on him that are presently being heaped on Manning.

As evidence, just watch what happens if, in his introductory press conference, Manning says anything about TU fans needing to be "patient", or that winning might "take time". Or, even worse, if he says something similar following a bad loss in the early going this fall.

The mushroom cloud billowing from the headquarters of InsideTulsaSports.com will be visible from outer space.

True.

Manning is basically an unknown quantity. Just because a person was a great player doesn't make them a good coach.

Even Steve Alford who was just as an accomplished college player as Manning started out at the DIII level in North Manchester, Indiana.

Could Danny Manning end up being pretty good? Sure, but the answer is nobody really knows right now. I think it does come off as sort of a gimmick.

Wow! Wojcik lands a job before TU officially introduces their new coach. That was fast.

Good for him. Would be pretty funny if he ended up playing Tulsa in a holiday tournament of some sort, or the NIT.

Can't honestly imagine a scenario where the two schools would meet in the NCAA tournament anytime soon.

So it appears that Scott Sutton will remain at ORU for at least another year and probably longer.....TheEagleman doesn't see us as having a particularly dominating squad next year for Scott to improve his resume....glad to see that our staff should be back.... :nerd: