Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Rumor Of The Moment at 11th & Harvard: Orlando "Tubby" Smith.

Seriously.

Seriously??

If it happens, I would be beyond shocked. The dude makes around $2 million a year at Minnesota, and while the Gophers were a bit of a disappointment this year in not making the NCAA tournament, they've still advanced to the Final Four of the NIT. It's not like the wolves are at the door.

Not sure what makes some TU faithful think he would voluntarily give up 75% of his current salary just to move back to T-Town. It was suggested that TU might appeal to the 61-year-old Smith because (among other things), they have a practice facility and a really fancy scoreboard (seriously - that's what it said).

C'mon - if that sort of thing really mattered to Tubby, why leave the Taj Mahal that is Kentucky?

From what I've read, it appears the rumor of Tubby coming back is built around the following supposition: TU has reportedly not yet begun interviewing candidates, so that MUST mean they're waiting to talk to a head coach who's still playing games, and Tubby fits that bill.

Well, yeah, but so are Tom Izzo, Bill Self, and Roy Williams - does that make them candidates, too?

Greg Kampe has Oakland in the semi's of the CIT - are they waiting for him?

If the delay is intentional, isn't it more likely the powers-that-be at TU might in fact be waiting to talk to an assistant who's still involved in post-season play?

One report I saw said the rumor of Tubby coming back to Tulsa - along with the absence of any denial from Smith - must mean something is brewing. "Where there's smoke, there's fire," was the breathless assessment.

Really??

Beg to differ - sometimes, where there's smoke, there's nothing more than smoldering pile of you-know-what.

Stranger things have happened.

But, I understand where a lot of people see this as Wild, as in "There really is an Easter Bunny!" type of wild.

As they used to say, and I guess they still do, sort of, in TV - "Stay Tuned!!!"

I'm dissapointed that TU has not talked to Scott already. The word I had was that there were several key donors that were pushing for Scott to be the #1. And that may have been true at the time. As we all know, things can change suddenly in this field.

If this current rumor is true, then clearly Scott isn't that #1. And I wouldn't blame him if he laughed in their faces should they come calling, now.

i think TU is waiting on Jankovich at Illinois State.

They lost to Stanford in the NIT Monday night.

so much for that theory. i thought illinois state was still playing. maybe they are waiting on Tubby, but that sure seems like a long shot.

It appears they are targeting an assistant coach somewhere. If the salary amounts are correct, it will be difficult (not impossible) to land a current head coach. Was Tubby Smith an assistant (Kentucky?) before he took the TU job?

If Scott Sutton goes to TU....he's off my Christmas Card list for sure.....Tubby Smith?..... :rofl:

Maybe they're wanting to interview the guy from Middle Tennessee - they just lost to Minnesota tonight in the NIT quarterfinals.

If they are in fact waiting to beg "talk to" Tubby, I guess they're going to have to wait a few more days, 'cause the Gophers are headed to The Big Apple!

Duquesne coach Ron Everhart was fired today (3/23) - creating another opening.

Posters at RamNation.com (Colorado State) think that their coach (Tim Miles) is going to Nebraska. Rumors are that a press conference is scheduled for tomorrow.

South Carolina media and message boards are guessing that their candidates are: Frank Martin from Kansas State, Greg Marshall from Wichita State and Tubby Smith from Minnesota. There are rumors that either Martin or Marshall will be named early next week. Which means neither will be. Have to think that firing their coach after three years is not a good way to entice other head coaches to come to their program.

Not happy with they way the TU search is going. Appears Scott has dropped to #4, now. And the Tubby deal is still on but looks soooo thin.

No way Jankois even in the top 7-8.

Looks like Bryce Drew, Danny Manning, Scott Cross, then Scott Sutton. With The two Scott's flip flopped.

This is starting to look really bad for TU, and unfortunately it may have a trickle down affect with relationship with ORU.

Still hearing Scott will be interviewd in the next three days. At least there is that. If he makes a good presentation to the committee, the list will be jumbled, yet again.

Stay tuned my Golden Eagle buddies.

Bryce Drew and Danny Manning? Wow. That would be good for ORU.... and not good for TU.

Bryce Drew?....Danny Manning?......this just keeps getting better each day...... :rofl:

If TU hired Tubby Smith, that's one thing.

But if they pass on Scott in favor of Bryce Drew or Danny Manning, I think it will light a fire under this coaching staff that we have not yet seen to this point, especially in regards to statewide recruiting.

If TU hired Tubby Smith, that's one thing.

But if they pass on Scott in favor of Bryce Drew or Danny Manning, I think it will light a fire under this coaching staff that we have not yet seen to this point, especially in regards to statewide recruiting.

With both D'Andre Wright and James Woodard signing with TU, our in state recruiting  could use a jolt anyway.