Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Scott Sutton at SMU in the Big East?....coaching against Georgetown, Villanova, Temple, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc.....every night?......not happening, my friends.....TheEagleman can't see Scott in that kind of pressure cooker for 20 games per year......I love Coach Sutton but he would need a lot of hankies to wipe his brow for the entire game......that's a big jump from the Summit or Southland...... :!:

OT,

Good thoughts. As usual.

I doubt any of those TU fans you speak of, that seak out against ORU repeatedly, have very much influence in this decision at all.Let's hope not.

However, In the games that I have been able to attend at the MC I have seen a couple of fairly influential TU people. Were they there scouting Scott?

Maybe, and perhaps

There is one poster on our board that has matter of factly said flat out that the deal is done and Sutton will be the next HC at TU.

Do I think that it is true? No. But only because it is so early in the process, and I feel it would reflect poorly on any candidate if they wern't chosen form a group of qualified candidates.

IOW, it would be a cloud haning over his being chosen without some diligent consideration of multiple candidates. Unfair to Scott, and a huge strike against the

administration.

They may offer it to Scott, because he IS high on their list. But, if they do, it will likely be after the Final Four, and after talking to several candidates. The way it should be.

OT,

Good thoughts. As usual.

I doubt any of those TU fans you speak of, that seak out against ORU repeatedly, have very much influence in this decision at all.Let's hope not.

However, In the games that I have been able to attend at the MC I have seen a couple of fairly influential TU people. Were they there scouting Scott?

Maybe, and perhaps

There is one poster on our board that has matter of factly said flat out that the deal is done and Sutton will be the next HC at TU.

Do I think that it is true? No. But only because it is so early in the process, and I feel it would reflect poorly on any candidate if they wern't chosen form a group of qualified candidates.

IOW, it would be a cloud haning over his being chosen without some diligent consideration of multiple candidates. Unfair to Scott, and a huge strike against the

administration.

They may offer it to Scott, because he IS high on their list. But, if they do, it will likely be after the Final Four, and after talking to several candidates. The way it should be.

Two past presidents of the Hurricane Club have been season ticket holders for years (one for 10 years). They love both programs.

Matt Doherty officially axed at SMU this morning.

Matt Doherty Out At Southern Methodist (CBSsports.com)

That's going to make the TU search even more interesting: they are basically looking for (and can only get) the same kind of guy.

No doubt a candidate might be tempted to play the two schools off each other, in order to get a sweeter deal.

...and, within minutes of Doherty, this:

South Carolina Axes Darrin Horn As Head Coach (CBSsports.com)

If Gregg Marshall leaves Wichita State as expected to coach the Gamecocks, Scott Sutton may be on as many as five different short lists (Southern Illinois, Nebraska, Tulsa, SMU, Wichita State).

Here's the burning question: which of those five jobs is the better gig?

And the Illinois job is still open - which could cause another mid-major job opening. It is going to be interesting to see what happens.

Some people are saying that Scott Sutton is also a candidate for the open Nebraska position. Dana Altman (Oregan coach who formerly was at Creighton - and Arkansas for a day) is also being mentioned for the Cornhusker job.

(Southern Illinois, Nebraska, Tulsa, SMU, Wichita State).

Here's the burning question: which of those five jobs is the better gig?

Nebraska

WSU

Tulsa

Southern Illinois

SMU

It depends on where you want to live, who the AD is and what kind of boss he is, expectations of the fans/administraton - and how relaistic they are, as well as resources - including how much they will pay & length of contract.

Nebraska is in the Big 10 but is definitely a football school. Hard to win there.

Wichita State is the only game in town and the community really supports the team. The coach is king in the city - if he is winning.

Southern Illinois is isolated but has good tradition.

SMU is a perenial under-achiever with no fan support. Moving to the Big East and will have low expectations for a while. There is potential, but playing in the Big East will be difficult. Nice place to live though. And they probably will pay well.

good points ORUTerry.

i picked Nebraska because of the Big 10, facilities, and it will be the highest paying job. they have a brand new practice facility and a new arena opening in 2013.

looked up the 990 for SMU and they payed Doherty around 620k for the 09-10 school yr. pretty similar to Wojcik's pay at Tulsa.

The 990 may not tell the whole story with some of these coaches: they get endorsement money as well as income from camps, etc.

I think Nebraska has potential but not sure if it can ever be realized. It is a bit like Penn State - a football school that has had very limited basketball success.

You better get a nice buyout if you go to Neb. as i think that would be the worst situation for a new coach as the Big 10 is brutal in BB. Hard to win there.

SMU going to the Big East is no picnic and you will have to get a recruiter for the DFW area and get some local kids. Of course you will also have to deal with the AAU coaches from that area which are some of the worst also.

Wichita St is the best in my opinion as only game in town and good tradition.

If you can keep the kids at Tulsa that is a good spot for next year.

TU's Jordan Clarkson contacted the Tulsa World about leaving this morning. I think OU & Kruger probably end up with a couple of their recruits.

Well, actually it was Jordan Clarkson's dad that called Eric Bailey at The World wanting to give a "statement".

For all we know, Daddy is the reason Jordan wanted to get out of Texas - may not be speaking for his son at all.

Coaching changes can certainly disrupt rosters - part of the process.

But most players and recruits calm down once the new guy is on board - unless you're Rotnei Clarke...

Most players are better off staying where they are rather than transferring and taking a chance on a new school/system. Of course, there are circumstances where a change of scenery make sense, but most times not.

Now that will really make the TU fans happy! Gold may be jumping out his window right now.

Gosh. That would be so tragic.

Scott Sutton isn't going to Tulsa.....and probably not SMU either.....he'll be back....ORU is such a nice job....where can you find such little job pressure for about $400k per year?..... :?: