Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

i'm guessing all the years were not guaranteed. he made around 600k --- so maybe he got all the first yr, 1/2 the second, and nothing for the third. just a guess but that would be your 900k number.

• Upvote 1

i'm guessing all the years were not guaranteed. he made around 600k --- so maybe he got all the first yr, 1/2 the second, and nothing for the third. just a guess but that would be your 900k number.

We also know how TU handled the $75,000 buyout with ORU this season . . .

Ummm no, I don't think that was public knowledge....only that they did buyout this year's game but no figures stating what it was. :?::tmi:

Well...if Scott Sutton goes to TU......the next coach at ORU should be Hankins....he's a top recruiter and he seems like the guy doing all the talking at the end of games in our huddle.....TheEagleman hopes we go that route instead of Sean Sutton....because if that happens....Hankins probably goes with Scott..... :!:

i don't think scott will leave for TU, but i'd like to see sean or corey williams get the job if scott moves on.

Corey Williams would be a formidable recruiter against ORU. I believe that FSU's recent success is related to Corey's influence.

Selfishly, I would love to see our coaching staff stay in tact, but I also want to see good things happen for them and their families.

Corey Williams would be a formidable recruiter against ORU. I believe that FSU's recent success is related to Corey's influence. Selfishly, I would love to see our coaching staff stay in tact, but I also want to see good things happen for them and their families.

I think you're right about Corey, Bogus. I've watched several FSU games this season (wish I'd seen the FSU-NC game today), and my thought has been - could Corey POSSIBLY be interested in coming back to ORU some time in the future after years of the high energy environment of Florida State and the ACC? Maybe so - hard to know what's inside a man - but it certainly would be a different environment than he's experienced the last few years.

I think you're right about Corey, Bogus. I've watched several FSU games this season (wish I'd seen the FSU-NC game today), and my thought has been - could Corey POSSIBLY be interested in coming back to ORU some time in the future after years of the high energy environment of Florida State and the ACC? Maybe so - hard to know what's inside a man - but it certainly would be a different environment than he's experienced the last few years.

Job security, income & location. Careers can end or launch at TU. What would it do for his (Corie's) career vs staying where he is? Income - does he make as much as an assistant as he would at TU as a head coach? His family was happy here but they seem really happy in Florida.

I honestly don't think TU will hire Scott Sutton.

There's a vocal minority of TU fans who feel he's just been "an ORU guy" for too long. They will never accept him as one of their own, especially if he went through a stretch where he wasn't winning. And they feel it's "beneath" TU to hire another ORU coach.

And there's another faction at TU that simply hate "all things Sutton", stemming from their decades-long frustration with Eddie Sutton when he wouldn't play TU while at Arkansas and Oklahoma State. The last thing they want to see is Eddie Sutton sitting in a second-row seat behind the bench at every home game in the Reynolds Center.

These groups are quick to point out any blemish, such as our loss at Western Illinois, as a reason for not hiring Scott: "See?? He can't win the big games, either! We need someone who can!", etc., etc.

Now, I don't know how many of these folks have any influence in the hiring process, but it appears the next hire will be an attempt to galvanize the TU faithful and create some excitement in the program. I'm not sure Scott meets those criteria, and I think the powers that be will make sure their next coach is someone who - at least on paper - looks like they can.

Do I think Scott would make a good coach them?

Absolutely.

Do I think he would take the job if the money was right?

Probably.

But, do I think they will offer it to him?

Nope.

Well said, OT. I'd think that a Sutton would have some of the very same reservations, from the other side.

Among my biggest reservations about Scott going to TU since that talk began is the whether or not he fits this description: "the next hire will be an attempt to galvanize the TU faithful and create some excitement in the program." Whether they love him or hate him, Scott is a known commodity to those at 15th and Harvard. Not really a mystic there. Now, I know if he WINS at TU they'll love him regardless, but I don't know that he'd bring the excitement to the program that a less well-known coach would.

Great points OT and TMH. Scott has always said it would take something really special to cause him to leave ORU and TU in its current state doesn't fit the bill.

I am concerned about Nebraska. I suspect with the improvements they have made and their affiliation with the Big 10 that they will have $ to throw at their preferred candidate. That could be perceived as pretty special.

SMU is the job that scares me: headed to the Big East, no ghosts for the next coach to live up to, will probably pay well, needs someone who has recruited Texas, and who can rub elbows with the blue-bloods.

Would have to imagine the Sutton name would still carry a lot of panache in Dallas with the SMU powers-that-be...

Scott can get the low down on Nebraska from Doc Sadler in person on Wednesday night.

I am with OT - the SMU job seems like the more realistic choice. But that depends on whether Scott & family wants to leave Tulsa or not. If he really wants to stay in Tulsa - and wants a bigger paycheck, TU seems to be the way to go. Could be an interesting couple of weeks.

SMU is the job that scares me: headed to the Big East, no ghosts for the next coach to live up to, will probably pay well, needs someone who has recruited Texas, and who can rub elbows with the blue-bloods.

Would have to imagine the Sutton name would still carry a lot of panache in Dallas with the SMU powers-that-be...

Gulp.

Is anyone else surprised to hear so MANY talking heads - locally AND nationally - saying they doubt Scott Sutton would go to Tulsa because it's not that much of a move up, and that it's a place where he would have a harder time reaching the NCAA tournament?

I'll bet every time something like that is said on TV or radio, TU fans scream a collective, "NOOOOO!!!!!" :@

Butler to the A-10 seems like a no brainer. Wonder if the Horizon would go after Oakland.