Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

While the gap is not as large as it was when Self left, TU is still a better job. TU is better mostly due to conference affiliation and financial resources. The step down in conference probably will not help retain Coach Sutton. I think Mike Carter's comment was wanting to see a friend attain personal goals. Change could be a good thing for both Coach Sutton and for ORU basketball.

I have heard the Sutton rule is that you only move to a school that is a top 3 job in their conference. Is TU a top 3 job in the new MWC/C-USA?

Having said all that, I hope Coach Sutton stays at ORU for a long time. As ORUTerry noted above, he is a perfect fit for ORU.

If that "rule" about only taking jobs that are (or can be) in the top 3 of a conference is really the case, then I hope Scott is truly happy at ORU.

Because no coach from a little private school in the Southland Conference is going to GET that level of job, with the possible exception being one of the better schools in the Missouri Valley or Conference USA.

One of those two schools is likely Nebraska.

But the other one? A BCS school?

Illinois?

South Carolina?

SMU? (technically a BCS school now that it is joining the Big East)

The rumors around town right now are that TU either hasn't even contacted Scott yet; or they HAVE, but aren't offering him much more money than he currently makes at ORU.

If either is true, will the knowledge that Scott is presently interviewing for bigger/better paying jobs change the minds of the TU brass?

One of those two schools is likely Nebraska.

But the other one? A BCS school?

Illinois?

South Carolina?

SMU? (technically a BCS school now that it is joining the Big East)

The rumors around town right now are that TU either hasn't even contacted Scott yet; or they HAVE, but aren't offering him much more money than he currently makes at ORU.

If either is true, will the knowledge that Scott is presently interviewing for bigger/better paying jobs change the minds of the TU brass?

There is so much about this that is hilarious - first, we've been told for weeks that the Scott Sutton/TU was a "done deal"; second, that he'd double his money (which is already very good for a low major at ORU) going to TU, which apparently ISN'T the case; third, that Scott would be interested in TU period, much less when he can get interviews at power-6 type schools without them. When I saw the buy-out of Wojcik, I realized that they DON'T pay all that much better than the school that they have so much disdain for. All this time I thought they were big-time.

I don't have a problem with Scott leaving. I DO have a problem with him going across town to a school who continues to heap condescension and insults on the school that Scott Sutton has worked for for seventeen years. If Scott is able to leap-frog over that little program at 15th and Harvard, so much the better.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a problem with Scott leaving. I DO have a problem with him going across town to a school who continues to heap condescension and insults on the school that Scott Sutton has worked for for seventeen years. If Scott is able to leap-frog over that little program at 15th and Harvard, so much the better.

+1000

+1000

Pretty much how I see it.

TU is not going to be in the top 3 in the new C-USA / MWC no matter what coach they end up with. With Colorado St., UNLV, & New Mexico in that league TU will have to struggle to compete just like they did with Memphis.

Not according to their fans. They should be in the tourney every year.

They are talking about the head coach at Murray st. . Why would he take the job except for $$? He is going to get a big raise to around $400,000 is TU offering $700,000? If not they aren't getting those type of guys. If Wichita st opens is that not a better job than TU. Better fan support and more $$.

Cason the former ass. they are mentioning is 3rd assistant on the Vandy bench would you hire him?

TU will reportedly begin interviewing candidates Tuesday, and it's being said that Scott Sutton will be involved.

If the salary rumors are true, TU is offering less money than any of the jobs where Scott may be a player.

SMU is supposedly offering at least twice what TU is.

So what is Tulsa offering $500,000? No way would Scott take that job at that amount.

What is the difference between TU and SMU? If they are offering $1million and recruiting the DFW area why is that not a better job?

That doesn't make any sense at all. Thought TU would be at the $700,000 level at least.

Neb is a bad job but they are paying over $1 million for their job. Doc will have a nice nestegg after a 4 yr buyout.

If TU doesn't pony up the cash, they may be wishing they had Woj back.

In a couple of years 18-12 with NIT or CBI bid, may look pretty good to them.

If I were an AD, I'd know for 99.7% certain who my next guy was, before I bought out the previous guy.

Do you think TU is going to pay their next basketball coach more than they pay their current football coach, who just went 8-5 and took them to a bowl game?

Do you think Bill Blankenship makes more than $500,000 per year?

If I had to guess: No, and no.

They may have painted themselves into a salary corner when they went cheap on Blankenship - now they will have to live with it.

:handshake: CH. 8 Reported that Miss. State was the other interview along with Nebraska. Sittler is a Nebraska Alum and pushing for Scott to go there.

That was last week before the NIT on 97.1 The Animal

There is so much about this that is hilarious - first, we've been told for weeks that the Scott Sutton/TU was a "done deal"; second, that he'd double his money (which is already very good for a low major at ORU) going to TU, which apparently ISN'T the case; third, that Scott would be interested in TU period, much less when he can get interviews at power-6 type schools without them. When I saw the buy-out of Wojcik, I realized that they DON'T pay all that much better than the school that they have so much disdain for. All this time I thought they were big-time.

what he said...don't forget if Scott stays or lands elsewhere that TU fan will ultimately proclaim that TU was never interested.

Sounds to TheEagleman like Coach Sutton is 98% gone....he's interviewing at a lot of good schools that will at least double his salary.....that indicates he is ready to leave ORU after all these years....I guess the real question is.....who is our next ORU Men's basketball coach?..... :nerd:

Sources: Sutton Interviews For Nebraska Coaching Vacancy (Tulsa World website)

Everyone seems to agree that Scott interviewed for the Nebraska job today, in Atlanta.

But there seems to be a lot of confusion about whether there was a second interview, either today or tomorrow, with South Carolina, Mississippi State, or some other school.

KJRH said tonight that TU is looking for an up-tempo style coach and that Scott is not in the discussion.

the revised article in the tulsa world sounds like there was only one interview in ATL yesterday.

"His name also was tweeted in connection with an SEC vacancy, but a source indicated that Sutton has no other interviews scheduled at this time. "

on a completely different note, Arizona might be on the schedule next year:

"The Arizona Wildcats have added Michigan and are close to adding Oral Roberts to their future men’s basketball schedules.

Ryan Reynolds, the Wildcats’ director of men’s basketball operations, said Arizona completed a contract with Michigan to begin a two-year home-and-home series in Ann Arbor, Mich., in 2013-14. It will conclude at McKale Center in 2014-15.

Oral Roberts is likely to be added as a one-time guarantee game for next season."

KJRH said tonight that TU is looking for an up-tempo style coach and that Scott is not in the discussion.

Wouldn't you think TU would be more focused on finding a coach who knows how to win games rather than one who likes to run? A 15-15 team which plays uptempo is still just a .500 squad.