Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Bryce Drew and Danny Manning? Wow. That would be good for ORU.... and not good for TU.

Not sure how you mean bad for TU?

Bryce Drew is in experienced as a HC, but he does have his bloodline & NBA experience going for him.

Manning, he is regarded as a great teacher. Look at the big men at KU, since he has been there. All have gone on to play after college. TU's big men would be salivating. And, he has been under the tutoring of Self. And we all know how good he is.

I'm not ignorant to their drawbacks. Both would have to put extremely good staffs together. And both would likely retain TU's current recruiting ace, Ballard. And the lack of xperience would take time to prove whether it is a good move.

Sutton was interviewed on Friday.

Danny Manning & Terry Evans interviewed this weekend.

Heard Scott's interview went as expected.

As Expected???.....he's the best candidate.....should have gotten an offer.....why waste time with Manning and Evans?......they sound like a singing duo.....probably would have a better chance at recording a hit record than they do winning an NCAA title at TU..... :nerd:

Sutton was interviewed on Friday.

Danny Manning & Terry Evans interviewed this weekend.

Heard Scott's interview went as expected.

thanks for the update. any word on when you guys are expecting to announce the new coach?

Jason - not privy to that, just what I heard.

Eagleman5 - I would imagine that Scott is a known factor. IOW I am certain there are those on the omitted that have seen him coach, and therefore it is familiar. The questions likely to be rised were the obvious ones. Staff, recruiting, etc.

The answers were the expected ones. No surprises.

As to Manning & Evans, Manning has traits that would be wanted, and he was highly recommended by Self when asked about potential replacements. Evans has had success at the D2level, and finished 2nd to Kruger at OU last year. Also, there was a Donor tht asked that he be contacted. ;^\

As to the Time frame - they are going to make another run at Tubby. Yes there is still a chance, however slim. And there is mutual interest. So, I would say Thursday at the earliest, Saturday/Sunday latest.

And they are still in the hunt for Drew who should interview tomorrow. He ould come in and blow their doors off, and then we could hear something earlier.

Oh, and as to the quetion not asked, No, I do not think Sutton is high on the list any longer. Not eliminated, just not as high.

Edit: Heard a little more on SS.

Apparently the committee was looking for a "My plan to help us attain our goals is . . .", and instead got a "My record speaks for itself." type of interview.

CSU respects decision of coach Miles to leave for Nebraska job

Graham said there already appears to be significant interest in the job and that he's convinced he'll be able to find a coach that can build on the momentum of what Miles created, guiding the Rams to their first NCAA Tournament berth this year since 2003, first 20-win season since 1997-98 and first season ever with three wins over Top 25 programs.

Other possible candidates might include Mike Dunlap, an assistant at St. John's who led Metro State of Denver to Division II national titles in 2000 and 2002; Weber State coach Randy Rahe, a former CSU assistant; Indiana assistant Steve McClain, a former Wyoming coach; Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton; or Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter. Sutton and Jeter reportedly were on Nebraska's list of potential candidates.

"We'll make a good hire," Graham said. "We're going to find a coach that will come into our men's basketball program and build on it. It's our intention to move forward and have the same kind, if not better, results than we had in 2012."

Colorado State would seem like a fantastic destination for any coach from the Summit League - or the Southland Conference, for that matter.

But, it's also just the sort of job Scott Sutton has typically passed on - he's just VERY selective, and I'm not sure CSU fits his criteria for his next move.

Now, Kansas State?

Whole 'nuther matter...

Reports seem to indicate that Martin and the KSU AD did not get along. We'll see. Maybe he is just trying to get a raise/contract extension.

Reports seem to indicate that Martin and the KSU AD did not get along. We'll see. Maybe he is just trying to get a raise/contract extension.

I found him to be a very interesting commentator during the tournament last weekend.

Especially the part where he said he paid his high school players when he was coaching in the 1990's. I know he meant that he was helping some desitute young men who needed assistance, but it could be taken the wrong way by the NCAA.

Colorado State would seem like a fantastic destination for any coach from the Summit League - or the Southland Conference, for that matter.

But, it's also just the sort of job Scott Sutton has typically passed on - he's just VERY selective, and I'm not sure CSU fits his criteria for his next move.

Now, Kansas State?

Whole 'nuther matter...

i think the lack of post season wins has kept Coach Sutton from landing a big 6 conference job. he is going to have take a stepping stone job like Tulsa or CSU. i wonder if he regrets turning down WSU.

I paid a visit to the Valpo board today, and learned they had no idea about Bryce Drew being a candidate for Tulsa. And once I told them, they all for the most part thought there was no way Bryce would take the TU job with his parents both fighting cancer AND with all his starters returning to defend their Horizon League regular season title.

And, for those TU fans who are wondering out loud on their message board why an ORU fan is on the Valpo forum talking about Bryce Drew: it sure as heck AIN'T about you guys at 11th & Harvard.

It's about finding any information that might indicate whether we're about to lose our head basketball coach or not.

Well, that, AND poking a stick in the eyes of some of those obnoxious Valpo fans. They haven't changed a bit since they left the conference: they're still obsessed with Butler.

interesting discusion on the Vaplo board. they sure don't think much of TU's basketball tradition.

i listened to some tulsa sports talk on-line during lunch and Big Al stated something to the effect that the search firm is recommending Drew, but that the boosters are holding out for a bigger name (i.e. Tubby Smith)

interesting discusion on the Vaplo board. they sure don't think much of TU's basketball tradition.

i listened to some tulsa sports talk on-line during lunch and Big Al stated something to the effect that the search firm is recommending Drew, but that the boosters are holding out for a bigger name (i.e. Tubby Smith)

*sigh*

Search firms.

They remind me of computer dating.

I'm sure Bryce Drew looks good on paper, but just sayin' - the guy has spent all but his brief pro career in sleepy Valparaiso, IN, playing for his dad, coaching under his dads wing, then one year in charge of his dad's recruits.

If he was out on his own, the TU fan base and the C-USA grind would Eat. Him. Alive.

Bryce Drew might be a fine young man but he's best known for that game winning miracle shot in the first round of the NCAA tournament about a dozen years ago......not sure he's ready to coach a team like TU in the C-USA......TheEagleman is.not wanting to lose Coach Sutton but it almost seems like a no brainer to hire him....then again, we are talking TU here......not a lot of brains up there at 11th and Harvard.....nothing much has changed over the past 40 yrs...... :wasntme: