Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Now, you can rest assured that once TU announces their actual choice, a majority of TU fans will take the "You-didn't-break-up-with-us-Scott-we-broke-up-with-you" attitude, but from all indications, this simply became a situation where Scott was tired of being treated as Plan B.

You're right here OT. A lot of TU fans will use that attitude. But not all of them.

There was a significant number of them that have been questioning why TU was stringing Sutton, and others, along for so long a period. But, the reason was they had a moderately decent shot at Tubby.

Can you blame them for holding off on anyone else as long as there was a glimmer of a chance to get a coach that had won a NC title? Would it have been fair to build their hopes up only to yank the rug out if/when the Tubby deal came thru?

As it was, Tubby finally said exactly what it would take, but TU wasn't willing to commit to his demands. And no, it wasn't all about money.

After Tubby was officially dead, TU likely said they were still goings o interview more candidates. Scott justly decided he didn't feel there was the same level of interest between the two parties, so he moved on.

These same TU fans that were pulling for Scott, are disenchanted with TU's process that let the most viable, and experienced candidate get away. So, no, not every TU fan will be chanting that mantra.

Be carefull with that wide "Golden Haters" net you keep casting over so many TU fans. You just might be surprised how many ORU fans you catch with it. Not to mention who some of them migh turn out to be.

So Manning gets the job at TU according to CBSSports.com tonight......Danny seems like a good guy but I think BasPlayr and his crowd should get used to the thought of 14-17 next season......by the way, Bas.....great ORU season tickets can still be had.... :-D

Our mutually beloved Bill Self is one of many "names" that highly recommended Manning.

Granted it will be a wait and see type hire. But, one thing for certain, our big men could b verrry good.

Word I have is that Win Case is one of his assistants.

If he can keep Ballard and add a couple of other good assistants. . Who knows what might happen.

I'm warming up to him, but he definately isn't what we expected. Still, gotta give him his shot.

I'm still thinkin' 14-17.................. |(

Oh, Bas, you've read enough of my stuff on here and on InsideTulsaSports.com to know I'm just a pot-stirrer.

I have extremely mixed emotions about the whole thing: did I want to see Scott go to TU? Of course not.

But, I do get defensive about the past few days in light of the shabby treatment Scott received in this process: it's becoming painfully obvious that he was TU's "Plan B" all along, and aside from a courtesy interview, was never even really considered for the job.

And, this after hearing all winter long from TU fans, "Boy, if we just had a coach like Scott Sutton, we could win with our talent. Say what you want about Scott, but he sure can coach."

Someone over there; please, tell me: did Scott somehow forget how to coach in the past month? Is he NOT the same guy who won 27 games this past year, in a fashion that most TU fans agree Doug Wojcik could NEVER seem to win? What suddenly happened to make him radioactive?

I can't help but wonder what the response of some TU fans will be in December if ORU wins the Mayor's Cup game at the Mabee Center, especially if the Golden Hurricane looks bad in the process: "Oh, my gosh - we screwed up. We could have had Scott Sutton, and we didn't even try. What have we done??"

How is that going to sit with a first-year coach 10 games into his career? How's it going to sit with the selection committee? And, how's it going to sit with TU ticket holders?

Not our problem, I suppose. All I know is that we get to move forward with a successful, veteran head coach who is amazingly YOUNGER than the unproven rookie across town. And, a coach who may now be HIGHLY motivated to show certain folks in town what he is capable of accomplishing.

I seriously like our chances, in both the short and long run...

while not a big fan, i wish Barry well. at least he did not hold up Bill Self's hightops at this introduction, but i found his conclusion a bit odd.

"I don't have a scarlet letter. I'm not damaged goods."

I assume Barry is referring to doubts among some regarding his ability to lead a team to the NCAA tournament, having so many times been a bridesmaid and never a bride.

Or, he may be referring to rumors that he's a slut.

One or the other.

BREAKING NEWS: Danny Manning has officially been named head coach at TU (snicker).

I'm sure Scott and Sean Sutton are shaking in their boots... :x

OT

It was late into the night, and this recruiting mess has had me going batty. So, I know I came off testy.

I'm just tired of this silly, unnecessary, and quite frankly childish nonsense that goes on from both the TU & ORU fans toward one another.

Stirring the pot can be OK, provided you don't turn the fire up to high. And when it comes to dealings with most of those guys on the TU board, that burner control is very touchy.

We're good though. Or Else I wouldn't keep coming back over here.

If they hire Win Case and can get a veteran coach to come in they will be fine at TU. Manning's name will get him in a lot of doors. Self has done a great job getting his assistants head jobs. Those are 2 pretty good jobs that Barry and Manning got for being the 3rd and 4th assistants.

I really think TU keeps their guys as Clarkson really isn't transferring to Tx. as i don't think he would start there. The big guys should be happy with the hire and they have a nice class coming in.

Now if TU wins and makes the tourney a couple of times i think they will be looking for a new coach again within 3 yrs. as it will be a steppingstone for Manning and i don't think TU will mind at all.

What's really funny is reading the TU board when Danny Manning was first mentioned as a candidate. It was OVERWHLEMINGLY negative. Then, when it became apparent he was the guy, there tone changed to "he may be ok". Now that he is the hire, the majority are talking about what a GREAT HIRE this is and this is a HOMERUN hire! LMAO!

To say that it is comical, would be a giant understatement!

• Upvote 1

What's really funny is reading the TU board when Danny Manning was first mentioned as a candidate. It was OVERWHLEMINGLY negative. Then, when it became apparent he was the guy, there tone changed to "he may be ok". Now that he is the hire, the majority are talking about what a GREAT HIRE this is and this is a HOMERUN hire! LMAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iWiuBi48Q

There is a guy on the Texas board that has been on the TU a few times named Aimee that swears Clarkson is transferring to Tx pretty quickly and that Self was not unhappy to lose Manning. I just don't know how much the 3rd assistant really coaches or recruits. Guess we will see.

If he loses Clarkson then the TU team next is not a 15 win team by any stretch and that will be a long season for TU and Manning.

There is a guy on the Texas board that has been on the TU a few times named Aimee that swears Clarkson is transferring to Tx pretty quickly and that Self was not unhappy to lose Manning. I just don't know how much the 3rd assistant really coaches or recruits. Guess we will see.

If he loses Clarkson then the TU team next is not a 15 win team by any stretch and that will be a long season for TU and Manning.

Hmmmm . . . the plot thickens.

From what I'm hearing on talk radio, and reading on Twitter, Danny Manning is going to:

1. Play an exciting style of basketball.

2. Bring crowds back to the Reynolds Center.

3. Make the TU big men markedly better.

4. Win games with the talent on hand.

5. Assemble a top-notch staff.

6. Create national publicity for the program.

7. Recruit 4-and-5-star talent.

8. Improve relationships within the community.

9. Reduce waxy build-up on your furniture and countertops.

10. Increase the life of your car.

11. Add 50 yards to your golf swing.

12. Provide hours of relief from neck and back pain.

13. Reunite the galaxy and bring balance to The Force.

No pressure there, Coach - no pressure at all! :sweat:

• Upvote 1

From what I'm hearing on talk radio, and reading on Twitter, Danny Manning is going to: 1. Play an exciting style of basketball. 2. Bring crowds back to the Reynolds Center. 3. Make the TU big men markedly better. 4. Win games with the talent on hand. 5. Assemble a top-notch staff. 6. Create national publicity for the program. 7. Recruit 4-and-5-star talent. 8. Improve relationships within the community. 9. Reduce waxy build-up on your furniture and countertops. 10. Increase the life of your car. 11. Add 50 yards to your golf swing. 12. Provide hours of relief from neck and back pain. 13. Reunite the galaxy and bring balance to The Force. No pressure there, Coach - no pressure at all! :sweat:

This has got to be one of your top #10 Posts

I agree with DJ that Manning's name is going to get him into some doors and homes from a recruiting perspective, but if TU is down by 1 possession with a few seconds left on the clock and I'm in the huddle with the first year coach (or even third-year coach three years from now), I'm not feeling too confident that the play being drawn up by the coach is executable against a good defensive team. I think that the only games that TU will win next year will be those that are in hand before the last media timeout.

I'll take my 13-year coach anytime (or any of the other assistant coaches sitting on the bench beside him currently).

Most TU fans would argue that they didn't trust Wojcik to handle end of game situations either.