Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

+1 OKC Eagle

would be more impressed if the first part of your compound sentence had a subject and a verb

Good luck to Scott if he goes....but where can you find a mid range college basketball coaching job that pays in the mid six figure range in a city that you love and all your family is with you?......Sutton has 250 wins and is a god at ORU....he pretty much has a lifetime job if he wants it.....if he goes to SMU, TU, UAB or Nebraska.....he's likely gone in 4 or 5 yrs.....Coach Sutton doesn't seem like a guy who loves pressure situations....but I know he has a few kids to put thru college.....the bills have to be paid....if he chooses to go.....he can take the old man with him....Hankins is our man..... :nerd:

Hopefully some of your comments are tongue-in-cheek, E'man. Scott and his family's service to the University has been admirable and remarkable in light of all of the things that have gone on at ORU over the last 17 years - and especially the last five years. His salary and all the other taxable benefits aren't quite to the mid-six figure range (using the school's Form 990 as a reference point), so I know that he could do better at a mid-major or high mid-major school financially.

We have Scott's family (on both side of the ledger) "hostage" in Tulsa and that is something that money can't buy at the mid-major level. Hopefully that will be enough to keep him in Tulsa for the long-term. Whether that is at TU or ORU is probably dependent on where Scott thinks that he will be more successful (and I would like to think that is at ORU).

The uncertainty swirling around the TU program with the unclear conference picture and not knowing who the next president will be definitely hurts their chances to get a "big-time" coaching hire. I suppose unrealistic expectations by a large portion of the fan base is also an issue.

Here's hoping Scott continues to view ORU as a great place to call home.

Did anyone listen to Mike Carter's interview on the Sports Animal this morning when he was asked about the TU job & Scott Sutton?

Was it today or yesterday? I didn't hear it, but I heard someone mention it yesterday. Maybe that one was on the Buzz. What did he say about it?

The Mike Carter "interview" you heard may have been a recording of his call from Monday into the Middle Of The Day Show, being re-broadcast on this morning's "Animal Rewind" show, which features highlights from the previous week,

I would be more impressed if the first part of your compound sentence had a subject and a verb.

I claim poetic license, for dramatic effect, which does not affect the meaning.

The Mike Carter "interview" you heard may have been a recording of his call from Monday into the Middle Of The Day Show, being re-broadcast on this morning's "Animal Rewind" show, which features highlights from the previous week,

It was a replay because he encouraged people to get tickets to the NIT. I was looking for an interpretation when he was asked about Scott & the TU job.

I heard it live originally and he said something like if Scott had an interest in pursuing other jobs he wouldn't stand in his way. I don't remember exactly how he put it but I think he said if Scott had an interest in pursuing other jobs then he would encourage Scott to look around. If someone else heard the interview maybe they can mention the exact wording. I think the point he was getting across was that he wasn't going to hold a grudge if Scott looked at some other jobs.

He had looked around in the past but always decided ORU was the best situation. Who knows, maybe that will happen again.

TheEagleman thinks Scott Sutton is nuts if he leaves a great job like ORU where he pretty much has a position for life....but....perhaps at this stage in life the man is ready for a new challange....he's in his 40's now......it's sort of like Easy Rider....I would understand if he needs a change and somebody is willing to double his salary......it's obviously never been about the $$$ with Scott...... :nerd:

It was a replay because he encouraged people to get tickets to the NIT. I was looking for an interpretation when he was asked about Scott & the TU job.

Must admit I found it a little unusual to hear him say he would "help pack the moving van" should Scott take the TU job.

It's admirable, I suppose, that so many of us are taking the high road on these rumors about Scott leaving, but when it's all said and done, I gotta ask: we DO want him to stay, right?

I know I do - we need as much continuity as possible next year headed into uncharted waters in the Southland Conference.

It's got me to wondering: what if our head coach ends up leaving us NOT because he really wants to, but instead because he feels like it's expected?

I think that would be a crying shame. Here's hoping he stays!

TheEagleman also hopes Coach stays.....he's our best guy ever....250 wins is a record that would last beyond my lifetime......but if Scott does leave....it's not the end of the world......especially if we stick with Hankins and Brown on the bench.......... however, let's hope both Suttons remain at ORU for a long time....the past 10 seasons have been pretty good and more is yet to come in the Southland..... :nerd:

Must admit I found it a little unusual to hear him say he would "help pack the moving van" should Scott take the TU job.

It's admirable, I suppose, that so many of us are taking the high road on these rumors about Scott leaving, but when it's all said and done, I gotta ask: we DO want him to stay, right?

I know I do - we need as much continuity as possible next year headed into uncharted waters in the Southland Conference.

It's got me to wondering: what if our head coach ends up leaving us NOT because he really wants to, but instead because he feels like it's expected?

+ a 1000

And if per chance he goes to TU, I'll probably become a hurricane fan :sweat: in addition to a Golden Eagle fan :clap:. Notice that only one type of fan is capitalized.

I feel the same way. I think the ORU community has almost taken "too high" of a road on this one. There's no reason we should engage or encourage TU fans to be excited about this; it just further promotes the false dichotomy that so many TU fans hold true.

ORU isn't the program it was when Self left and neither is TU. Times are a-changin, folks!

Sutton is the perfect coach for ORU. He never apologizes for ORU's Christian distinctive and runs a program with integrity and class. He has been loyal to us (wants be here) and had consistent success.

ORU is a better basketball program because of him. I am not sure if he wants to go to a program that has unrealistic expectations and a fan base that can be viscous if there isn't instant success

• Upvote 3

+100 Terry....very well said....Scott Sutton and ORU are perfect together...... :clap: ......just wondering.....Coach Sutton seems like a very humble and Godly man.....anybody know where he lives (just the town) and where he and his family attend church?...... :nerd:

While the gap is not as large as it was when Self left, TU is still a better job. TU is better mostly due to conference affiliation and financial resources. The step down in conference probably will not help retain Coach Sutton. I think Mike Carter's comment was wanting to see a friend attain personal goals. Change could be a good thing for both Coach Sutton and for ORU basketball.

I have heard the Sutton rule is that you only move to a school that is a top 3 job in their conference. Is TU a top 3 job in the new MWC/C-USA?

Having said all that, I hope Coach Sutton stays at ORU for a long time. As ORUTerry noted above, he is a perfect fit for ORU.