Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

Thanks for asking Jason. Definitely blue.

So if my contrived scenario doesn't play out we should have a Alumni volunteer opportunity to switch the upper deck and lower deck seats If some of our posters who are season ticket holders put half the energy into that effort that they do into complaining about the corporate sections that are so often empty we could do this in a weekend. I personally will drive up to Tulsa to help and will use some of my AAdvantage miles to fly the Eagleman in. How's that?

One nearby job that's already open is Air Force, which is of interest locally because a LOT of TU fans are hoping Doug Wojcik might make that move to Colorado Springs.

Could may lead to the only case ever of a guy taking a job due to a signing bonus he receives FROM THE SCHOOL HE'S LEAVING.

Things have changed over at TU. I am getting a vibe now that DW and the team are playing themselves into a position that might mean one more year for ol Dougie.

IF, and that is yeat a big if, this team can win out (coupled with a SouthernMiss loss), then TU is looking at a possible NIT bid in the least. Win the conference and it is the NCAA. That scenario, according to some of the TU number crunchers, has about a 5% chance of happening. But, it it does, then I can see ol Doogie making a play at any opening in the carousel that would be perceived as a latteral or higher move. this would be a TU fan's dream come true.

However, if he doesn't leave, then this accomplishment would make it extremely difficult for the powers that be to pull the trigger and replace him.

So, unless the team stubs their toe, and is eliminated from post season, then it looks like TU will have DW for a coach for at least another season.

Regardless of the TU situation - I want to see ORU get their shot and expand that record a little. Good Luck to your team.

Figuring this out is like trying to figure where you'll be placed in the NCAA. Comoplicated is an understatement.

UMKC is a nightmare for any coach....they are such a losing program....no way one of our guys goes up to that dump unless they are desperate for a head job.....that being said, we will likely lose one of our guys very soon because of ORU's success........and Sean Sutton to TU?.....highly unlikely it seems to TheEagleman.....not a chance that Sean wants to play Scott every year......Sean Sutton will get a job somewhere someday but he might need another year or two as an assistant to prove he's not going to fall off the wagon....... :!:

Couldn't disagree more: UMKC could be a great stepping-stone job, if the right guy got in there and kept the local kids. Not the 4- and 5-star types that go to KU and Mizzou; I'm talking about guys like we have, or Rod Pearson's brother that went to UW-Milwaukee, or any other number of SOLID mid-major guys who have been leaving Kansas City for years for other schools.

If Ron Hunter could win 18 games a year (and make it to the NCAA's) with Indianapolis kids at a place like IUPUI, then another good coach could sure do the same thing at UMKC with KC kids.

Couldn't disagree more: UMKC could be a great stepping-stone job, if the right guy got in there and kept the local kids. Not the 4- and 5-star types that go to KU and Mizzou; I'm talking about guys like we have, or Rod Pearson's brother that went to UW-Milwaukee, or any other number of SOLID mid-major guys who have been leaving Kansas City for years for other schools.

If Ron Hunter could win 18 games a year (and make it to the NCAA's) with Indianapolis kids at a place like IUPUI, then another good coach could sure do the same thing at UMKC with KC kids.

Great post, OT, because my thoughts were similar to Eagleman's. I think of Rich Zvosec - here's his web site (I'm sure there's a story behind the name), and here's what he does now (a little bit of everything and a lot of nothing). At least he got a book out of the deal.

I agree with your point about Hunter, though - he made a career out of local talent that was overlooked by bigger programs. Without a doubt the same could be done in KC - by the right person.

This thread is two pages long and most conference tournaments haven't started yet! This may be the longest thread ever!

This thread is two pages long and most conference tournaments haven't started yet! This may be the longest thread ever!

I can't believe that it will be longer than the Rotnei Clark thread from four years ago. :?::-D

Speaking of HWSNBN, I was listening to a college basketball show on the college sports channel on Sirius satellite radio today, and there were 2 interesting points of discussion.

1. When discussing bubble teams, they discussed ORU and said that if they had beat Gonzaga, and lost in the Summit League tourney (in the finals) then they might have received an at-large bid given the weakness of the bubble teams this year, but since Xavier was their only "big" win ORU would not get an at-large bid. I agree for the most part with this analysis, but it is very cool to at least be discussed with bubble teams. When looking at our schedule, they mentioned Xavier and maybe Oakland as decent wins but obviously did not consider Akron or SDSU to be significant wins. That is where if we had been matched up with and beaten Wichita State or even Long Beach State, then that could have made us more attractive at-large candidates.

2. Right after that discussion they transitioned to talking about the Horizon League tournament and how Butler is seeded 5th and has no shooters. One of the guys then mentioned that HWSNBN will play for Butler next year and then they will have a real shooter. He said he considers HWSNBN to be the "best shooter" in NCAA basketball.

I was surprised to hear 2 ORU-related message board discussion topics being discussed on national radio. I guess I just caught the discussion at the right time.

I was surprised to hear 2 ORU-related message board discussion topics being discussed on national radio. I guess I just caught the discussion at the right time.

EVERYBODY reads this board. It's the most informative message board in college basketball. 8)

TheEagleman repeats.....UMKC is a nightmare.....they stink...gotta be at least 10 yrs since they've had a .500 record.....stepping stone?....yeah, maybe for a bad coach who has been fired and is desperate for another job......hey, how about Barry Hinson?...... :rofl:

Hey, maybe Doug Wojcik will go after the UCLA job when they fire Ben Howland who has totally lost control at that program according to an article on CBSSports.com....especially since TU is finishing the season in such strong fashion....oops, the Golden Hurricane lost at UAB tonight.....take Woj's name out of the hat to be the next Wizard of Westwood.....can we call Coach Doug "the Wizard of 11th and Harvard" ???.... :razz:

Call him anything you like. Lol

Read a weird rumor tonight. SMU might be interested in ol Doogie. Seems they are finally done with MJ's roomy.

If true, it would be the only good thing to come out of them leaving CUSA for the Big Least.

The AD at SMU was at Navy when Wojcik was there.

Would make sense for the Ponies: they would be getting a decent guy (for cheap) with ties to the Atlantic Coast region, which would be nice since they are joining the Big East, who also has had some success recruiting in Texas (Ben Uzoh, Jordan Clarkson).

The AD at SMU was at Navy when Wojcik was there.

Would make sense for the Ponies: they would be getting a decent guy (for cheap) with ties to the Atlantic Coast region, which would be nice since they are joining the Big East, who also has had some success recruiting in Texas (Ben Uzoh, Jordan Clarkson).

And Wojcik ends up coaching in a BCS conference? I admit, I'm sitting here chuckling at the prospect. I get the connection, but I don't see Wojcik being much of a step up from Doherty, and I didn't think that coaching hires were usually done on a "good ol' boy" network relationship.

...I didn't think that coaching hires were usually done on a "good ol' boy" network relationship.

They are when they're done in Texas.

And if SMU was that smart, they wouldn't have taken RoboDo in the first place.

There's a reason why they've sucked for decades: bad hires.

Wouldn't hiring Wojcik fall right into that modus operandi?

They are when they're done in Texas.

And if SMU was that smart, they wouldn't have taken RoboDo in the first place.

There's a reason why they've sucked for decades: bad hires.

Wouldn't hiring Wojcik fall right into that modus operandi?

You've convinced me! :nerd:

I'll be watching for the move - and I can truly say, I heard it here FIRST!

They have to fire the coach at SMU this year. His teams are bad and boring that is not a good combination. I have no idea what he is doing running the Princeton offense and trying to recruit DFW kids. What a joke. They are killing him down here. Woj probably wouldn't be a bad hire for them as he does recruit well down here. His best player is from here and has nice recruits coming in next year. He is not leaving the cupboard empty for the next guy.

If they win a couple more games i would think they make the NIT and maybe he is in line for a new job. They are not going to fire him with what they owe him.

Nebraska could be a job to watch as well for ORU fans. They have a brand new practice facility and a new Arena coming on-line in fall 2013. It's not the same job Self turned down back in the day.