Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to say Parmley is "in over his head" or insult him as a "rookie AD" over this Clarkson thing.

More than anything, it's a case of bad timing.

Coaches and administrators, including ones with far more experience than Mr. Parmley (and ones who have been lauded in this very thread), have been blocking kids from transferring to certain locations for decades. The practice didn't start at 11th and Harvard.

But the media folks who cover college sports for a living have change on the mind. Whether it's the BCS, paying players or limiting conference realignment, a lot of folks who cover collegiate athletics would love to see sweeping reform across the board.

After the Todd O'Brien case at St. Joe's made national headlines, the decades-old practice of placing restrictions on player transfers became a hot button issue. Media types who ignored it for years want to see it changed.

For some reason the Wisconsin situation touched off the issue again, and now that the writers have seen the fruit of their efforts with that kid's restrictions being lifted, they're setting their sights on the next potential villain.

Timing would dictate that Ross Parmley is that guy. Had Jordan Clarkson asked for his transfer a month ago, he would have already found a new home by now - very likely under the restrictions given to him by Ross Parmley. And the current poster boy for everything that is wrong with amateur sports wouldn't be Ross Parmely; it would be one of the dozens of other coaches and ADs who are begging that their identical situation gets resolved before the Clarkson situation is dealt with.

(Or, if they're smart, very quietly easing up on the restrictions that they placed on their outgoing transfers).

But Clarkson's transfer request came this week, it hasn't been resolved yet, and caught in the cross hairs is Ross Parmley, who is just following the example set by by thousands of highly-respected college administrators for dozens of years.

But to chalk this issue up as "Ross Parmley is a clueless rookie" isn't really accurate at all. The issue (regardless of which side of the fence you're on) is far more nuanced than that.

Heck, the guy who spent the day getting raked over the coals on this very same issue is Bo Ryan, who up until today had about as much respect from the national media as a college basketball coach can possibly accumulate. I doubt any of the people in this thread would characterize Bo Ryan as lacking in knowledge or experience.

I agree, players transfer all the time especially with new coaches and it sounds like Clarkson was going to transfer anyway. This gives Manning even lower expectations to work with and allows him to bring in his types of players. Could be a tough year next year but you gotta start getting new players anyway.

Blood,

TU has known that Clarkson wanted to transfer for awhile now. They have slowed played it and hoped he would change his mind. Not their fault as his dad and AAU coach are in his ear. I understand the no in conference transfer not sure about all the other schools as TU doesn't play any of those teams. I know they think Texas has tampered with him and that is why they are on the list. Really think they should let this go and just let it pass. Parmley is making things tough on his new coach Manning as he is the one going on the road and having to deal with the negative recruiting. This will close down the Austin and SA AAU teams to TU and that is not a good thing.

I get that TU is mad because he is leaving as he is a first team all-conference guy and the best player. His dad is really trying to stick it to TU now and make a point. Had heard he is always a little difficult anyway.

Now it looks like the other guard McClellan is gone also and the big guy with the heart condition is done with BB. Now it is a total rebuilding project for Manning and this situation is not helping him as his staff is on the road taking to recruits.

The good thing about this is the next coach for Clarkson will not have to deal with this as you can be the biggest jerk in the world and that kid can't go anywhere. One of the reasons that Eddie Sutton used to love transfers is they will toe the line as it is there last shot.

WOW! With the loss of their seniors, plus Clarkson, Maduka, & possibly McClellan, it's going to be a REALLY long year at 11th & Harvard.

"Rookie" = first-year at that level

How is that an "insult"?

Isn't this his first year as a Division-1 athletic director?

This is not a matter of precedent, or what's right and wrong.

It's a public relations failure, pure and simple. Which sometimes, in cases like this, is more important than the underlying issues.

Ross could likely have prevented the national blow-up with some tactful handling of Mr. and Mrs. Clarkson.

But that didn't happen. Rookie mistake.

I'm sure Manning will appreciate all the PR work his AD is doing for him. :wasntme: Should really help in recruiting. Clarkson was leaving anyway. They should have just shown him the door.

Tulsa's AD is new (rookie) and has made a PR mistake = rookie mistake. They knew Clarkson (and McClellen) were contemplating a move - and that his dad & AAU coach were difficult. Should have just restricted the prospective schools to conference goes and let the kid move. Seems they let emotions get the best of them.

I can understand the motivation, but it does not make sense from a PR or recruiting perspective. The Texas schools will use this against TU - or at least attempt to. Makes Manning's job a lot harder.

This is not a big deal and will eventually blow over.

Remains to be seen whether it hurts TU in the long run (other than the obvious short-term impact of losing your leading returning scorer).

But the BIGGER picture here - and what I fear this 1st-year combo of Ross/Danny failed to appreciate in this case - involves the following:

1. Who's calling the shots re: off-court issues that directly affect the basketball program?

2. Regardless of who makes the final decision, who is going to be "the face" of the decision?

3. What are both the short-term AND long-term ramifications of dealing with this decision?

If they don't QUICKLY come up with some sort of crisis-management protocol, they are going to find themselves bogged down in this sort of minutia all the time.

Let's face it: they can't just call Bill Self and ask him how he would handle EVERY situation! :inlove:

Clarkson's dad has taken to the airwaves in Austin. He claims that Bubba Cunningham promised full release to his son prior to signing if Wojcik left or got canned and that he has a memo from the university to that effect. Tulsa needs to let the kid go and put this behind him. This will only hurt recruiting the AAU circuit in Texas the longer it goes on.

http://www.espnaustin.com/audiovault/

If he has a memo, they should immediately release him. The fact that there was a coaching change makes this situation hard for TU to justify.

TU should keep doing what they are doing. It might help ORU's recruiting and certainly won't hurt it.

• Upvote 1

Let's clear up a few things.

1) Clarkson wanted to transfer last year when Cason left. But Cason talked him into sticking with TU.

Edit: so, if he wanted to transfer last year with DW staying, why would Mr. Clarkson say that DW's departure was the catalyst. Many don't believe that has anything o do with the transfer.

2) Clarkson continued to "talk" about transferring throughout this past season.

3) The AAU guy "Amie" - Nils Dakau came on to the TU board spouting off about Clarkson being gone at the end of the season - In Mid February!!!

4) Amie was also touting said transfer on the Texas, Texas A&M, and Baylor boards about the same time, and continued to do so for several weeks.

5) The agreement Mr Clarkson refers to is believed to have been signed by DW, not any TU administrator, there fore it may not be binding.

6) Even if it was binding, such an agreement would have to be worded to be renewable each year that the scholarship was in place. Other wise it would expire after the first year when the scholarship does. Scholarships are only gauranteed for one school year - Fall semester to Fall semester.

*Edit: The administration would not agree to the clause that Mr. Clarkson says he asked for and was granted. DW promised he would guarantee it, so let's wait to see if they'll tell exactly wht it says.

7) Clarkson's parents asked for his release the day DW was let go. They say they were not talked to by anyone about the coaching change, and when they called to ask for the transfer, and were told that no releases would be granted until after the new coach was hired and the studen-athlete had an opportunity to talk to the new coaching staff. This is a standard policy.

8) The only reason that makes sense about TU restricting the schools Clarkson can contact, has to have something to do with a view that there may have been what appears to be tampering going on. And if So, it likely ties to this "Amie" guy because of the manner he was pimping Clarksons transfer. IIRC, there was a post by him where he stated that he had been, or knew of someone that had been in contact with the Parents and Texas about Clarkson transferring.

If that is true, then there likely could be a case for tampering. I find it unusual that TU has not commented publicly about the whole deal. Usually when this happens, it means they have something to support their stance and don't want to publicise it, or they have been told by someone (Legal or even NCAA) to clam up.

9) The McLellen deal is also kind of weird, but it is also likely that he is gone. Neither he or Clarkson have participated in any team related activities since DM was hired. McLellen has refused to meet with DM or RP, and has even refused to acknowledge any type of attempt to contact him by the administration.

10) Tomorrow is when the appeals meeting is supposed to happen, so I'll bet this all becomes pretty clear really soon.

As far as Kodi Maduka is concerned, that is a really scary situation, and i just hope the young man can stay healthy. Learned today that he had a pacemaker inserted while he was in the hospital, so though unlikely he will play again, that still is up in the air. Too bad, too. He is a super, super nice young man.

Although this whole mess might hurt TU's recruitinig for a while in Texas, it hasn't hurt elsewhere. TU signed a really decent guar out of missouri that you guys were looking at also, and from what I am being told, we could soon forget Clarkson's departure. The real answer is going to come between now and next falls signing date. TU is in on about 4-5 players. and all are considered top tier guys. If we can get 2-3 of those 4-5. We'll be OK in 2013. Next year though might be tough.

Sorry I been out of touch, but i been busy beating the interwebs on all this stuff.

I'll check back later, to see if you guys need some questions answered.

does getting even with Clarkson and his family out weigh the negative publicity amongst Texas recruiting circles? that's what TU has to figure out. despite being in the right, some battles aren't worth fighting.

:wacko:|(|-) |-) |-) |-) |-) |-).....................

does getting even with Clarkson and his family out weigh the negative publicity amongst Texas recruiting circles? that's what TU has to figure out. despite being in the right, some battles aren't worth fighting.

I think that this question is what haunts this whole thing. Is TU doing this out of spite? Don't know. But!! What purpose does that truly serve? The answer to that is absolutely nothing. In fact it does the opposite. It would have disastrous results for years to come.

So, does anyone really believe TU, or anyone else for that matter Would do that to themselves.

I think that this question is what haunts this whole thing. Is TU doing this out of spite? Don't know. But!! What purpose does that truly serve? The answer to that is absolutely nothing. In fact it does the opposite. It would have disastrous results for years to come.

So, does anyone really believe TU, or anyone else for that matter Would do that to themselves.

If it ends up in appearance that TU lost this battle would it relate to the calibar of TU's law school?

TU signed a really decent guard out of Missouri that you guys were looking at also, and from what I am being told, we could soon forget Clarkson's departure.

OK, first off: we never offered the Missouri kid a scholarship. Which should tell you something, because we traditionally offer EVERYONE we recruit who can at least play a little bit. Time will tell, but if I was a TU fan, I would hold off on getting too excited yet about someone ORU passed on.

Secondly, whether TU was right or wrong in granting Clarkson's release is not the issue: it's how it's been handled from a PR standpoint that caught my attention. The inexperience of both Manning and Parmley was pretty obvious in not being more "out in front" on the deal. It certainly did not need to make national headlines, and handling the Clarksons better could have prevented that.

Last, and most important at this time, I hate to hear the news about Kodi. He seems like a great kid, and he was really coming into his own on the court. I honestly thought he might become a better player than Jerome Jordan by the time he was finished.

I was not sure how long of a post was too long, but one that cannot fit in one screen view certainly exceeds it. I'm with Eagleman on this one. Hopefully I did not miss anything good.