Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

In what has got to be the most unlikely connection yet of Coaching Carousel, rumors abound that Billy Donovan is a candidate for the North Carolina State job.

This may be a lot of wishful thinking on the part of NCSU fans, but the rumor is all over the place. Perhaps rumor reports based on other rumors?

It will be really interesting to see if anything comes of this. Doesnt't make a whole lot of sense - but it DOES give people something to talk about!

This may explain it:

highmajorscoop Chas Wolfe

Anyone hear of the number N.C. State is wanting to throw at their new coach? Heard it's around 3 million! Yow is not scared to make it rain!

This may explain it:

Anyone hear of the number N.C. State is wanting to throw at their new coach? Heard it's around 3 million! Yow is not scared to make it rain!

Debbie Yow has ORU connections (former ORU women's basketball coach)

I wouldn't be surprised if that $3 million number is close to being true. NC State wants desperately to be relevant in ACC hoops again. They've got the resources to make it happen if they find the right guy. I don't think Billy D. could get them over the hump though.

He would still be at his alma mater (Purdue) if they had matched Missouri's price.....

When they say it's not about the money - it's about the money.

Missouri is maybe a bit more glamorous than Purdue but they have not had the same success in recent history. And Mizzu has to contend with their neighbors to the West (Kansas), and East (Illinois) as well as the Indiana schools for recruits.

Wow, yeah that's surprising to me, I guess nothing matters anymore if you're talking about money. Hard to see how Mizzou would be a better job than Purdue other than they would be willing to pay a lot more. JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore leaving probably helps that decision too.

Missouri is such a weird place geographically, do they ever get top recruits in football and basketball from KC or St. Louis? Seems like all those kids go elsewhere. Maybe Kareem Rush a few years back? But even his brothers went to UCLA and Kansas.

Whoa! The reporter out of St. Louis spoke too soon!

Matt Painter agrees to new Purdue deal

ESPN.com news services

Matt Painter has turned down Missouri and will remain coach of the Purdue men's basketball team.

Purdue announced Wednesday that it had agreed to an eight-year contract with Painter through the 2018-19 season. Terms were not disclosed.

Painter and Missouri athletic director Mike Alden met Tuesday morning in Orlando, Fla., to discuss the Tigers' opening. Painter was offered the job but did not say either way at that time whether he'd take it, according to a report in the Kansas City Star.

Read more here.

Missouri fans are officially in melt-down mode. Painter was undeniably the school's number one choice. There is no way they can spin their next hire to be their #1 guy. Tough sell to the fans.

Both Missouri and Oklahoma are now after the same guy - whoever that is. And Missouri is in first place. Will they go after the VCU coach (Smart) or can Oklahoma afford another try with a coach from that school? Some say he is winning with the previous coach's (now at Alabama) players.

I think the coach at Wichita State (Marshall) is going to get some offers. He would seem to be a good fit for Oklahoma. If he will go there.

Has anyone been punked more often the last couple of years than Missouri?

First by the Big 10 conference during the realignment stuff, then by Mike Anderson, now Painter.

If they were a 17-year-old girl, they'd be crying in their bedroom after being stood up by their prom date.

BUT, here's what Painter staying at Purdue and Buzz Williams signing a new deal at Marquette means:

1. Greg Marshall at Wichita State just got at LEAST a one million dollar bump from someone: either Missouri, Oklahoma, or NC State.

2. Purdue assistant Paul Lusk is now back as Primary Target #1 for Missouri State. But don't count out Texas Tech-ex Pat Knight - his daddy Bobby is best friend's with the owner of Bass Pro Shops, headquartered in Springfield and a huge supporter of Bears athletics.

3. UNLV's Lon Kruger may be back in Big XII country next season at either OU or MU.

4. Wichita State can't afford Marshall anymore: will the next Shocker be a Sutton? Wojcik? Brooks Thompson from Texas-San Antonio?

OU is not a bad job at all, but the pending NCAA investigation and possible limitations on recruiting is going to keep any "name" coach from jumping over there right now. I really don't think he goes back to the VCU well either. He will probably stick to his approach of looking for someone with strong regional ties. At least OU won't have the PR nightmare that Mizzou will have when they introduce their new head coach. Joe C proved to be the smart one by playing this close to vest.

There are a lot of moving parts right now. These schools want to move fast to retain recruits.

I have heard Lon Krueger is in no hurry to leave Las Vegas. Evidently he likes to golf and enjoys the sun. I also don't think he had much fun at Kansas State and the Big 12 (or was it 8?). But then again, UNLV is having MAJOR financial problems and he might want to leave that situation.

Will Missouri State opt for 'booster' option and pick Pat Knight? They could do worse. It would be a big comedown for Knight, but I think he is an avid hunter/fisherman and Springfield is a nice place for that.

Whoa! The reporter out of St. Louis spoke too soon!

Matt Painter agrees to new Purdue deal

ESPN.com news services

Matt Painter has turned down Missouri and will remain coach of the Purdue men's basketball team.

Purdue announced Wednesday that it had agreed to an eight-year contract with Painter through the 2018-19 season. Terms were not disclosed.

Painter and Missouri athletic director Mike Alden met Tuesday morning in Orlando, Fla., to discuss the Tigers' opening. Painter was offered the job but did not say either way at that time whether he'd take it, according to a report in the Kansas City Star.

Read more here.

SPORTSbyBROOKS

So where does Missouri go from here?

I’m told that school athletic director Mike Alden plans to interview candidates for the job at the Final Four this weekend in Houston. I’ve confirmed VCU coach Shaka Smart as Mizzou’s top target for the job but Smart will not talk to Missouri until VCU’s season has concluded in Houston.

Meantime, I’m told Alden is likely to also reach out to Richmond’s Chris Mooney and Tulsa’s Doug Wojcik [WHAT??? You've got to be kidding me!!-tmh] - and their agents - while in Houston for possible interviews. Smart, for now, is Mizzou’s top target with the school prepared to offer him between $1.7M-to-$2M per season plus incentives.

Mizzou Targeting 3 Candidates Including Shaka

Well if Doug Wojcik actually does become a part of the Mizzou coaching search, I'm not expecting to hear that TU is mobilizing a group of donors to match Mizzou's offer. :wasntme:

I consider Wojcik to Mizzou to be highly unlikely, but if that were to happen, it would probably happen early next week and could mess up their recruiting class. If Wojcik does have a few studs ready to sign at TU, then maybe Mizzou is interested in a coach that can bring some players with him. Also, by the time TU would be having to replace Doug, the other teams in this area would probably have replaced their coaches already and the remaining options could be pretty slim.

In the Tulsa World this morning, the North Texas coach was mentioned as a possible candidate for the OU job because he has had 5 straight 20-win seasons. I doubt Joe Castiglione envisioned the job search process playing out like this. If the North Texas coach could be a candidate, then a lot of coaches could be candidates (Brooks Thompson, Doug Wojcik, Scott Sutton, etc.). Once you are reaching into the SunBelt for your next head coach, you may be perceived by your fan base (if they care about basketball) as reaching.

Missouri hiring Doug Wojcik to replace Mike Anderson would be (at least for the first season) tantamount to putting Mr. Magoo behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

I wonder what the NCAA record is for "Most Precipitous Drop In Team Scoring In A Single Season"?

I've also heard New Mexico's Steve Alford's name mentioned in the Missouri search, and Illinois' Bruce Webber for Oklahoma.

If New Mexico opens up, expect Scott Sutton and Doug Wojcik to both be mentioned as possibilities.

OU has really painted themselves into a corner. They fired a guy before being absolutely sure they could get their first choice or a good "safety hire". Krueger has literally coached everywhere, don't know what they thought would draw him to Oklahoma. They would have to pay Weber, and there are rumors as to whether his current employer even wants him right now. OU is getting close to either paying more than they would want for a new basketball coach or hiring someone not as good as the guy they fired, or both. And it's bad news that Missouri and NC State are still open.

Smart to North Carolina State (or maybe Marshall - he is from that area)

Marshall to Missouri or Oklahoma

Whoever does not get Marshall get left holding the bag.... probably OU. And they will have to pay more or get less than they figured

Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall is a hot name for the Oklahoma job... according to numerous close sources in the business.

[Twitter]