Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

"Mizzou has not yet met with Painter and there absolutely, positively has been no job offer made. There will be a face-to-face between Painter and Mizzou Tuesday. If the interview goes well, Painter will be offered the job and have 24 hours to decide."

SPORTSbyBROOKS

I like Doug wojcik. I know there are some TU fans that have been vocal about their disapproval but i always assumed that the silent majority appreciated Doug's win/loss record and the 20 game win seasons as well as the many appearances in the C-USA finals even if they got smoked by 1-seed Memphis.

Doug's teams play great defense and rarely get embarrassed. If TU cans Doug with the winning % that he has they will only be hurting themselves by discouraging other quality candidates from even being interested because the expectations are so unrealistic.

If Doug was appreciated for what he has done he probably would not be looking so desperately for that next opportunity. While I don't like his style of yelling at players all the time, I honestly think in the few games I have seen recently that he has backed off a little bit in that regard. I guess this is the thanks he gets for running a clean program and graduating most of his players. Wow!

That was kinda out of the vein of this thread, but I'll bite.

I like Doug Wojick at TU too. While my perspective of his ability is different than yours, we can agree that I hope he's there a long time. :wink:

He'll either get the Dayton job or a raise at Oakland.

ESPN is also confirming reports of a meeting today between Painter and Mizziou, and that Mizzou's offer will be $14 Million over 7 years, the same they offered Anderson. That amount will no doubt be matched by Purdue and he will stay where he is. If Mizzou really wants Painter they need to up the ante and add a point 5 to years 4-7. That's just enough to surprise Painter and throw Purdue off balance to where they can't recover. If Mizzou doesn't want to do that, they should have just looked elsewhere.

it may just be mizzou spin, but i read somewhere that painter and his AD aren't exactly real tight. so perhaps he may be more willing to move on than some might think.

GSwaim (@GSwaim)

3/29/11 7:17 PM

Scott Sutton, but I'm not buying it. RT "@MOStateBears: @GSwaim Hey Greg - Are you hearing any names for Missouri State's head coach?"

Terry Nunn (@MOStateBears)

3/29/11 7:20 PM

@GSwaim That would be surprising since he keeps turning down other Valley jobs. 2 other Valley jobs might be open next wk

I'm trying to wrap my brain around Missouri State fans' reaction to the hiring of Barry Hinson's former assistant as their new head coach - just not seeing it.

As long as he doesn't go to either OU or Tulsa, I think I could handle him leaving. I still wouldn't like it, but I could see the argument.

In what has got to be the most unlikely connection yet of Coaching Carousel, rumors abound that Billy Donovan is a candidate for the North Carolina State job.

This may be a lot of wishful thinking on the part of NCSU fans, but the rumor is all over the place. Perhaps rumor reports based on other rumors?

It will be really interesting to see if anything comes of this. Doesnt't make a whole lot of sense - but it DOES give people something to talk about!

Pat Knight weighing options in search for next job

Submitted by Courtney Linehan on Mon, 2011-03-28 19:56

Former Texas Tech men's basketball coach Pat Knight has had several informal conversations, but no face-to-face interviews yet, with Division I schools interested in hiring him as their next men's basketball coach. Knight's agent, Bret Just, said Monday that Knight could have a position in place as soon as next week.

Rumors have placed Knight on the short lists at Fresno State, Lamar, Loyola (Ill.), and recently Missouri State.

LINK

Hey oh!

Painter expected to accept Mizzou offer today

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ STLtoday.com | Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:38 am

4d9343a6ee9a2.preview-300.jpg

It looks like this will be a happy day for Mizzou fans.

Nothing is official yet and there haven't been any announcements, but a source tells the Post-Dispatch that Purdue coach Matt Painter just called Mizzou AD Mike Alden to say he's in as the school's next basketball coach.

Painter has been the school's primary target in the last week since Mike Anderson left to take over the Arkansas program.

Read more here.

I hope Joe C. reads this. He's going to have to do the same thing and fast.

Commentary: Missouri athletic director did it all to land Matt Painter

Written by

Bryan Burwell

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS -- With an offer on the table and a reported noon deadline in place, Mike Alden has done exactly what he was supposed to do in his quest to land Matt Painter as Missouri's new basketball coach. The Missouri director of athletics has let it be known in the language all coaches love -- cash and creature comforts -- just how badly everyone in Columbia wants Painter on the Mizzou Arena sidelines next winter.

Read more here.

Money talks....

Missouri is a lot more glamorous job than Purdue, in a league with a lot less basketball depth than the Big-10, at least as far as recruiting.

At Purdue, he has to bump heads for players with about a dozen D-1 programs in-state alone, including Indiana, Butler, Notre Dame, Indiana State, Evansville, Ball State, Valpo, etc.

At Missouri, he would have three: Missouri State, St. Louis, and UMKC.

Make that two-and-a-half... :grin:

It's funny how everyone has sources once the story breaks.

Painter likely headed to Mizzou

by Bill Pollock on March 30, 2011

I heard from two sources, one closely connected to the athletic department at Purdue University, the other closely connected to Mizzou athletics and both have said Matt Painter will be the next men’s basketball coach for Missouri. Read more here.

Don't expect any to hear anything from Brad Stevens until after the Final Four, but the Butler Athletic Department has GOT to be nervous now that the Purdue job is expected to be officially open in a few hours. Hopefully they were already working on a contingency plan to keep Stevens. Not sure it will be enough though. Could they compete with Purdue?

Missouri is a lot more glamorous job than Purdue, in a league with a lot less basketball depth than the Big-10, at least as far as recruiting.

At Purdue, he has to bump heads for players with about a dozen D-1 programs in-state alone, including Indiana, Butler, Notre Dame, Indiana State, Evansville, Ball State, Valpo, etc.

At Missouri, he would have three: Missouri State, St. Louis, and UMKC.

Make that two-and-a-half... :grin:

He would still be at his alma mater (Purdue) if they had matched Missouri's price.....

When they say it's not about the money - it's about the money.

Missouri is maybe a bit more glamorous than Purdue but they have not had the same success in recent history. And Mizzu has to contend with their neighbors to the West (Kansas), and East (Illinois) as well as the Indiana schools for recruits.