Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

I still think this guy made a mistake:

Shaka Smart: Why Coaching Star Should Have Bolted For NC State (Bleacher Report)

The ACC is weaker top to bottom than it has been in decades - could be the perfect opportunity for the right coach to bring the Wolfpack back to prominence.

And get paid a lot of money to do it....

Gottfried hits the jackpot. I suspect that he met Debbie Yow years ago when they were both at ORU. What goes around, comes around.

Will ORU ever have a coach who played at ORU?...45 yrs and still waiting.... :ugeek:

Gottfried hits the jackpot. I suspect that he met Debbie Yow years ago when they were both at ORU. What goes around, comes around.

Gottfried was an Oral Roberts freshman in 1982 when he met Yow, then the school's women's basketball coach. He dated Margie Jackson, one of Yow's players, and a poor practice from Jackson would lead Yow to ask Gottfried if the couple was having problems.

That comfort level with Gottfried still exists, although Yow felt compelled to defend her working relationships as an athletic director following a search that featured serious discussions with Texas' Rick Barnes, Arizona's Sean Miller and Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart. Yow, who had contentious dealings with Gary Williams before she left Maryland for N.C. State last year, turned her focus to Gottfried after Smart withdrew his name from consideration Monday, prolonging a search in which she was often cast by the national media as overbearing.

LINK

I doubt Yow is the first person not to get along with Gary Williams! He doesn't seem like the nicest guy around. Hope Mark does well there.

Checked out the Oakland board and found this post by Hoopsdude18 that I thought was really well said:

"This could apply to any number of threads, but the idea of coaches leaving after tourney appearances seems to fit here. The Mid-Majority posted its epilogue post today, and I thought this was one particularly moving piece, featuring Morehead State coach Donnie Tyndall.

Within a week of beating Rick Pitino, MSU signed Donnie Tyndall to a contract extension. He received a steep raise that makes him the highest-paid head coach in the Ohio Valley Conference. Once Taylor and Grace grow up and get into Harvard or Yale, they won't need to take out any student loans... in large part because of what their dad did on Saint Patrick's Day in 2011.

"It's so crazy," he said. "When I played at Morehead State in the early 1990s, Rick Pitino was at his peak at Kentucky. He single-handedly raised that program from the dead. In my senior year, he took the Big Blue to the Final Four. He was the most popular man in the state back then! I got to know him a little later when I started coaching, and he once said to me, 'Donnie, don't mess up happiness.' He told me that his one regret in life was leaving Kentucky. Can you imagine that? Here's a man who had everything, and to this day he admits that he made a mistake by taking all that extra money from the Celtics."

In March 2011, with his stock at an all-time high, Tyndall stayed at his alma mater, despite more lucrative offers elsewhere.

"My dream is to win a National Championship. I know I have a better chance to do that somewhere else. But would I be happy? Will a couple of hundred thousand dollars make me a better person at this point in my life? I doubt it. Like Rick said, 'don't mess up happiness.' On the other hand, I know what a cruel business this is. Jim Les just got fired from his alma mater. He made the Sweet 16 five years ago. Mark Gottfried got fired at his alma mater after 11 years because he stopped winning enough games. All I know is that wherever I am, for as long as I'm doing this, I have to keep winning games. Hopefully, when I'm too old to do this anymore, I can retire on my own terms instead of ending up out on my ass."

"Don't mess up happiness." I like that a lot. Hopefully more coaches will take this advice (which already seems to be happening these last few years)."

Read more: http://goldengrizzlyhoops.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=937&page=1#10012#ixzz1IlHqOt3n

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting - the scroller during one of the NBA playoff games indicated that the job was being offered to Sean Miller of Arizona - wonder what happened there?

I saw Miller in a couple tournament games at the BOK, and I was impressed. A bit surprised that deal fell through.

Miller signed a lucrative extension to stay with Arizona....a lot of times these coaches use the feelers from other big schools just to extort more cash out of the University they are currently with....I guess Miller just wanted to stay with the Wildcats.....TheEagleman is still glad that we have Scott Sutton..... :wink:

I wonder if a&m would have had any interest in Gillespie if he wasn't already at Tech. I also wonder if ORU had made the NCAA tournament this year if Scott would be a candidate for A&M. Probably would have needed an upset 1st round win.

TheEagleman thought he heard that Capel was going to Duke as an asst....???..... :ugeek:

Yes that's true but I'm sure he's still available for a head coaching gig.

Possible candidates:

1. Jeff Capel

2. Greg Marshall (Wichita State).... it worked before didn't it?

3. North Texas coach