Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

"Try these names on for size, courtesy of a contact in the coaching ranks with a sweet jump shot: Nebraska’s Doc Sadler, Marquette’s Buzz Williams, Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall and Colorado’s Tad Boyle."

link

The Aggies think they can get Josh Pastner..... not sure that is a reasonable target. TAMU may have more money, but the fan base cannot compare to Memphis.

I would be surprised if they went after Doc Sadler. Williams is a Texas guy and he might want to 'go back home'. If they go after Marshall, it could have an effect on ORU as I suspect that Wichita State might come after Sutton - again.

My Jeff Capel comment was not serious. I guess I should have used a smiley face to express my sarcasm. I don't actually believe that he is a candidate for TAMU. However I do think Gregg Marshall is a significant candidate

Lange leaves Navy basketball team for Villanova

By BILL WAGNER, Staff Writer

Capital Gazette Communications Published 05/10/11

Billy Lange served as Director of Basketball Operations at Villanova from 2002-2004. Yesterday, Lange was named associate head coach at Villanova.

Lange’s significant rise within the ranks of that perennially powerful Big East Conference program was made possible by a seven-year stint as head coach at the Naval Academy....

Read rest of the story here.

Wonder is Wojcik has an interest in this job? He played at Navy (point guard) and would be a good fit for the program.

From Jeremy Poplin at 1430 TheBuzz, via Twitter:

"Doug to A&M rumors growing louder."

Apparently, everyone on the initial A&M "wish list" list is not interested: Marquette's Williams, Memphis' Pastner, Wichita's Marshall, and Colorado's Boyle.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would hate for Wojik to leave TU. His presence at 11th & Harvard is great for ORU!

From Jeremy Poplin at 1430 TheBuzz, via Twitter:

"Doug to A&M rumors growing louder."

Apparently, everyone on the initial A&M "wish list" list is not interested: Marquette's Williams, Memphis' Pastner, Wichita's Marshall, and Colorado's Boyle.

have not seen talk of wojcik on TexAgs.com, however...

katz_andy_m.jpg

There are other possibilities such as Colorado State's Tim Miles, Tulsa's Doug Wojcik or North Texas' Johnny Jones. But only two likely would provide a smooth transition: Colorado coach Tad Boyle and current Texas A&M assistant Scott Spinelli.

Andy Katz Blog

Reports: Billy Kennedy the choice at Texas A&M

By

Chuck Carlton / Reporter

Murray State's Andy Kennedy will be Texas A&M's new basketball coach, multiple news outlets are reporting this afternoon.

TexAgs.com, followed by the San Antonio Express-News and ESPN.com, indicated that Kennedy is the choice.

full article @ DMN

Was about to post that Scott Sutton might be a sensible candidate for Murray State (having played high school ball in Lexington, KY, same place he began his college playing career, at Transylvania College), until I noticed Billy Kennedy had just received a raise to $225,000 a year from MSU.

While I assume the Racers are willing to pay more than that for the right coach, I'm not sure an annual salary in that general neighborhood is enough to convince Scott Sutton to uproot his family and leave a loaded ORU team.

Was about to post that Scott Sutton might be a sensible candidate for Murray State (having played high school ball in Lexington, KY, same place he began his college playing career, at Transylvania College), until I noticed Billy Kennedy had just received a raise to $225,000 a year from MSU.

While I assume the Racers are willing to pay more than that for the right coach, I'm not sure an annual salary in that general neighborhood is enough to convince Scott Sutton to uproot his family and leave a loaded ORU team.

Wow! This is an amazingly UNDERwhelming choice. Murray State lost in the 1st round of their conference tournament. Then they lost in the 1st round of the NIT. Definitely not a "hot" name this year. Murray State has had a lot wins over the last 5 years, but this guy was not a more successful coach than Scott Sutton over the last 5 years. I'm sure glad that Scott was not a player in this search but I find it hard to believe that this was the best they could do.

He used to be an assistant at A&M and he does have 1 NCAA win, but certainly there are other coaches with stronger resumes who wanted this job.

Perhaps some other schools still think that Scott Sutton used his last name to get in this position, but clearly he is a good recruiter, a good coach, and he runs a clean program. I am so glad he is at ORU and is happy to be at ORU. He is clearly not like Doug Wojcik looking for the 1st opportunity to get out of dodge (I understand that the unrealistic TU expectations put him in that situation). Thanks again to Scott Sutton!!!

Scott Sutton to Murray State?...Please.....you gotta be kidding.... :grin::-D:grin:

Scott Sutton to Murray State?...Please.....you gotta be kidding.... :grin::-D:grin:

Kennedy's first head coaching job was at Centenary. I believe it was from 97 - 99. He actually coached them to a 14-14 record in his 2nd year.

I worry about Scott going anywhere these days, especially to a state like Kentucky where he has ties.

And, let's face it: until things get better financially at ORU, leaving may be the only way he's going to get a raise anytime soon! :-P