Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

BlumbergOTB Eric Blumberg

Talked to the parent of a #Mizzou player who says, "the overwhelming reaction is what the heck?!" #Haith

19 minutes ago

[Twitter]

You guys help me out here. Seems to me like most of the major jobs (NCSU excluded) are filled, and Marshall is still at Wichita State. Bradley's filled, MSU is filled - are there any other places out there that might come pay our coach a visit? Are we reaching a point where the worst of the storm is past?

What do you think?

It's much easier to fire a bad coach after one or two seasons, than firing a mediocre coach. Alden is buying time until the "right" guy opens up. Yes, pure speculation and from my file of conspiracy theories. :)

You guys help me out here. Seems to me like most of the major jobs (NCSU excluded) are filled, and Marshall is still at Wichita State. Bradley's filled, MSU is filled - are there any other places out there that might come pay our coach a visit? Are we reaching a point where the worst of the storm is past?

What do you think?

Okay, scratch that:

WMKCSports WMKC Sports

by MikeMinyard

On the tail of the Shaka Smart turndown, Yow has reportedly offered a 7 year, $20 million contract to Wichita State's Gregg Marshall. #NCSU

1 hour ago

[Twitter]

In the immortal words of Old Titan, "'YOW!' is right..."

Gregg Marshall is scheduled to make an 'announcement' on his radio show tonight. I suspect given the venue that he is staying at WSU. The North Carolina State fans are saying that Shaka Smart is also staying at VCU. Seems that no one wants the NCSU job. Or that is how it appears. We will see.....

WSU Coaches' Show

Wow! If Marshall stays at Wichita what direction does NCst go next? Talk about a job no one wants! That is a lot of $$ to be passed up.

Wow! If Marshall stays at Wichita what direction does NCst go next? Talk about a job no one wants! That is a lot of $$ to be passed up.

No kidding!!! They're going to have to open it up to "volunteers"!!!

"Okay, who volunteers to take our $3 million NCSU job???"

I know NC State isn't the most attractive job in the country, but it is still a BCS school in one of the most prestigious conferences in the country. Those types of jobs don't come along every day and I'm sort of surprised at the number of people that have turned it down.

I worry that NC State AD Debbie Yow's sometimes contentious relationship with Maryland head basketball coach Gary Williams while she was his boss is now affecting their hiring process in a negative way.

Which is a crying shame if it's true: Debbie was a true professional when I dealt with her as ORU women's basketball coach back in the 80's, and she has gone out of her way to stay in touch with me in the years since she moved up the NCAA ladder of success.

She is, in short, a very classy lady.

Frankly, I would work for Leona Helmsley at the money NC State is throwing around - but maybe that's just me...

I guess he took the long term view. He decided to stick with $1 million/year for a long time- versus $3 million? for three or four years. Interesting choice... especially since he is from that area of the country. Makes me think something else is going on.

I know NC State isn't the most attractive job in the country, but it is still a BCS school in one of the most prestigious conferences in the country. Those types of jobs don't come along every day and I'm sort of surprised at the number of people that have turned it down.

Couldn't agree more, cope.

Frankly, I would work for Leona Helmsley at the money NC State is throwing around - but maybe that's just me...

Here's what I keep thinking - at a place like NCSU these young guys have a chance to make MILLIONS in their first year or two of their contract. If things go well, great. They keep making millions, possibly with the addition of HUGE bonuses for tournament wins, endorsements, etc. If things don't go well, things might be tough for a year or two, but if they get too bad they end up having their contract bought out, again for millions, and in a five year period of their lives they make SEVERAL TIMES the income I'll make in my lifetime. Not only that, but they lay low for a couple years, then get hired back at some mid-major program at a "comfortable" $750,000 a year for a while, and if they see success are right back on the coaching carousel again.

I see NOTHING but opportunity at a place like NCSU for a young coach - regardless of the working conditions . . .

I do kind of wonder if, as more guys turn the job down, it doesn't influence the next guy they talk to - thinking, why should I take this job that nobody else wants? Even so, I'd still thing that money talks.

tulsaanimal971 Sports Animal Tulsa

Retweet by MikeMinyard

Pat Knight hired as new basketball coach at Lamar.

15 minutes ago

[Twitter]