Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

According to Dan Lucy of Fox Sports in Springfield twitter page, missouri state assistant coach kent williams says he's interested in taking over the bears from cuonzo martin.

Link

This guy throws out a bunch of names as potential replacements for the Missouri State job. Look what he says about Scott Sutton:

• Scott Sutton, head coach at Oral Roberts. In 11 seasons has guided the Golden Eagles to three NCAA Tournaments. Has a history of turning down jobs and seems happy at ORU. Link.

Is this considered a negative in the coaching profession? If so, could Scott be trying to distance himself from that assumption by putting feelers out?

Reports are surfacing all over the place that Purdue's head coach, Matt Painter, is interviewing with Mizzou today about their coaching vacancies.

Wow! Twitter has totally sped up how fast information gets out there about this stuff.

One source

I thought that Painter would not even consider Missouri; he is an alumnus of Purdue and has his 'dream job'. But is is also in the lower half of the Big 10 in compensation at $1.3 million (which according to the report is made up of a lot of incentives - meaning if he has a bad year, he could make a lot less.) I suspect that he is talking with Missouri so that Purdue will sweeten his compensation.

I have been reading the Purdue message boards and they think he is gone because their administration will not match what Missouri is willing to pay. If that is the case, Painter is probably headed to Columbia. Money talks.

You know who else doesn't make much money? Butler Bulldogs coach Brad Stevens. Last report I saw had him making almost $350K base salary. Talk about getting a bang for your buck! :eek:

You know who else doesn't make much money? Butler Bulldogs coach Brad Stevens. Last report I saw had him making almost $350K base salary. Talk about getting a bang for your buck! :eek:

I believe that's an old figure. My understanding is that he's nearer $1 million at this point.

Stevens signs 12-year extension

I believe that's an old figure. My understanding is that he's nearer $1 million at this point.

Stevens signs 12-year extension

It's worth noting that story is from 2010 - Stevens got this deal after last season's run.

Certainly hope he had some some sort of bonus built in if he ever reached the Final Four again!

You're probably right. I think that figure was from 3 years ago. Still, $700K-$800K for 2 Final Four appearances is a steal!!! The publicity alone he has brought Butler is worth $2 Mil. The university administration really needs to bring out the boosters and show some Butler love if they want to hold on. Imagine what he could do down the road with the facilities, history, and tradition of IU? :x

You're probably right. I think that figure was from 3 years ago. Still, $700K-$800K for 2 Final Four appearances is a steal!!! The publicity alone he has brought Butler is worth $2 Mil. The university administration really needs to bring out the boosters and show some Butler love if they want to hold on. Imagine what he could do down the road with the facilities, history, and tradition of IU? :x

Is Butler gambling with Stevens' contract extension?

"It should be pointed out that another small school has traveled this path. Gonzaga University raised its men’s basketball coach’s pay from $200,000 a decade ago to $851,000 last year. School officials told me during that time that enrollment grew by 20 percent and donations to the school by more than 10 percent.

That kind of payoff, of course, is not guaranteed."

Is Butler gambling with Stevens' contract extension?

"It should be pointed out that another small school has traveled this path. Gonzaga University raised its men’s basketball coach’s pay from $200,000 a decade ago to $851,000 last year. School officials told me during that time that enrollment grew by 20 percent and donations to the school by more than 10 percent.

That kind of payoff, of course, is not guaranteed."

It's not guaranteed, but it's highly likely. It's not just that Butler made it to the Final Four, but its the WAY in which they did it that has struck an emotional cord in everyone watching (unless you were a fan of a school they beat). The Bulter Mania that has happened in their area (and that will no doubt multiply as we get closer to the weekend) is equivalent to a multi-million dollar national PR campaign. The fact that they've run this campaign twice will only solidify it's impact. That 20% enrollment increase and 10% donation increase will jump again this year. And the school will no doubt capitalize on this moment by getting Brad out to as many booster events and university rallies as possible.

It's not guaranteed, but it's highly likely. It's not just that Butler made it to the Final Four, but its the WAY in which they did it that has struck an emotional cord in everyone watching (unless you were a fan of a school they beat). The Bulter Mania that has happened in their area (and that will no doubt multiply as we get closer to the weekend) is equivalent to a multi-million dollar national PR campaign. The fact that they've run this campaign twice will only solidify it's impact. That 20% enrollment increase and 10% donation increase will jump again this year. And the school will no doubt capitalize on this moment by getting Brad out to as many booster events and university rallies as possible.

This is what the academics need to see and understand.... successful athletics is a tool to drive enrollment.

Somebody get on the phone to Andrew Wilson from East Central H.S. RIGHT NOW!

"Drew - we love ya baby. Come join fellow Cardinal (and ex-MSU commit) Ken Holdman at ORU!!"

MSU Recruits Wait And See

(Springfield, Mo.) -- Missouri State's three signees say they are happy for former MSU coach Cuonzo Martin, and for now plan on honoring their Letters of Intent to play basketball for the Bears next season.

"Well, as far as I know, I'm still committed to being a Missouri State Bear next year," said Drew Wilson, a recruit from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Reports are flying that Missouri has offered Matt Painter of Purdue, with the Boilermakers poised to name assistant Paul Lusk to replace him.

Which would leave MIssouri State without one of their top candidates in Lusk.

I like Doug wojcik. I know there are some TU fans that have been vocal about their disapproval but i always assumed that the silent majority appreciated Doug's win/loss record and the 20 game win seasons as well as the many appearances in the C-USA finals even if they got smoked by 1-seed Memphis.

Doug's teams play great defense and rarely get embarrassed. If TU cans Doug with the winning % that he has they will only be hurting themselves by discouraging other quality candidates from even being interested because the expectations are so unrealistic.

If Doug was appreciated for what he has done he probably would not be looking so desperately for that next opportunity. While I don't like his style of yelling at players all the time, I honestly think in the few games I have seen recently that he has backed off a little bit in that regard. I guess this is the thanks he gets for running a clean program and graduating most of his players. Wow!