Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

We could be in trouble here.

The only names I've seen reported as legitiment prospects for the Mizzou job are:

1. Matt Painter, Purdue
  2. Brian Gregory, Dayton
  3. Scott Sutton, ORU

Missouri is obviously going all out for Painter. If they weren't, they would have wooed Gregory before this happened: Source: Gregory leaving Dayton for Georgia Tech

Does that mean if they don't land Painter (which appears to be the likely outcome), does that shoot SS to the top of this list? I'm sure there are others being considered, I just haven't heard of them... maybe Shaka Smart?

i think you can add gregg marshall from WSU to that list for mizzou.

the tenn hiring of martin was a bit of a surprise. he seems to have a pretty thin resume for an SEC job...only 3 yrs as a head coach.

the tenn hiring of martin was a bit of a surprise. he seems to have a pretty thin resume for an SEC job...only 3 yrs as a head coach.

I doubt Tennessee could have done better. Pearl left a crater when he exited. who knows what kind of sanctions the program will have.

Okay, so that opens up the Dayton job. Oklahoma and Missouri are still available and will probably create openings by whoever they choose.

I doubt Tennessee could have done better. Pearl left a crater when he exited. who knows what kind of sanctions the program will have.

good point. i'm sure they got him rather "cheaply." he was making 300k at missouri state.

If Marshall goes to OU, then Sutton-to-Missouri starts to look more viable.

Oklahoma and Missouri are in an interesting race/contest to find & sign a coach. I would think that Missouri would have the upper hand given the relative turmoil going on at OU.

Oklahoma and Missouri are in an interesting race/contest to find & sign a coach. I would think that Missouri would have the upper hand given the relative turmoil going on at OU.

It has always amazed me how quickly programs act to replace a coach that's leaving. I can't imagine a thorough recruitment process occuring with the speed that these coaching changes take place.

But this season more than ever, or maybe it's just my awareness of the process, programs are having to act quickly to keep their man from getting snapped up by another program or tied up by the one that they're already at.

In some respects, Missouri taking as long as they are is narrowing their field of candidates considerably.

Richmond's coach signed a 10 year extension. Why do coaches do that? Why do schools do that. If they just made a sweet 16 run, why would he lock himself into a 10 year contract?

Leading candidate at Missouri State is reportedly Paul Lusk, another Purdue assistant with ties to the state.

Also, Doug Wojcik may be doing some quick damage control at TU after missing out on the Georgia Tech job: Eric Bailey of the Tulsa World Tweeting today that Wojcik interview with GT "never happened".

Would imagine that Dougie's Q-rating with the Golden Hurricane faithful would drop even further (is that even possible?) if they feel he's flitting about the country interviewing for other jobs, rather than recruiting for TU.

What the fans may not understand is that, after the TU brass yanked his CBI request, he may be dead-man-walking at TU anyway, and is trying to find a graceful way to exit, perhaps being encouraged - even directed - to do so by the powers-that-be.

I just don't see this ending well for him and TU - whether it's this spring or the end of next season.

No one over there - coach, administration, fans - are acting like TU & Wojcik has much more tread left on the tires.

Richmond's coach signed a 10 year extension. Why do coaches do that? Why do schools do that. If they just made a sweet 16 run, why would he lock himself into a 10 year contract?

I guess it's sort of a true-blue commitment by the coach to the institution, and visa versa. The reality is, both sides know that the if the relationship goes south in one way or another there are means of getting out of it.

Coaching contracts are about as pointless as any legal document in the country.

No one over there - coach, administration, fans - are acting like TU & Wojcik has much more tread left on the tires.

You know, I've never liked Wojcik much, but I feel kind of sorry for him. He's in an unenviable positon right now, with him wanting out, and them wanting him out, but no graceful way out.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

You know, I've never liked Wojcik much, but I feel kind of sorry for him. He's in an unenviable positon right now, with him wanting out, and them wanting him out, but no graceful way out.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Makes me wonder, if he can't find a job this spring, whether he might truly resign in a couple of months, accepting some sort of compensation from TU in return for leaving quietly.

Tough spot - don't see it ending happily.

Wojcik seems really unhappy - and so are the TU fans. Not a good combination. I have to think that Wojcik is looking at every reasonable opening (Dayton?) for a transition.

I don't think Oklahoma wants a mid-major coach, but they are being unrealistic. Their program is in shambles, attendance is (and has been) low and they are staring at NCAA penalties. Who in their right mind would walk into that mess without a tidy payday and a long term contract? Maybe a mid-major coach......

Wojcik seems really unhappy - and so are the TU fans. Not a good combination. I have to think that Wojcik is looking at every reasonable opening (Dayton?) for a transition.

I don't think Oklahoma wants a mid-major coach, but they are being unrealistic. Their program is in shambles, attendance is (and has been) low and they are staring at NCAA penalties. Who in their right mind would walk into that mess without a tidy payday and a long term contract? Maybe a mid-major coach......

Tennessee is in a similar pickle and eagerly gobbled up a mid-major coach.

OU should do the same - just get a regional guy this time, instead of a Capel-type with no ties to the area.

We could be in trouble here.

The only names I've seen reported as legitiment prospects for the Mizzou job are:

1. Matt Painter, Purdue
  2. Brian Gregory, Dayton
  3. Scott Sutton, ORU

Missouri is obviously going all out for Painter. If they weren't, they would have wooed Gregory before this happened: Source: Gregory leaving Dayton for Georgia Tech

Does that mean if they don't land Painter (which appears to be the likely outcome), does that shoot SS to the top of this list? I'm sure there are others being considered, I just haven't heard of them... maybe Shaka Smart?

Yet another man's opinion on Painter.

another reason why I don't think we'll see Scott Sutton headed to Mo State:

Cuonzo Martin will be making a substantial pay raise as men's basketball coach at Tennessee.

Martin signed a five-year contract extension with Missouri State last June for an estimated total package of $300,000. However, his base salary was $140,000, the same figure Martin received when he was hired by Missouri State on April 1, 2008.

Read the rest here.

Scott Sutton is currently making more than this now. No way they offer him much more than that.