Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

The Tulsa World is reporting the same thing:

Source: OU expected to name Lon Kruger men's basketball coach

Lon Kruger has been at UNLV for seven seasons.

20110401_ncaaillinoisunlvbasketball_package.jpg

CHARLIE RIEDEL/AP

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer

Published: 4/1/2011 1:15 PM

Last Modified: 4/1/2011 2:17 PM

NORMAN – Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione says there is no deal currently with UNLV coach Lon Kruger to become the next head man at OU.

"No idea what anyone is saying about anyone," Castiglione responded in a text message the Tulsa World this afternoon. "We have a shot at (Kruger), but it is far from done."

Barring a late snag in the process, however, Kruger is expected to become Sooners coach, a source has confirmed to the World.

Read more from this Tulsa World article here.

I think the Missouri job is where Marshall ends up as i don't think Smart leaves VCU yet. Neither one of them seems to want the NC st job. Lot of $$ but a really tough place to win nowdays.

Really think that the Oakland coach ends up at Dayton in the next week. Would be a very big step for him and a lot more $$.

There is a new AD at Wichita from when Scott interviewed there last time. That will be an interesting job as pretty good team coming back next year and they will offer pretty big $$. Better job than Missouri st and Bradley i think.

Sure seems like a lot of moving parts but i guess there always are this time of the year.

Like to be a fly on the wall in Houston this week just to hear all the talk and rumors.

Kampe to Dayton? From the Detroit News:

"Some of the coaches have come up to me, talking about my name being mentioned with the Dayton job," Kampe told The Detroit News on Thursday from Houston. "I haven't talked to anyone from Dayton, but I'd be interested to talk to them about it.

"The only place I'm leaving Oakland for is a place where I could win and win big. I'm talking national championships. I want to go to a place that has high expectations, a chance at getting to the Final Four for a shot at the national title. I think you could do that at Dayton."

Hmmmmmmm . . . Sounds like he's very interested - certainly saying the right things.

Dayton job tempts Oakland basketball coach Greg Kampe

I think the Missouri job is where Marshall ends up as i don't think Smart leaves VCU yet. Neither one of them seems to want the NC st job. Lot of $$ but a really tough place to win nowdays.

Not surprised they're not interested in NC State. I wonder if the wolfpack has tried to contact Tubby? It seems he has a big enough personality to compete against the other coaches on Tobacco Road.

On Twitter today Mike Minyard listed the top programs that were still looking for a new coach - one of those was Towson. They are a member of the Colonial Athletic Association, and last season, under head coach Pat Kennedy, went 0-19 in conference, and 4-26 overall, finshing the season with an RPI of 287. Nowhere to go but up for that program.

All that to say that the other day I came across a video of the new arena they will soon be breaking ground on. Seats just 5,000, but state-of-the-art otherwise. Very cool video introducing it:

BTW - I think their Tiger logo is pretty cool!

TheEagleman always thought of Coach Kampe as a smart guy....but will have to rethink that after he is quoted as saying he can get to the final four at Dayton.... :lol::grin::rofl:

TheEagleman always thought of Coach Kampe as a smart guy....but will have to rethink that after he is quoted as saying he can get to the final four at Dayton.... :lol::grin::rofl:

I'm sure he meant the Final Four of the NIT. :lol:

We think he is smart.....one, I'm sure if he is interested then the Dayton people want to hear that the coach wants to go to the final 4 and if not, most of us think that he wants more money and money to be given for the 10 million dollar arena upgrade fund. What better way to do it. for all these years he has said he would never leave and then this bomb shell

Shaka Smart should take however many millions he can get from North Carolina State while the getting is good.

Even if he fails in five years or so, he'll be rich, he'll be under 40 years old, and he'll STILL a former Final Four coach, which don't exactly grow on trees.

He would still be able to get a good job: he has the whole "no-one-can-win-at-North-Carolina-State" excuse to fall back on.

Mizzou to hire Miami's Frank Haith.

Report: Missouri Tigers land new basketball coach

"A person with knowledge of the negotiations tells The Associated Press that Frank Haith has agreed to leave Miami after seven seasons and take over as coach at Missouri.

Haith's deal with Missouri is not yet finalized, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because no contract has been signed.

Missouri officials are scheduled to meet late Monday night to confirm terms of the contract."

More at the link above.

Mizzou to hire Miami's Frank Haith.

Report: Missouri Tigers land new basketball coach

"A person with knowledge of the negotiations tells The Associated Press that Frank Haith has agreed to leave Miami after seven seasons and take over as coach at Missouri.

Haith's deal with Missouri is not yet finalized, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because no contract has been signed.

Missouri officials are scheduled to meet late Monday night to confirm terms of the contract."

More at the link above.

Big collective head-scratch on that one - smacks of desperation.

He has one NCAA appearance in seven seasons at Miami, 40-63 in Big East play.

He does have some Big XII experience as an assistant at Texas and Texas A&M.

Still.... :^)

P.S. That collective groan you heard from the direction of 11th & Harvard is TU fan lamenting his last best chance (in his eyes) to rid himself of a prickly problem in Doug Wojcik.

Now what do they do? Hope he gets the Miami job, I suppose...(or the Kansas State job should Frank Martin move to Miami, as now being rumored)

Really. strange. hire.

Wow

What was the Missouri AD thinking? Haith has not done anything at Miami and their fans wanted him gone in the worst way. I know that the ACC is a tough league, but it has been down the last few years. And you are recruiting to MIAMI! How hard can that be? Does Haith have any ties to Missouri or the mid-west? Self is laughing under his breath.

Marshall from Wichita State is perceived as being a jerk to those around him. I wonder if that worked against him being considered for mizzou and other jobs.

I have heard/seen the same thing about Marshall.... mostly about his relations with the press. It can't help him.

Being good is good business. Besides being the right thing to do.