Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

Another factor that makes this year highly unusual is that the two hottest mid-major coaching names being tossed around are still playing- Marshall and Smart. I bet the AD's at the schools with openings didn't count on having to wait until April to be able to talk these guys.

despite a rather pedestrian career at TU, it is amazing how Woj is in the mix for so many jobs each off season. either he is really well thought of in the coaching community or he his living off the success of past TU coaches that moved on.

despite a rather pedestrian career at TU, it is amazing how Woj is in the mix for so many jobs each off season. either he is really well thought of in the coaching community or he his living off the success of past TU coaches that moved on.

Well said.

sounds like a long shot w/so many of the others having ties to lamar, but good to hear one of ORU's assistants being considered...

Lamar University has narrowed its search to eight candidates for its open men's basketball coaching position.

Among considered candidates are former Texas Tech coach Pat Knight, former Lamar assistant Tic Price and Lamar State College-Port Arthur coach Matt Cross, according to a source familiar with the search.

Other considered coaches are University of Houston associate coach Alvin Brooks, Jones County (Miss.) Junior College coach Don Skelton and Memphis assistant Glynn Cyprien, according to the source. All are former Lamar assistants.

Central Oklahoma head coach Terry Evans and Oral Roberts assistant Chris Crutchfield are also on the short list, the source said.

LINK

Wichita State just won the NIT Championship over Alabama...i guess this guy Marshall becomes even more desirable for OU now....then does WSU go after Scott or Sean Sutton?... :ugeek:

I really hope OU hires this Terry Evans guy... He seems really stupid.

So a Division II basketball coach is expected to climb the ladder gradually.

But Evans has a counter.

“I don’t agree with that,” Evans said. “Division II, when you’re at the level we’re at, that’s the same as the low to mid D-I’s.

“Look at our RPI. I would put ours up with Tulsa. I would put us ahead of ORU. To me, I’m already at that level. I know Joe would hire me if I was at Tulsa, but I understand the public perception.”

Maybe we can get UCO on the schedule next season . . . :wink:

The worst part is this is the second time Evans has said UCO is better than ORU and equal to TU during this process. I don't think he even understands what the RPI is.

Terry Evans belongs at OU. He's an idiot.

I found this quote interesting...

Jon Styf (@JonStyf)

3/31/11 8:17 PM

Lamar is down to 8 candidates for men's hoops job, all have interviewed. Pat Knight is one of them. bit.ly/i7uXnu

We thumped UCO by 20 a few years back...I'm sure that they'd like to do that again (I know we would)!! :grin:

Wichita State just won the NIT Championship over Alabama...i guess this guy Marshall becomes even more desirable for OU now....then does WSU go after Scott or Sean Sutton?... :ugeek:

As unappealing as the Missouri State opening may be for another ORU coach (on both sides of the coin), I have to believe that WSU would be able to get Scott or Sean to come up for an interview this time around. With ORU's connection to the Kansas City and Kansas JUCO schools, I have to believe those relationships would be appealing to any Kansas school.

ORU needs to play more home games this year...Bring on UCO!.... :wasntme:

I'm sure Evans has a good team at his level; however he really needs to think before he talks! I have heard he is one of the top 3 candidates at OU. I can't imagine them going that route though! He is welcome to bring his team to the Mabee center next year if he would like though.

Look for Greg Marshall to be in the mix over the next few days. Missouri, Oklahoma or North Carolina State.

What an idiot: guess he not only wants ORU or TU's money to play in Tulsa any time soon, he also doesn't want to interview at either place for a head coaching job either, should they open up in the next couple of weeks.

The fact that he thinks a comment like that helps him with OU is case-positive that he is small-time, and not ready for the bright lights of Big XII basketball - or the Summit League, for that matter

Steve Goodman at Fox Sports is reporting Purdue's Paul Lusk to Missouri State is pretty much a done deal, perhaps as soon as today.

Other reports have Gregg Marshall talking to OU today - wonder if they have simply been waiting for him to finish NIT after Buzz Williams renwed at Marquette? Strange that Marshall's name hasn't come up from Missouri or NC State insiders - makes you think he's been focusing on OU himself.

Dark-horse candidate for jobs this year or next: Rex Walters, former KU star who replaced Eddie Sutton at San Francisco three years ago. Has quickly brought the Dons back to respectability, with 19 wins this year, a victory over Gonzaga, and a CIT berth.