Coaching Carousel 2011

vcboy2000

With Texas Tech firing Pat Knight, the annual coaching carousel in college basketball has begun. Rumors are also swirling around OU's basketball program that Jeff Chapel will be fired soon as well.

How does this affect us? It's a possibility that Coach Sean could get a call up to Tech as an assistant depending on who they select as head coach. Billy G. is supposedly the front runner for the Tech job with some media outlets reporting that an informal deal was already completed before Pat Knight was relieved of his duties. If Billy G is hired, Sean's name could come up. Billy G would for sure be sympathetic to Coach Sean's struggles. I've also heard that one of Self's assistants at Kansas could be in the running for the Tech job.

It's still early and we don't know how this will play out, but the ripple effects are sure to be vast so buckle up.

Capel addresses future

3/8/2011 5:17:00 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- We finally have something on the record regarding the sudden Jeff Capel Watch.

Thankfully, it's from Capel himself.

After Oklahoma's Big 12 tournament practice at the Sprint Center this afternoon, Capel was asked to address the speculation he was in trouble.

Read the rest of the article here.

And another article in today's World:

Speculation about his job status doesn't worry OU's Jeff Capel

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer

Published: 3/9/2011 2:21 AM

Last Modified: 3/9/2011 5:32 AM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Oklahoma's Big 12 tournament shootaround took an interesting turn Tuesday when Jeff Capel was asked not about Baylor, the Sooners' first-round opponent tonight at 6, but himself.

He was asked about his future as OU coach.

"I don't get into the speculation stuff," Capel said. "I hate what happened to Pat (Knight, the Texas Tech coach who was fired Monday). I reached out to him immediately. He was actually very calm and maybe seemed relieved somewhat. I hate when any coach goes through that.

"If I'm going through it, I'm going through it. But it's nothing I'm really concerned about."

Read more from this Tulsa World article here.

Sidney Low, head coach at NC State, looks to be on the way out as well.

Charlotte Observor:

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lowe uncertain of future with Wolfpack

GREENSBORO – With speculation swirling that he is about to coach in his last ACC tournament, N.C. State coach Sidney Lowe said this afternoon that he doesn’t know whether he will be back for a sixth season.

“That’s not in my hands,†Lowe told a three-deep throng of reporters after practice today at the Greensboro Coliseum. “That’s in other people’s hands. We’re going to see what we do here. Right now the focus is to come into this tournament and try to win.â€

Read more: Here

If Scott Drew bails out on his mounting issues at Baylor and takes the NC State job, would the Bears look to squeaky-clean types like Scott Sutton or Doug Wojcik to re-establish the commitment they made to integrity following the Dave Bliss scandal?

Another guy on the hot seat is John Pelphrey at Arkansas - no telling who the Piggies will have to eventually settle on, after their fan base once again embarrasses itself by sincerely suggesting the likes of Rick Pitino, John Calipari or Roy Williams.

i thought arkansas had a great recruiting class coming in. what do you think the chances are the pelphrey would get shown the door?

i read somewhere that drew will be the top name for LSU.

Pelphrey has a top 5 class coming in next year if they all qualify. Can't imagine them not giving him 1 more year. They still think they can get Mike Anderson from Missouri. Not sure why he would do that.

Got a feeling Drew will be running out of Baylor if he can as i think they might be in trouble very soon.

Have heard Billy G will be in at Tech very soon.

Wondering if Tulsa makes the tourney if Doug W gets another job. He will be looking that is for sure. He is just waiting for a decent spot to open up.

Even if Tulsa makes the tournament, I can't see Woj being offered anything but a lateral job at this point. He has not really done anything impressive during his tenure at TU IMO.

doug wojcik = barry hinson...he'll win around 20 games a year, run a clean program, but can't get to the big dance.

Not sure that's a fair statement, Alum. Given the right circumstances, I believe Barry could have gotten over the hump with time.

I think Woj would take a lateral move right now just to get out at TU. If Providence offered i think he would jump at it. Though i think that is a terrible job.

Pat Knight sounds off on Sean Sutton

3/10/2011 10:46:14 AM

While I was covering the Oklahoma-Texas Tech women’s game at the Big 12 Tournament on Wednesday night, outgoing Texas Tech men's basketball coach Pat Knight was holding court in a farewell press conference at Sprint Center. He name-dropped his pal, former Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton.

Read more here.

Is every school all of a sudden finding things out and self-reporting? Check it out:

Arkansas eyes John Pelphrey report

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas is reviewing a report suggesting coach John Pelphrey had contact with a pair of 2012 recruits in violation of NCAA rules.

The report from CBSSportsline.com includes a picture of Pelphrey with Sylvan Hills (Ark.) High standout Archie Goodwin and teammate Trey Smith at a high school tournament last December. NCAA rules say coaches cannot have off-campus contact with a prospect until the July 1 following the prospect's junior year in high school.

Read the entire article on ESPN.

Wow! That's a strong message. :-o

Excerpt:

Last week, an advertisement in a statewide newspaper raised concerns about the direction of the basketball program. The ad in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette called on Razorbacks fans to contact university officials "on the future of Arkansas basketball before too much time passes." It listed addresses for university officials, including the school's Board of Trustees members.

Pelphrey said he was aware of the ad but defended the program's future, while also saying he wouldn't let himself be distracted from action away from the court.

If they have somebody else they want to get in there this would no doubt give them the perfect opportunity to pull the trigger.

You probably already know this, vcb, but I believe schools self-report and self-penalize in hopes of limiting or eliminating NCAA sanctions. It may help sometimes, but others it doesn't seem to make all that much difference. If the NCAA is going to hammer you, they'll do it regardless of how contrite you appear.

Not sure that's a fair statement, Alum. Given the right circumstances, I believe Barry could have gotten over the hump with time.

how much longer did he need? he inherited a sweet 16 team at MSU and coached there 9 seasons w/out a NCAA tournament appearance. this was also a time when the missouri valley was getting multiple teams in the tournament every year. there is a reason he has not been offered another D1 job despite a relatively good career record. i thinks his whole awe shucks / let me cook BBQ for the media gets old when you can't win the big game.

Is every school all of a sudden finding things out and self-reporting? Check it out:

Arkansas eyes John Pelphrey report

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas is reviewing a report suggesting coach John Pelphrey had contact with a pair of 2012 recruits in violation of NCAA rules.

The report from CBSSportsline.com includes a picture of Pelphrey with Sylvan Hills (Ark.) High standout Archie Goodwin and teammate Trey Smith at a high school tournament last December. NCAA rules say coaches cannot have off-campus contact with a prospect until the July 1 following the prospect's junior year in high school.

Read the entire article on ESPN.

Photo shows Arkansas coach Pelphrey violated NCAA rules

"As with any potential compliance issue, the institution will gather information and review to determine whether a violation has occurred. If, after a thorough review of the facts, it is determined a violation has occurred, the University of Arkansas will take appropriate action in reporting the information consistent with all established procedures."