Coaching Carousel 2012

Old Titan

It's becoming more and more clear that TU is desperate to "win the press conference", with a splashy hire that they hope will galvanize the fan base and create a surge in season ticket sales.

Apparently, there are those involved with the process who feel Scott Sutton will do neither.

Good luck trying to hit a PR home run with that rumored $400K-500K salary ceiling...

OT, is that salary number right? Would they really pay their new coach less than they paid Woj?

that number would not get Sutton across town (paycut?).

First off. KJRH is the current homoe of Misinformation Junction! They have put out the most rediculous stuff. Seriously just look at Jerkins Coaching Derby candidates. That alone should tell you that they either do not have a clue, or are just trying to deflect from the actual direction the search is going.

2nd - TU is currently trying to line up an interview with Scott, so that shows you that he has NOT been removed from consideration.

3rd - The 4-500K is about right if they can get an up & coming lower D1 HC or an assistant. When DW was hired his starting salary was less that that figure. You start the guy at a reasonable figure and increase his salary after he has met the goals set forth. IF TU can get a more established D!HC, ala Sutton, then the starting salary would be higher. IF, and this is the Big IF, TU were to land someone from the names throw out there like BillyG, or Tubby, or even Prohm, or Jankowich, then you know that they'd have to be willing to pay much more than the 4-500k. And if they weren't prepared to do that then why even talk to them.

Word I am getting is that they, TU, also are currently trying to set up interviews with John Groce, and Tim Jankowich. Neither of which I feel they have a shot at. I also think that a lot of the names being thrown out there are to thro people off of the real target(s).

Of the names that have been thrown out, the only ones that I think would be accepted by TU fans are Scott & Prohm. Of those two Scott would be the most likely to seriously talk to TU. I like both of these guys.

But, to be quite honest, I believe the right guy, that best fits what TU wants & needs, is David Cason. And I believe that if TU cannot get a current HC, he would quickly rise to the top of the list. And I know for a fact, as I have taled to him about it, he would love to be the next HC at TU.

OT, is that salary number right? Would they really pay their new coach less than they paid Woj?

that number would not get Sutton across town (paycut?).

The rumor floating around is that TU was going to "lowball" Scott's offer, under the assumptions that a.) he doesn't make that much at ORU, and b.) he wants the TU job so badly he would take any offer just to get it.

I don't know that much about "a", but I'm guessing "b" simply is not the case - there are other fish in the sea, and Scott knows it. Or, he could just stay put - it's not like he's UNhappy at ORU, after all.

Now we're hearing that TU will not pay ANYONE more than they are currently paying Blankenship. I'm guessing Blankenship does not make more than $500,000 a year (his salary is not public record).

Folks in the Metroplex are saying that SMU is willing to pay at least a million a year, and maybe even a LOT more, to land a big name - Buzz Williams of Marquette is their current coach de jour, along with Scott Drew at Baylor and Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. And, they don't have to worry about upsetting their football staff with that figure: Mustangs head coach June Jones makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 million a year.

It seems odd that TU, faced with many of the same PR challenges as SMU, may be going the cheap route instead.

they got a home town discount with blankenship because of his ties to TU and the fact that it was his first college head coaching job. TU officials are kidding themselves if they think Scott is going to take a paycut for the privilege of coach at TU. that 400-500k number might land thompson at UT-SA or cross at UT-A.

There's this to consider, also: TU's conference affiliation is in major flux. SMU is entering the (granted, not ideal either, but still...) Big East, while TU is going into something currently referred to as the "New Alliance" that will include anywhere from 16-to-24 teams, flung across as many as four time zones (more, if Hawaii fully enters the picture).

if I'm a basketball coach deciding where to spend the next 5-10 years of my career, it would be hard to settle for lower pay without at least knowing a little something about the playing field I'm on.

Things seem to be heating up over on 11th Street. This thing With Tubby as being a serious possibly is WILD, to say the least.

However, it might make sense out of why TU has not interviewed Scott. But, then again, I personally think that is a disservice to Scott, or anyother possible candidate.

You interview any possible candidate as soon as you can, regardless of whether he is currently you #1 or not. In the interview, he may just very well jump to your #1 right away.

I understand where you guys are coming fromo on the salary thing. But DW wa making $616K per year. And he was #2 in Salary in our Conference.

So, I agree that Scott should expect to get at least what DW was making, and negotiate for more based on his experience and NCAA appearances.

But, it would be wrong to assume that TU, itself, has the deep pockets many think they have to pay BCS coaches salaries at this time. TU isn't in the BCS so they don't have that BCS money coming in to foot that bill. SMU will have that money, and could pay the salary they are broadcasting.

In fact, that is likely why they are saying they are willing to poney up that much. They know that in the Big East, they're going to need that type of coach to even be remotely competitive in that conference.

This is part of why a lot of people will view this Tubby report as ridiculous. But, if these reports are true, and TU is actively waiting on Tubby to finish his post season so they can approach him, then you can bet there is mutual interest from Tubby. And I'd bet there is a group of Money people that are willing to poney up the money to cover all, or at least a mighty big share, of the salary needed to get Tubby here. This would be the same group that banded together back when Self was leaving. They pooled their resources and had all signed an agreement to poney up $1mil per year if Self would stay. Word was that Self had agreed, in principle, but he left within days of said agreement. Those guys were not happy campers. If money is there to get Tubby, these would be the guys to do that, not TU.

Eddie is getting senile......Scott Sutton in the Big Ten?.....oh boy......not sure that's going to work.....Coach needs to stay at ORU......no pressure and nice money....life is good...... :fubar:

Not sure that Eddie Sutton getting publicly involved (in this case, an AP story out of Omaha, and reprinted here by the Tulsa World) helps Scott's cause one bit - anywhere.

Eddie Sutton: Scott Interviews With Huskers; Wants To Coach in Power Conference (Associated Press)

Eddie may have done better to keep his answers limited to "No comment," but I didn't think his comments really stated more than the obvious, that Scott IS looking around. He sounded like a dad who is supportive of his son, regardless of what he decides to do.

As I stated earlier, the only reason to look at Nebraska is if you want more money than what you are currently being paid. In all honesty, we have a better NCAA Tourney record than the Huskers. If you check I believe you will find that in the last 74 years they have made just six (6) appearances in the "Big Dance" and their record is 0-6. That's right, not one win whatsoever. They may have new facilities, but they are still the graveyard of coaches. Scott, just say no!

An overall record of 18-12, with a .500 record in the Big 10, would likely give Nebraska somewhere between a 10-12 Seed.

ORU would have to go 25-5 and win both the Southland regular season title and conference tournament for a 12 Seed, at best.

• Upvote 1

Smart move on Marshall's part, he has a much better program with the Shockers and will go farther quicker at WSU than NU. Apparently he did not let the money overtake his better judgement. Obviously Coach Sutton was not NU's first choice, so that ought to tell him something.

Wow, I should have read the Omaha article first. Here is a list of coaches/others who have just said no to NU already, Marshall -WSU, Frey-Gonzaga, Boyle-Colorado, Smart-VCU, Groce-Ohio, Howland-UCLA, Reggie Theus-UNLV/NBA. When you apparently are willing to throw $2 million at someone and they turn you down, that speaks volumes. Especially when some of the aforementioned coaches are currently at mid-major jobs with salaries south of $2 MM. Beware coach! Better yet, call Danny Nee who went from HC to now an assistant at Rutgers with several meaningless jobs thrown in-between (Robert Morris HC, Duquesne HC) and ask him about the job. Just sayin!

By the way, Coach Groce will not leave Ohio for Nebraska even for $2.5mm. Why? He has his entire team returning next year that is already in the Sweet 16. Secondly, he like others is well aware of NU's basketball history or lack thereof. Thirdly, Danny Nee left Ohio where he was very successful for NU in the 80's and it basically killed his career. Finally, even if Tom Osborne got Frank Solich to walk down the hall and talk to Coach Groce, which Coach Solich would not do, Coach Groce like a whole host of other up-and-coming coaches would still turn down NU. Finally, if NU has offered other mid-major coaches at least $2.0 - $2.5 mm and are only going to offer you $1.1 mm, do you really want that job, money aside?

Coaches make programs - period.

I can make you a list of supposedly "bad" jobs that suddenly became "good" jobs once a talented, driven coach made them into one.

And it's not just limited to basketball: who the heck ever thought Boise State would become a football powerhouse?

The great thing about building a winning program at a place like a Nebraska or an SMU is that you have such a low ceiling of expectations: just win a little bit, and they're thrilled.

And consider this: it's not like Danny Nee went on to greater things at another school once he was freed from the shackles of coaching at Nebraska. Same can be said for Mike Dement and a cast of others at SMU.

Maybe the reason they didn't win there had as much to do with THEM as it did the school.