Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

23 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

A weird side note. I don’t think Tulsa has had a single player enter the portal yet. I believe they lost every player except for one last year so I guess it balances things out a bit.

They've had a couple, but nobody of note (see below).

But, if previous history is any indication (and why wouldn't it be?) a lot of players wait till the last minute to declare, perhaps to minimize the stigma within the program of entertaining other suitors.

It's like the old cliche goes:  never start the "We need to talk" conversation enroute on vacation; you break the news on the way back... 💔

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.14.16 PM.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Matt Zimmer:  Jacks Get Hammered By The Transfer Portal, But Eric Henderson Insists On Remaining Positive

South Dakota State loses William Kyle and Zeke Mayo after NCAA tournament run.

Funny, I’ve never thought of losing in the first round as a “NCAA tournament run.”  I think of that as a NCAA tournament appearance. Maybe it’s just me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

SDSU wishes they had a NCAA run….

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2024 at 8:26 PM, Old Titan said:

They've had a couple, but nobody of note (see below).

But, if previous history is any indication (and why wouldn't it be?) a lot of players wait till the last minute to declare, perhaps to minimize the stigma within the program of entertaining other suitors.

It's like the old cliche goes:  never start the "We need to talk" conversation enroute on vacation; you break the news on the way back... 💔

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.14.16 PM.png

I guess they were just taking their time as PJ Haggerty and Carlous Williams entered the portal today. Might be another tough year at Tulsa and Konkol's seat may start getting warmer. I guess they did have a winning season this year...

21 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f4ba290245001723f9d8a0d46f0453bc.jpeg

Where did you get this? Nothing pulling up on Google about this.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ORUSwagger said:

Where did you get this? Nothing pulling up on Google about this.

Just did some digging and it appears to be on Issac’s instagram story! Not sure if it’s official, but he appears to be at least strongly considering it. He also has a picture from 6 hours earlier and it’s the Shockers baseball field, so he was at a game as well.

Edited by 2014Grad

21 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

If we have very low expectations, we will get very low results.  We should only be looking for players that will take the floor and think that they should have a chance to win every game; otherwise, they shouldn't have a place to play at ORU.  #MakeNoLittlePlansHere

48 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

Just did some digging and it appears to be on Issac’s instagram story! Not sure if it’s official, but he appears to be at least strongly considering it. He also has a picture from 6 hours earlier and it’s the Shockers baseball field, so he was at a game as well.

Thanks for the update. I don’t have IG. I guess he is marketing his visits like Max did, but not lots of excitement behind it.

Hopefully the money isn’t the only thing he gets out of his Landing spot.

Top Transfer Target Issac McBride Takes Official Recruiting Visit To Wichita State

Taylor Eldridge - The Wichita Eagle             March 30, 2024

Wichita State is zeroing in on an elite scorer in the NCAA transfer portal with ties to men's basketball head coach Paul Mills.

Issac McBride, who averaged 19.8 points per game this past season at Oral Roberts, is wrapping up his official visit to Wichita State on Saturday. It is believed to be his first official visit since entering the transfer portal on Tuesday.

McBride spent time at the WSU baseball game at Eck Stadium on Friday afternoon, then listened to a recruiting pitch to reunite with Mills and current WSU assistant Kenton Paulino, who both coached McBride for two seasons at Oral Roberts from 2021-23.

McBride, a 6-foot-1 lead ball-handler, averaged 11.8 points and 2.6 assists per game for Mills' final team at Oral Roberts, which went a perfect 18-0 in league play and won the Summit League tournament championship.

Following the departure of Mills and star players in Max Abmas (Texas) and Connor Vanover (Missouri), McBride became the focal point of the offense for the Golden Eagles, who labored through a 12-19 season. He made 44.8% of his shots from the field, 39.4% of his 3-pointers on more than five attempts per game and shot 89% from the foul line.

This past season showed he was capable of shouldering a large offensive load (26.6 usage rate) while remaining efficient (114.0 offensive rating). That's the exact kind of score-first lead guard who has thrived under Mills' system in the past.

Synergy logs show McBride did a lot of his damage in the pick-and-roll game, where he ranked in the 80th percentile nationally in scoring efficiency on high volume. He was a three-level scorer for Oral Roberts, capable of punishing defenders who ducked under screens, reading drop coverage and pulling up for mid-range jumpers or beating both his defender and the big to the rim and finishing over contests.

While scoring is the primary focus for McBride, he was decisive and accurate in his decision-making when making passes to others. He finished with 97 assists and just 53 turnovers for a minuscule 10.7% turnover rate, an impressive mark for someone who had the ball in his hands as much as him. For reference, WSU's three leaders in assists all had turnover rates north of 20%.

For a team that struggled with ball handling, outside shooting and efficient scoring, McBride appears to be the perfect fit for what WSU needs. And with the built-in connection with Mills and Paulino, there's a chemistry that could convince McBride to spend his last season of college basketball playing for the Shockers.

He has yet to publicize a list of potential suitors since entering the transfer portal on Tuesday, but it is believed that McBride has been attracting interest from high-major programs.

A native of Little Rock, Arkansas, McBride was named the 2019 Arkansas Gatorade Player of the Year and led his high school to three straight state championships. He originally signed with Kansas out of high school, but transferred before playing a game and played his freshman year at Vanderbilt. He then transferred to Oral Roberts, where he has spent the last three seasons.

WSU currently has four scholarships to offer in its 2024 recruiting class, which has a pair of incoming freshmen in Texas guard Zion Pipkin and Wichita wing TJ Williams, the 2024 Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year.

It's still early in the transfer portal season, but currently WSU has returning rotation players in Quincy Ballard, Harlond Beverly, Xavier Bell, Ronnie DeGray III and Bijan Cortes still on the roster. Meanwhile, Rogers, Kenny Pohto, Isaac Abidde and Jalen Ricks are currently exploring other options in the transfer portal.

This story was originally published March 30, 2024, 3:30 PM.

©2024 The Wichita Eagle

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Synergy logs show McBride did a lot of his damage in the pick-and-roll game, where he ranked in the 80th percentile nationally in scoring efficiency on high volume.

😐

Of course we do not want to see McBride go but it makes sense that he would transfer to Wichita State.  Mills got him to come to ORU and they have a solid relationship.  The Shockers are in a good conference and play on ESPN and even CBS.  It is hard to pass that opportunity up.

• Upvote 1

McBride is a great player and I sincerely hope that he returns to ORU.  He has represented himself and ORU well and he has been a consistent player on the court and from what we can tell off the court as well.

It just seems that Coach Mills is trying to hit the “Easy” button by recruiting McBride away from ORU.  I think he is desperate because of the rough season in 2023-24. There are so many players out there that it feels a little like David calling for Bathsheba when I am sure he had many other options.  It is just very disappointing and in my opinion burns any bridge he had left with ORU.

• Upvote 1

Mills lucked out getting one of the best mid-major players in the history of college basketball (Max). Barring catching lightning in a bottle twice, he'll be an assistant coach again within the next 1-2 seasons. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORUJason said:

McBride is a great player and I sincerely hope that he returns to ORU.  He has represented himself and ORU well and he has been a consistent player on the court and from what we can tell off the court as well.

It just seems that Coach Mills is trying to hit the “Easy” button by recruiting McBride away from ORU.  I think he is desperate because of the rough season in 2023-24. There are so many players out there that it feels a little like David calling for Bathsheba when I am sure he had many other options.  It is just very disappointing and in my opinion burns any bridge he had left with ORU.

I agree with you, but who knows, maybe McBride reached out to Mills first?  

23 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

I agree with you, but who knows, maybe McBride reached out to Mills first?  

I think this is probably what happened.

McBride’s usage rate last season didn’t help him as individual player or the team. By the end of the season he was visibly worn down.

He had success with Mills and ORU isn’t going have similar talent any time in the near future.

2 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Mills lucked out getting one of the best mid-major players in the history of college basketball (Max). Barring catching lightning in a bottle twice, he'll be an assistant coach again within the next 1-2 seasons. 

I wonder if Mills regrets jumping to Wichita because he might have been in the running for OSU had he stayed one more year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Comparing a college athlete visiting his old coach’s new school to the tragic sin of David and Bathsheba is absolutely WILD lol!!

Let’s not forget ORU is McBride’s third school. He has represented us well, I really like the guy and he will be missed if he leaves, but moving schools for whatever reason isn’t new to him or “out of character”. He is and will be a great guy, maybe like someone above said he wants something better.

There is no “easy” button in today’s transfer world, any good coach should be reaching out to EVERY player they have any connection with, as players follow coaches all the time. In fact, I really hope and believe Springmann uses some of his touted Texas connections to steal away or bring quality players for us this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Good for Zeke!  I hope he gets the role, dollars, and playing time that is promised to him.  He probably should have talked to Mackey before he #committed.

• Upvote 1