Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Ashton Smith is also in the portal according to Verbal Commits

We are going to have a lot of holes to fill it seems.

1.  Sounds like a lot of 2023-24 ORU players didn't appreciate being told they need to rebound, follow their shot and run the offense.

2.  Sounds like the coaching staff is throwing lines into a lot of different ponds. Hope they land a few big fish that can do what I listed in #1.

3.  Thanks to all who have posted updates.

• Upvote 2

I am hopeful for the portal, but outside of Issac I’m struggling to remember a solid transfer who’s stayed recently. For every Issac,  there’s been some transfers that haven’t quite been able to produce(or get playing time). At the end of the day there still needs to be a level of coaching up and development that our staff is responsible for, or they’ll all just leave again next year. Here’s to Springmann and his staff stepping things up, bringing in but also keeping solid transfers.

• Upvote 3

HAHAHA!! None of these guys could even get on the court last year.....and if they should have been...well, then HCRS should be FIRED!!!....adios, boys!!!  image.jpeg.621bcab4284d543bd38ad427ce81fded.jpeg

IMHO Ashton Smith should have received a lot more playing time.  He would have helped with post defense, rebounding and putbacks.  

Amboree could have spelled McBride and Kareem, but those minutes would have probably gone to Miller instead.

I do agree that this next year Amboree might have received a lot more playing time but we do not know what types of conversations coaches may have had with some of these players about their scholarship status for next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

So if my count is correct there are 7 players so far who will not return next year. They are Trey Phipps, Cam Amboree, Ashton Smith, Jalen Bedford, Eli Lawrence and the 2 lost to graduation Kareem Thompson and DJ Weaver. Will Isaac McBride stay or leave? Who else on the squad will enter the portal or be asked to leave? If only the 7 end up  leaving, which likely more will leave, that is a hefty roster to replace. I personally am excited as this year’s team didn’t get the job done so it will be exciting to see who HCRS brings in. HCRS seems to be more defensive minded than Mills so I can envision him bringing in players who are tough defenders and enough shooters to make us competitive. This season he didn’t have players that wanted to play tough D. I really feel like we have a winner in HCRS  who will get the job done!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

So if my count is correct there are 7 players so far who will not return next year. They are Trey Phipps, Cam Amboree, Ashton Smith, Jalen Bedford, Eli Lawrence and the 2 lost to graduation Kareem Thompson and DJ Weaver. Will Isaac McBride stay or leave? Who else on the squad will enter the portal or be asked to leave? If only the 7 end up  leaving, which likely more will leave, that is a hefty roster to replace. I personally am excited as this year’s team didn’t get the job done so it will be exciting to see who HCRS brings in. HCRS seems to be more defensive minded than Mills so I can envision him bringing in players who are tough defenders and enough shooters to make us competitive. This season he didn’t have players that wanted to play tough D. I really feel like we have a winner in HCRS  who will get the job done!

I hope so!

42 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

I can see Issac going pro in Europe or pursuing something else. He is 23 and on his 3rd school, he may be over it!

Also, respectfully, what did you see this year that gives you the impression Springmann is more defensive minded than Mills? 🤔🤔.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 footer that we originally recruited a couple years back.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

7 footer that we originally recruited a couple years back.

He wasn't used much by SIU - only 1.5 ppg and no blocks.  He was highly recruited the first time around from Amarillo, TX.  OU, Tulsa, WSU, K-State, TCU, and Creighton were in the mix with us.

20 hours ago, ORUJason said:

IMHO Ashton Smith should have received a lot more playing time.  He would have helped with post defense, rebounding and putbacks.  

Amboree could have spelled McBride and Kareem, but those minutes would have probably gone to Miller instead.

I do agree that this next year Amboree might have received a lot more playing time but we do not know what types of conversations coaches may have had with some of these players about their scholarship status for next year.

I liked Cam but he really struggled shooting the ball the last 2 years: 0-15 from 3 and 22% overall.  That will get you time on the bench and a chance to lead the practice team.

Smith has a big upside and can really score around the rim.  I hope he comes back but pretty sure a lot of mid majors could use a guy like him.  It is too bad he had the transfer issues and never really could settle into the rotation this year.

Very nice!  Bittersweet but the #2 jersey is also now available...Wells might look pretty good in it!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

so now we'll bring in 5 or 6 that are ready to play at a high level, hopefully but a very tall order. 

I thought about this and I don’t think we need to bring in 5 or 6 really good players. We just need to bring guys in who can work together well.

I think the past few years we thought guys like Kareem and DJ, and even McBride were better players because they worked so well within the team with Max. However, individually, I don’t think they were as good as we thought. They were crucial pieces of a very good team, but last year, when we didn’t have the same group, they struggled to find their role. Being a really good 3rd or 4th option (on a team with one of the all-time greats) is a lot easier than being a good 2nd option. Same for McBride. Being a good 2nd or 3rd option is way easier than being the main guy. 

I guess my point is two things. First, it’s possible that our 30 win team last year wasn’t as talented individually as we thought. It may have just been a special group where the sum of the parts truly was greater than the whole (Mwamba and Vanover found that out). Second, in our conference, we don’t need super talented players that can all go out and get 20 points per game (though that would be nice). We need players that can work together within the system that Coach Springmann wants to run. The key is finding players that will buy in to the system and accept their role within the team. I think the coaches have had a plan all along, that’s why they weren’t all in on a bunch of high school kids. I don’t pretend to know what the plan was, I just think there was one. Hopefully they can go out and get the guys they need to have a great season. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I agree 2014Grad, I'm reading a lot of posts that are saying we need to bring in the right players, guys that will listen or want to play D. Who we bring in is important, but IMHO what we do with them once they are here is just as important. My concern is this season's roster is the most talented HCRS may have for several years, I don't see us bringing in a better on the ball defender than Kareem, or a better help side defender than DJ. Bedford was a really good pick up this year, really our only addition that contributed, so now we'll bring in 5 or 6 that are ready to play at a high level, hopefully but a very tall order. 

In the current college game, you don't build a team over years you have a very compressed period of time to get a bunch of new guys heading the same direction. Which is why coach is looking so heavily in the portal and at JUCO guys and not HS players. But we have to coach them once we get them here. The importance of team chemistry was mentioned, which I agree with but to me it's just different terminology for good coaching! You often hear it said a team has good chemistry when they make the extra pass for an open shot, or a guy gets beat on D and all of the other guys rotate to help and prevent an easy basket. IMHO that's not necessarily a team with chemistry, it's a well-coached team.  

HCRS is going into his 2nd year, and there is a learning curve for the job particularly things like clock management, timeout usage, in game adjustments, or substitution patterns. But coach has to do a better job this year of teaching the fundamentals. We have to play better D, rebound much tougher and get an offense that has the ball and the players moving and not just one guy playing one on one and 4 guys standing and watching. The players are 20-year-old kids, coach has to drive results, that's his job. Next year we are going to be as good as our coach.  Hopefully, coach learned from this year and is ready to get us back on a positive track.  

A knowledgeable reply as always 🏀👍

• Like 1