Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

Jake Shannon is even in the transfer portal.  Even the walk ons get in on the action!😁

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Jake Shannon is even in the transfer portal.  Even the walk ons get in on the action!😁

He would make a great D-II player.  That statement isn't meant to be disrespectful, but if he is interested in more playing time (other than in practice), he should venture out to Rogers State, NSU, OBU and other schools that could use his talent and the skills he has learned over the last 2-3 years in our system.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Idig32 said:

I thought about this and I don’t think we need to bring in 5 or 6 really good players. We just need to bring guys in who can work together well.

I think the past few years we thought guys like Kareem and DJ, and even McBride were better players because they worked so well within the team with Max. However, individually, I don’t think they were as good as we thought. They were crucial pieces of a very good team, but last year, when we didn’t have the same group, they struggled to find their role. Being a really good 3rd or 4th option (on a team with one of the all-time greats) is a lot easier than being a good 2nd option. Same for McBride. Being a good 2nd or 3rd option is way easier than being the main guy. 

I guess my point is two things. First, it’s possible that our 30 win team last year wasn’t as talented individually as we thought. It may have just been a special group where the sum of the parts truly was greater than the whole (Mwamba and Vanover found that out). Second, in our conference, we don’t need super talented players that can all go out and get 20 points per game (though that would be nice). We need players that can work together within the system that Coach Springmann wants to run. The key is finding players that will buy in to the system and accept their role within the team. I think the coaches have had a plan all along, that’s why they weren’t all in on a bunch of high school kids. I don’t pretend to know what the plan was, I just think there was one. Hopefully they can go out and get the guys they need to have a great season. 

Extremely well said. This is what Kelsi Musick did and her team elevated tremendously in 1 year with 10 new players who bought into her system! Let's state the obvious , HCRS is a first year head coach and is still learning. If ORU in 2-3 years is in the same boat then clearly it is on the coach. We won't know definitively until Springmann has a hand picked team that he has worked with for a year or 2. Owning a business works the same way. The people I hire make me look really good, average or mediocre. Over many years i am much more careful who I hire and put in certain positions. The fact is you can be a very capable business owner or head coach and without the right people around you and perhaps who  buy into your philosophy and system mediocrity will thrive. It is interesting to see on the message board there are 2 different viewpoints which makes for interesting discourse. If you turn a team around  in one year like Kelsi did that is amazing  and no doubt she has some incredible mojo but in my life and I would say for most people it takes time to create a winning program. I am extremely optimistic that we have a head coach who has been around the block and is solid as can be ethically and morally. We can debate the entire off season as to whether we have the right coach or whether he needs different players or a combination of both. It will be much clearer one year from now what line of reasoning is correct. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

This season was a bit up and down - and certainly disappointing for fans, players and coaches. Losing our playmaker (Abmas) and shot blocker/rebounder (Vanover) along with strong, tough defenders in Mwamba and Jurgens meant that we had to re-group and re-define ourselves.  That meant a lot of changes in roles as guys tried to find their place. That obviously had to impact team chemistry. On top of that, we did not have a true point guard to run the offense and distribute the basketball. Our young/untried post players never seemed to figure how to grab rebounds.

So far six players (plus two walk-ons) are leaving the program - which means the squad will definitely have a different look next year. This year's team was full of guys who have been at ORU for a while and I have to think that they were tough to coach in terms of what they expected and wanted to do. A fresh influx of players will give HCRS a chance to imprint his style and philosophy on the team.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

This season was a bit up and down - and certainly disappointing for fans, players and coaches. Losing our playmaker (Abmas) and shot blocker/rebounder (Vanover) along with strong, tough defenders in Mwamba and Jurgens meant that we had to re-group and re-define ourselves.  That meant a lot of changes in roles as guys tried to find their place. That obviously had to impact team chemistry. On top of that, we did not have a true point guard to run the offense and distribute the basketball. Our young/untried post players never seemed to figure how to grab rebounds.

So far six players (plus two red-shirt guys) are leaving the program - which means the squad will definitely have a different look next year. This year's team was full of guys who have been at ORU for a while and I have to think that they were tough to coach in terms of what they expected and wanted to do. A fresh influx of players will give HCRS a chance to imprint his style and philosophy on the team.

Which red shirt guys?

Sorry - meant walk-ons. Will edit my post

• Like 1

It seems like what many (including myself) have been struggling with this year is the gap between expectation v.s. reality. The expectation was that following a 30 win season, we'd at least be competitive and a mid level Summit team at worst, despite the player changes. That wasn't the case.

The expectation was that due to Springmann's 25+ years coaching at a pretty high college level, he wouldn't be a "TRUE" first year coach and the transition would be smooth. That wasn't the case.

The expectation was that despite the loss of Max, Connor, Patrick and Carlos, three transfers from Power 5 schools in addition to increased roles of our beloved seniors would lead to on court success. That wasn't the case.

I'm not really one to lower expectations, but the realistic side of me agrees with some of the more optimistic people here(Keenan etc), that we are more of a rebuilding team than a contender. It sucks to admit that, but for my personal sanity, I expected more of this season and thats okay. Transparently, I'm hopeful for the portal, but it does sound like we are minimum a few years away from being a conference contender. We are a gazillion miles from Gonzaga and it's unrealistic in the future, but if we can move our way towards being a Dayton, or South Dakota State, we are headed in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

This season was a bit up and down -

Can you remind me of the bits that were up? I can remember the other stuff...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Grip...you read my mind, brother. Glad you said it...TheEagleman just didn't have the stones to post it....guess the highlights of our season were TU and Montana State....and you saw what happened to them vs. Grambling tonight....😬

• Like 1

Took a good Kansas State team to OT….

• Upvote 4

LOOK, CAN WE JUST AGREE THAT EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE PORTAL HAS HEARD FROM EVERY SINGLE D-1 SCHOOL, INCLUDING ORU??

I hate this new normal...I absolutely hate it. 🤢

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Capitalism + The free market has truly hit college sports. Things are shifting from where the school and education are the prize “I’d be honored to attend ORU”, to where the players are the prize “I bring your school tons of money, what can you do for me?”.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

LOOK, CAN WE JUST AGREE THAT EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE PORTAL HAS HEARD FROM EVERY SINGLE D-1 SCHOOL, INCLUDING ORU??

I hate this new normal...I absolutely hate it. 🤢

No kidding!!!

9 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

Capitalism + The free market has truly hit college sports. Things are shifting from where the school and education are the prize “I’d be honored to attend ORU”, to where the players are the prize “I bring your school tons of money, what can you do for me?”.

I was listening to a radio show yesterday where the guest was making a strong case for NIL - how these big, mean universities were making billions on the backs of the poor, hard working student/athletes. While there's a small element of truth to that, it's a  very one sided view, not taking into account the benefits of education, development of skills and basically the in-game playing audition for opportunities on a larger stage - i.e. pro teams.

Perhaps the system is unfair to some degree to the athlete - but it was a system that worked for decades. And now the whole thing seems on the verge of imploding. I'm sure that college sports will continue - but what will they look like ten years from now? P5 conferences forming their own organization, with NCAA the mid-major organization? Or the NCAA staying with the P5 leaving the mid-majors to form their own organization? Players' unions? Collective bargaining? Elimination of educational requirements for athletes? What else? Who knows at this point.

It feels very much like we are experiencing the birth pains of a brave new world of athletics.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2