Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

It is just life where anything goes: wild wild west, free for all, etc.  Coaches have to start over every year and build a new team.  I can see why the big name college coaches are leaving.  You do not know from day to day who will be or not be on your team.  

• Like 2

I played a sport at ORU(not basketball) and while I was just average(and didn’t deserve anything to be honest), I had a teammate who got some national recognition, but he was BROKE. Like couldn’t travel home for Christmas and Thanksgiving broke. Saga was good and all, but he came from poverty and should have been able to get some compensation for how he contributed to ORU.  

ORU isn’t the best example, but with tv rights and deals, some of these schools, admin and coaches are making BANK! It’s absolutely crazy people like Bush, Tebow, Burrow or Zion made their school millions but couldn’t get certain jobs or make anything from the jerseys with their names on it they walked by in the bookstore every day.

I do admit the transfer rules are a bit wild(I may have not stayed at ORU if things were how they are now), but not exactly sure what changes are needed…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do think that college sports is headed toward a Big Boys "professional: model where there are no restrictions or expectations on academics and universities just "hire" players to represent the school as PR. I know that is basically what they are doing now, but maybe they should just make it official. I think we see now that people will root for the uniform and throw down the money no matter who wears it or how much the players (not students) are being paid. The players will unionize across the board and schools like us will compete against other institutions that will be glad to be rid of the impossible task of competing with the GIANTS. I'm beginning to look forward to it. Let's just realize it is in the cards and there is no way to stop it. There will still be plenty of talented players left who want an education, who identify with schools like ORU, but were not offered the opportunity to play at Texas, Oklahoma, USC or Michigan. Maybe schools we compete with in the new classification can pass regulations that players sign scholarship offers that say they must play at least two years before transferring to a bigger school. Just thoughts.

• Upvote 4

The immediate nose dive of this past season has had quite the effect on expectations for the future of the program.

Unfortunately, they are probably valid.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

I do admit the transfer rules are a bit wild(I may have not stayed at ORU if things were how they are now), but not exactly sure what changes are needed…

Basically, the changes that are needed for the system to survive as we've known it aren't being allowed by the courts. I can't even imagine how things will settle out. Are we destined to see complete or near-complete turnover on teams every year going forward? Is the four year player history at this point? Lots of questions at this point.

Plus, I think we tend to link NIL money and the portal together because they both arose around the same time, but they are two different issues to deal with. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

While there's a small element of truth to that, it's a  very one sided view, not taking into account the benefits of education, development of skills and basically the in-game playing audition for opportunities on a larger stage - i.e. pro teams.

I think you are on to something here, @tmh8286!  I think that we are seeing the fact that the value of a post-secondary education is not worth playing and representing a college or university.  Many of the student-athletes come to college with a substandard K-12 education - some not even able to read - and the universities are not getting them any better. 

Those schools that can really make an impact in a boy/girl's life and make them into a man/woman (and know what a man or woman is) can still get quality student-athletes if that is what the family is looking for.  Engaged parents will help their kids find the right fit to further their kid's education.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A big huge gigantic congratulations to the Jacks as they remain perfect in the NCAA tournament 0-7!! Remember ORU fans that when you feel bad vibes from the Jacks it is likely jealousy!!😂😂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, dave said:

and schools like us will compete against other institutions that will be glad to be rid of the impossible task of competing with the GIANTS. I'm beginning to look forward to it. 

I have to disagree that it's an impossible task for small schools to beat the big boys, and I'm sure the players and coach at Oakland would disagree as well! Good coaching of even average players can beat much superior individual talent!  Calipari started more McDonald's All Americans last night than Kampe has had in 40 years (I doubt he's ever had one) ... who you recruit is important, but how you coach them once you have them on campus is just as important if not more.

Hang in there dave, we may be down right now but we're ORU basketball! We'll be back!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I agree. We will be back. It was early this morning when I tuned into ESPN but if I heard the commentator correctly he stated that the player for Oakland who hit 10 3 pointers against Kentucky last night was a D11 transfer. So if HCRS can do 2 things, recruit good talent and then coach em up we will be fine. In the end $ will not be the only factor that determines this. Look at Louisville. Their head coach was recently fired after going 12-52 in his tenure. His base salary was 3.5 million and I assume he had  all the $ he needs to recruit great talent. Change is tough for all of us but those who embrace it and figure out how to navigate through it will be successful. This may be HCRS greatest challenge 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I have to disagree that it's an impossible task for small schools to beat the big boys, and I'm sure the players and coach at Oakland would disagree as well! Good coaching of even average players can beat much superior individual talent!  Calipari started more McDonald's All Americans last night than Kampe has had in 40 years (I doubt he's ever had one) ... who you recruit is important, but how you coach them once you have them on campus is just as important if not more.

Hang in there dave, we may be down right now but we're ORU basketball! We'll be back!!

Coach Kampe is a great strategist and out coached ORU at least one time when the tourney was in Tulsa. (2005) A funny guy also. Was happy they won yesterday. He sure gets the most out of his players!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, eagle88 said:

A big huge gigantic congratulations to the Jacks as they remain perfect in the NCAA tournament 0-7!! Remember ORU fans that when you feel bad vibes from the Jacks it is likely jealousy!!😂😂

What current Summit League member has won an NCAA basketball tournament game - EVER?  There's only one school that has advanced in basketball at the Division 1 level.

Also, another little tidbit for those that would be interested.......

ORUintheNCAA.thumb.png.2220308ff91e8fb8a6e12a64f550d3ca.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Texas just had a player go into the portal (Alex A.) and they are still in the NCAA tournament!  Crazy

He never gets into a game unless it is a blowout but come on!

17 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Texas just had a player go into the portal (Alex A.) and they are still in the NCAA tournament!  Crazy

He never gets into a game unless it is a blowout but come on!

I wonder, does he have to leave the team now, or is he allowed to still participate in activities, games etc?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I may have been misunderstood. You make good points, but what I was trying to say was that the powers that be in college sports are going to create a tier of universities that will not be beholden to academic standards or financial constraints. They will only see players as employees and a public relations arm for the university (no pretense that they are actually students) which will lead to player unionization across the board and schools like ORU (mid-majors as we call them now) will not even be allowed to compete for a championship with the Giants. We will be locked out by design. The nation loved our sweet sixteen run, and St Peters' surprise, and Oakland beating Kentucky in he first round this year. But the big schools didn't. I agree, we will be back, if we are allowed. We have already shown we (and other mid majors) can compete and win at a high level against the likes of Ohio State, Florida, Kansas and others. Our school offers student athletes an environment that almost no other college can match. That is it's greatest attraction to perspective recruits. And yes, great coaching can develop players and mold teams into a force that can provide that David versus Goliath scenario that we all love to cheer for.  I hope things don't go as far as I am predicting, but I think they will. That is where NIL is leading us...by design. The SEC, Big 12, Big 10 are going to separate themselves from the rest. Heck, even the ACC is being sued by schools to get out because they can't make their schools enough money to compete with the other super conferences. So, what I am saying, is maybe it is okay if that is where it is going. We will continue to be a special place for special players so they can become special people and make a special impact on the world. We will strive to be the best in whatever system is set up. I just think it is going to be a new normal in the not-so-distant future. Maybe that's ok. End of rant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

What current Summit League member has won an NCAA basketball tournament game - EVER?  There's only one school that has advanced in basketball at the Division 1 level.

Of course this designation excludes our previous MIdCon conference mate and cinderella darling of the 2024 NCAA Tournament, Oakland, who won the play-in game against Alabama A&M in 2005, beating the Bulldogs 79-69. For their efforts they received the 16-seed and played against 1-seed North Carolina in the Syracuse Regional, losing 68-96, FWIW.

6 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Of course this designation excludes our previous MIdCon conference mate and cinderella darling of the 2024 NCAA Tournament, Oakland, who won the play-in game against Alabama A&M in 2005, beating the Bulldogs 79-69. For their efforts they received the 16-seed and played against 1-seed North Carolina in the Syracuse Regional, losing 68-96, FWIW.

It also excludes the Valpo Sweet-16 run as well.  No one in the current membership of the Summit League, besides ORU, has won a NCAA basketball tournament game.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:09 AM, ORU40 said:

In the current college game, you don't build a team over years you have a very compressed period of time to get a bunch of new guys heading the same direction. Which is why coach is looking so heavily in the portal and at JUCO guys and not HS players.

You're comment got me thinking, ORU40 - what motivation do coaches now have to be seeking out high school players? I know there are always a  small number that are impact players their first season, but relatively few are. They need time to develop and mature. But there is NO promise that the kid sitting on the bench that you're working to develop for the future will be in your stable next season. Coaches, by necessity, will be looking for players with something to offer THIS season. That may include some HS players, but not in the numbers we've seen in the past.

I wonder if the effect of the current portal system will be fewer players being recruited out of high school, leading to a shortage of players in a few years. Time will tell.