Transfer Portal 2024

Eaglefan 21

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Chase Martin has good size and some experience with 59 total appearances at Wofford.   Last year he averaged about 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist.  The only question mark with him is shooting: 24% from 3 and 50% from the free throw line.  Chase needs to improve in those areas but could possibly be like a Trey P. type of guy off the bench.

Chase started 22 games for Wofford and averaged 18 minutes per game, so he must add some intangibles as he doesn't exactly light up a stat sheet.  Perhaps he is a plus defender or a "glue" guy.  I can't imagine him transferring to ORU without some expectation of significant playing time.  He is also an All-Conference Academic Honor Roll recipient, so has a good head on his shoulders.  It will be nice to have a 6-5, 205 guard. 

• Upvote 2

NDSU just got maybe the best transfer so far for the Summit League: B. Watkins from VMI.  He led his team with 15 points a game and 3 assists last year.  Bison helped themselves after losing a couple of guys to the portal.

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah.....this was discussed about four pages ago. 

Keep up OT!  Don't make me pull out my circling finger picture again! 🤣

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Oh please do!

11 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I actually checked VerbalCommits.com for Cam's status before posting that nugget. 

They had nothing on Cam, but they did have Ashton-to-South-Dakota from earlier this week, so I truly thought this was...

breaking news GIF by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I actually checked VerbalCommits.com for Cam's status before posting that nugget. 

They had nothing on Cam, but they did have Ashton-to-South-Dakota from earlier this week, so I truly thought this was...

breaking news GIF by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk

Been there. Done that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For anyone still under the delusion that the transfer portal and NIL represent a harmless and natural evolution of employment compensation, I offer the following graphic graphic (not a typo):

We Are All Witnesses...to the genocide of low-to-mid-major competitiveness in college basketball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

For anyone still under the delusion that the transfer portal and NIL represent a harmless and natural evolution of employment compensation, I offer the following graphic graphic (not a typo):

We Are All Witnesses...to the genocide of low-to-mid-major competitiveness in college basketball.

Sad to see. Not all represented in those number will find "greener pastures," but players with ability will be snatched away from the programs that gave them opportunity to display their skills and that desperately need them, by promises of money, PT, and greater fame made by programs with greater prestige. Or, they may just be disgruntled, and looking for the easy way out. In either situation they may find, that that (not a typo 😉) grass isn't always greener.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Sad to see. Not all represented in those number will find "greener pastures," but players with ability will be snatched away from the programs that gave them opportunity to display their skills and that desperately need them, by promises of money, PT, and greater fame made by programs with greater prestige. Or, they may just be disgruntled, and looking for the easy way out. In either situation they may find, that that (not a typo 😉) grass isn't always greener.

When you move from one organization to another, you are only trading one set of problems for another set of problems - no organization/team is perfect.  These student-athletes are going to find this out earlier than later in their lives if they continue to change schools every year (and probably never graduate if they change more than twice).  

Find a school/team that values you for the person you are and game you have.  If they are developing your skills and you are getting the education that you need to make a great living (if you work hard), you have found the school for you!

• Upvote 2

At some point there has to be some kind of salary cap put on teams and players, much like the NBA has.   You already have transfer guys asking for a million and college basketball has only had NIL for about 3 years.  Next year it will be 2 million and then 3 million and on and on.  It just ruins college basketball, at this point they should change the name to NBA Jr. or some pro league.  

Unfortunately, I doubt that any guidelines will be put on the transfer portal or how much money they can make.  Some schools will survive because they can get a company or billionaire to pay the players but I have no idea what mid majors do.   Any chance the Green family would bankroll ORU's NIL program?  Expect a miracle right.

The handwriting is on the wall. Super- Majors will separate themselves from the smaller, less financially endowed D1 schools,  ausing a total restructure of the NCAA or maybe even forming their own organization outside the NCAA, with different rules on recruiting, eligibility, NIL/salary, etc. And schools like ORU will compete in their own division, made up of schools with caps on NIL and stricter rules on transferring. Possibly reinstating the sit-a-year clause in any scholarship offer a student-athlete signs. I don't see any other way this can go. 

22 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Any chance the Green family would bankroll ORU's NIL program?

Short answer.......NO! 🤷‍♂️

Trey Phipps to Northeastern State in Tahlequah, his father Conley's alma mater:

• Upvote 4

On 4/20/2024 at 5:31 AM, dave said:

The handwriting is on the wall. Super- Majors will separate themselves from the smaller, less financially endowed D1 schools,  ausing a total restructure of the NCAA or maybe even forming their own organization outside the NCAA, with different rules on recruiting, eligibility, NIL/salary, etc. And schools like ORU will compete in their own division, made up of schools with caps on NIL and stricter rules on transferring. Possibly reinstating the sit-a-year clause in any scholarship offer a student-athlete signs. I don't see any other way this can go. 

Only thing is, it is federal law, not the NCAA, that is allowing portal transfers. The NCAA tried to reinstate a little sanity with a rule allowing players a single transfer, then requiring them to sit a year before being eligible to play. They were sued by a player and the courts sided with the player, overturning that rule. So I think the at-will transfer will be norm in the future, regardless of the governing structure.

• Upvote 1

Every day that passes, the odds that Issac will stay in an ORU uniform for next season increase by a small %…

I would love to see him stay, but won’t be disappointed in him if he leaves for (what he believes to be) greener pastures. I’m just ready for the unknown to become known.  

• Upvote 3