ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I was looking at our stats earlier this morning, and IMHO think Jay hits the nail on the head, "Max is our first and second option on offense."  Max has to shoot well for us to beat a quality team like Duke! In our 4 losses (all to good teams on the road) he didn't shoot well; 4-11 FG & 2-6 3fg at St Mary's, 1-13 FG & 1-9 3fg at Houston, 5-12 FG & 1-6 3fg at Utah St. and 10-22 FG & 3-13 3fg at New Mexico.

We can beat less talented teams when Max has an off night. And please don't get me wrong, our role players will need to play well also, we'll need the entire team to play at their best, but most importantly we need Max at his best. Max has to be our leader and have a huge game for us to beat Duke!!

Max is the man and has been for four years.  He is at his best when Mid Court can both hit shots and distribute the ball.  He is coming off his most complete game of the year versus NDSU, where the All-American had 26 points and 11 assists.  Another performance like that would be most welcome against Duke!

• Like 1

A win over Duke on Thursday and Gonzaga's story of 18 years ago could easily be our story in 2024. I just hope we win one more than they did. Can't wait to kick it off on Thursday. You Gotta Believe!!!! (Found this on SB Nation)

Eighteen years ago this month, Gonzaga became America’s most popular college basketball team. Making just its second NCAA tournament appearance in program history, an undersized Bulldog team led by junior guards Richie Frahm and Matt Santangelo made Gonzaga a household name for the first time.

The Zags opened up their tournament run with a 12-point romp over Clem Haskins and Minnesota, an at-large bid recipient from the mighty Big Ten. They then completely shook up the entire West Region with an 82-74 triumph over second-seeded Stanford. A victory over Florida to kick off the tournament’s second weekend had Gonzaga in a previously unthinkable position: One win away from the Final Four.

For the next 48 hours, network news shows and national radio stations ran the requisite stories about average people not even knowing where Gonzaga was and about the school’s website crashing from the increased interest their basketball team’s run had garnered the school as a whole. Standard March Cinderella stuff.

Even after falling to eventual champion Connecticut in a hard-fought 67-62 West Regional final, Gonzaga had established itself as an American favorite. A name the country would remember and would keep an eye out for the next time March rolled around. In the caste system of big-time college athletics, that’s the most a mid- or low-major college hoops program could ever hope for.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

DJ might be a problem for Duke off the bench.  He is quicker than their bigs and can hit the 3s, which will most likely give Duke issues.   I like it when the Eagles roll him to the basket for layups/dunks.  He surprises a lot of teams with his athleticism.  

Totally agree with this. Looking for DJ to be "Clutch" on Thursday. He may be the overlooked guy in Duke's preparation.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that ORU will review more tape of Duke games than Duke will study ORU games.  And, you know what they say about PREPARATION!

We're pulling together watch party info. This page is what we have so far. We'll update it as more info comes in. If you know of another open-to-all watch party in your city, post it on here and let me know who to contact for details.

https://oru.edu/alumni-and-friends/events/ncaa_watchparties.php 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave said:

A win over Duke on Thursday and Gonzaga's story of 18 years ago could easily be our story in 2024. I just hope we win one more than they did. Can't wait to kick it off on Thursday. You Gotta Believe!!!! (Found this on SB Nation)

Eighteen years ago this month, Gonzaga became America’s most popular college basketball team. Making just its second NCAA tournament appearance in program history, an undersized Bulldog team led by junior guards Richie Frahm and Matt Santangelo made Gonzaga a household name for the first time.

The Zags opened up their tournament run with a 12-point romp over Clem Haskins and Minnesota, an at-large bid recipient from the mighty Big Ten. They then completely shook up the entire West Region with an 82-74 triumph over second-seeded Stanford. A victory over Florida to kick off the tournament’s second weekend had Gonzaga in a previously unthinkable position: One win away from the Final Four.

For the next 48 hours, network news shows and national radio stations ran the requisite stories about average people not even knowing where Gonzaga was and about the school’s website crashing from the increased interest their basketball team’s run had garnered the school as a whole. Standard March Cinderella stuff.

Even after falling to eventual champion Connecticut in a hard-fought 67-62 West Regional final, Gonzaga had established itself as an American favorite. A name the country would remember and would keep an eye out for the next time March rolled around. In the caste system of big-time college athletics, that’s the most a mid- or low-major college hoops program could ever hope for.

That Gonzaga team was a blast to watch! Those 2 guys and Casey Calvary were my favorites! That got the program rolling and then they really built up their facilities and were able to hang onto Coach Few and there you go!:)

• Upvote 1

The guys leave today at 4pm. I heard that the coaching staff showed the players footage of all of the negative things that were being said about them and how they don't stand a chance against Duke. I believe this will add fuel to our fire! What an opportunity to showcase our school and team to the world!

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, Old Titan said:

But, don't take my word for it - take a look at these faces upon hearing the announcement:

640e60b5ac058.image.jpg.7cff4e88bc1996a826fefe017481bb04.jpg

Do you think they were excited about Duke or that they weren't going to Albany, NY?  🙂

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, titansforever said:

We're pulling together watch party info. This page is what we have so far. We'll update it as more info comes in. If you know of another open-to-all watch party in your city, post it on here and let me know who to contact for details.

Great that y’all are doing this!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Great interview by Poplin. Springman is impressive. 

• Upvote 1

"Oh, please go under the screens, please go under the screens....don't change a thing, just keep going under the screens..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

It's awesome that the team flew out via charter, but I hope no one go hurt in a collapse of those vintage flight stairs.

I keep expecting the next picture in the series to feature one or all of The Beatles...

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, titansforever said:

Too bad none in phoenix 

• Upvote 1