ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

1 hour ago, dbl78 said:

(And yes, I am suggesting that Coach Mills get on the phone with Matt Painter and schedule a game - it would be beneficial to both programs.)

As I was reading your post I was thinking "this is the perfect set up for a crack about playing Purdue" and you ended on that very not.  Well played.

Also, I completely agree with your assessment of the game against Memphis in Dallas.  I was there as well and you nailed it!

Three point shooting percentage for the tournament to date is 30.6%, whereas the NCAA average for this season was 33.8% for ALL teams, not the 68 in the bracket (a 30.6% performance would’ve ranked 337th of all 363 D1 teams). 

There’s no doubt in my mind that the new over-inflated ball impacted ORU’s performance on Thursday night in Orlando.  Starting the game 0-12 from the field, Max with five sloppy turnovers, and ORU at one point shooting 3-24 from beyond the arc were all anomalies to our play over the course of the season.  I know that the counter argument is that Duke had to play with the same basketball, which is completely accurate. However, Duke is not a “live by the three, die by the three” offense, and ORU definitely is. 

• Like 3

Why on earth should we be listening to Mark Few who has been stuck in the same job forever?  If he had any brains he'd leverage a deep NCAA run into a better job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It took several days to even discuss this loss..... There... i've discussed it, now let's never bring it up again. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Three point shooting percentage for the tournament to date is 30.6%, whereas the NCAA average for this season was 33.8% for ALL teams, not the 68 in the bracket (a 30.6% performance would’ve ranked 337th of all 363 D1 teams). 

There’s no doubt in my mind that the new over-inflated ball impacted ORU’s performance on Thursday night in Orlando.  Starting the game 0-12 from the field, Max with five sloppy turnovers, and ORU at one point shooting 3-24 from beyond the arc were all anomalies to our play over the course of the season.  I know that the counter argument is that Duke had to play with the same basketball, which is completely accurate. However, Duke is not a “live by the three, die by the three” offense, and ORU definitely is. 

I've never seen so many shots wedge between the rim and the backboard as this college basketbal season (which proves they're under-inflated).

And then there's this - never seen it before in my six decades; can't say it never happened to Dr. Naismith with the peach baskets at the Springfield YMCA:

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Why on earth should we be listening to Mark Few who has been stuck in the same job forever?  If he had any brains he'd leverage a deep NCAA run into a better job.

Have you ever been to Spokane? You'd have to run me out of there at the end of a pitchfork if I were in his place, too. I had hoped to settle in Spokane after graduating from ORU, but God had other plans for us.

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I've never seen so many shots wedge between the rim and the backboard as this college basketbal season (which proves they're under-inflated).

And then there's this - never seen it before in my six decades; can't say it never happened to Dr. Naismith with the peach baskets at the Springfield YMCA:

How do we get more games on the schedule with these balls? But seriously, there did appear to more going on than "nerves" as Max simply lost the ball multiple times which I have almost never seen. 

• Haha 1

Gonzaga’s Mark Few blasts new basketball being used in NCAA tournament

Link: https://clutchpoints.com/march-madness-news-gonzagas-mark-few-blasts-new-basketball-being-used-in-ncaa-tournament

Why the NCAA is using new, bright orange basketballs for March Madness

link: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/march-madness-basketballs-bright-orange-new/pksbjqzu9hz1tfn8aogkf49v

22 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

17 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

Have you ever been to Spokane? You'd have to run me out of there at the end of a pitchfork if I were in his place, too. I had hoped to settle in Spokane after graduating from ORU, but God had other plans for us.

So he also has no ambition?  smh   🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

So he also has no ambition?  smh   🤣

He’s a fly fisherman. Have you ever flyfished? It can rob the ambition from any man, if he’s not careful!😉

• Haha 1

At the end of the day, we all wanted to beat Duke and shock the world.  Duke has the pick of the best players (mostly 5 stars and a few 4 stars), while ORU has mostly 2 stars and a few 3 stars players.  Duke should be at a higher level then ORU.  Even if the Eagles had a special night and knocked off the Blue Devils, who would win in a best of 7 playoffs?  No doubt Duke would.  I guess that is why I was not shocked when Duke was at another level then ORU.  They should be.

• Upvote 1

I guess than that the Mountain West, WCC, ConfUSA and Atlantic East Conference (FDU) have far superior programs than what either the Summit or we have because San Diego State is still playing, both St. Mary's and Gonzaga made it way farther than we did, FAU made the Final Four in only their second year, and even FDU knocked off a No. 1 Seed Big 10 Champion team.  But hey, we are ORU and apparently we have NO EXPECTIONS regarding our athletic programs in general or the MBB team in particular.  Just make the Big Dance and who cares if we get humiliated in the first round.  Bottom line, quit making excuses and step up to the plate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

I guess than that the Mountain West, WCC, ConfUSA and Atlantic East Conference (FDU) have far superior programs than what either the Summit or we have because San Diego State is still playing, both St. Mary's and Gonzaga made it way farther than we did, FAU made the Final Four in only their second year, and even FDU knocked off a No. 1 Seed Big 10 Champion team.  But hey, we are ORU and apparently we have NO EXPECTIONS regarding our athletic programs in general or the MBB team in particular.  Just make the Big Dance and who cares if we get humiliated in the first round.  Bottom line, quit making excuses and step up to the plate.

I am with you. Well said.

I never said have no expectations.  Just saying Duke is a better team then ORU, that's all.  No shame in that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Duke with two mobile 7 footers and bigger guard was a bad matchup. It's really not more complicated than that.

Yes, schools that fund their basketball programs 3 or 4x what ORU is able to have advantages. Not really sure how that is news. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1