ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

hopefully they know how to pronounce Max's name after Thursday night.....

• Like 1

ORU Alumnus has 1 ORU extra ticket bought in Ticketmaster but can sell at $50. wiry service fees it cost $78.
Email Doug Ott and he can follow up if interested.
dougottconnect@
gmail.com
Section 232, Row 7, Seat6

1 hour ago, ORUTex said:

Fair enough. Duke also lost to Virginia on February 11, with Roach going 7-11 from the field and leading Duke with 16 points.

Here's how ORU beats Virginia (and by one more extension, Duke), transitively:

myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com
on 12/12/22 Oral Roberts beat Liberty 84-70
on 03/14/23 Liberty beat Villanova 62-57
on 12/10/22 Villanova beat Boston College 77-56
on 02/22/23 Boston College beat Virginia 63-48

Fair point as well although Duke had a layup at the buzzer to beat UVa and the refs called a foul.  Then they went to the video replay and overturned the call.  The league later issued a reprimand to the officials saying they made a mistake.  

Duke fans are still a little salty on that one as it cost the team the regular season title.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RandomDukeFan said:

Fair point as well although Duke had a layup at the buzzer to beat UVa and the refs called a foul.  Then they went to the video replay and overturned the call.  The league later issued a reprimand to the officials saying they made a mistake.  

Duke fans are still a little salty on that one as it cost the team the regular season title.

I appreciate your participation in discussion of the game on our message board, RandomDukeFan! Your input had been interesting and enlightening. Regardless of how it all goes, this is a marquee game for ORU and we're all looking forward to it very much. I'm certain it's going to be exciting! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, RandomDukeFan said:

I have been posting on your board the last few days and will say everyone on there has been very polite and saying nothing but good things about ORU. Greatly appreciate that sir! 

Not all message forums are like that!:)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RandomDukeFan said:

They did go up against Zach Edey earlier this year which didn't end well,  but Edey is an entirely different ball of crack than anyone else in college basketball and just bullied everyone on the court.  

I think more importantly, Lively has a huge wingspan and a standing reach of 9-4 which is pretty much the same as Vanover's 9-5.  When you factor in the athleticism difference between the two that really goes out the window.  For Duke, they should be more concerned about Vanover's ability to score away from the basket.  Duke likes to pressure the ball and they can get away with a lot of mistakes from their perimeter players with Lively there to negate guys driving to the basket.  All that goes away if he has to step outside to defend his man.

Yep, Edey is a handful for everyone. One of those players who is a great college player but i think will really struggle in the NBA much like Timme of Gonzaga. 

It will be interesting if Duke switches all screens as Max will pull guys out to 25 to 30 ft and not many Bigs want to go that far out. 

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

hopefully they know how to pronounce Max's name after Thursday night.....

That Lebowski feller sure don't lack for confidence. 

31 minutes ago, darrenj said:

I have been posting on your board the last few days and will say everyone on there has been very polite and saying nothing but good things about ORU. Greatly appreciate that sir! 

Not all message forums in town are like that!:)

Fixed ^^^^

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, darrenj said:

Yep, Edey is a handful for everyone. One of those players who is a great college player but i think will really struggle in the NBA much like Timme of Gonzaga. 

It will be interesting if Duke switches all screens as Max will pull guys out to 25 to 30 ft and not many Bigs want to go that far out. 

I actually think Edey has a shot at being a reasonable pro.  As a friend who used to be an assistant in college and the NBA once told me - the league will always have a spot for you if you can rebound or shoot.  I suspect Edey could be a guy like Ivica Zubac with the Clippers.  As for Timme, there's a reason he's stayed in college for 4 years despite posting large numbers.  He has no outside game and while his footwork around the rim is masterful, he does have problems with bigger defenders of which there will be no shortage of in the NBA.

I suspect that if it's a big man ball screen Duke will ice the ball handler and recover, particularly if we're talking about Lively who has turned into a truly elite defender.  His ability to guard anyone, anywhere on the floor is the best I've seen at Duke and that's over a time span of way too many years to admit.  

• Upvote 2

I always like how Coach Mills downplays the name on the oppistion's jersey.   Whether it is Ohio State, Florida or Duke they still put their pants on the same way as everybody else.  No need to be intimidated  

ORU comes in having won 27 out of 28, so their confidence should be sky high!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RandomDukeFan said:

I actually think Edey has a shot at being a reasonable pro.  As a friend who used to be an assistant in college and the NBA once told me - the league will always have a spot for you if you can rebound or shoot.  I suspect Edey could be a guy like Ivica Zubac with the Clippers.  As for Timme, there's a reason he's stayed in college for 4 years despite posting large numbers.  He has no outside game and while his footwork around the rim is masterful, he does have problems with bigger defenders of which there will be no shortage of in the NBA.

I suspect that if it's a big man ball screen Duke will ice the ball handler and recover, particularly if we're talking about Lively who has turned into a truly elite defender.  His ability to guard anyone, anywhere on the floor is the best I've seen at Duke and that's over a time span of way too many years to admit.  

Just not sure who Edey can cover in the NBA game and think he will be hunted on pick n rolls constantly. Love watching him in college as he knows exactly who he is and what he is good at. Just lean in and shoot the baby hooks!:) 

Timme has been a joy to watch in college with his footwork around the basket for sure. Hopefully he can find a spot in the NBA and get a few years in. I don't think he has minded the last two years in college as supposedly he is making around $500k in NIL $$. Not too shabby. 

Wow! That is very high praise for Lively as i have been watching Duke since the Hurley and Thomas Hill days. He will be interesting to watch as haven't gotten to see Duke as much this season. Awful lot of young talent on their team. 

Vegas tout service FrontPageBets with one of their "Three Best Bets" for Thursday's slate...  👀

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 3.55.48 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4