ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

25 minutes ago, ORUalum11 said:

What uniforms are we wearing tomorrow? 

Higher seed usually wears white. My guess is blue for ORU. 

• Upvote 3

McBride looks focused but loose.....these ORU guys will be ready to rumble tomorrow night and TheEagleman can't wait.....entire USA will be talking about us on Friday AM......:tb-blue:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I love Eagleman's confidence and swag! I agree America will be buzzing Friday morning!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Feel like I should put on my Sunday best to watch this game in prime time on CBS.

...or at least eat something fancier than Ro-Tel dip.

Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave It To Beaver re-runs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ttowncount said:

Higher seed usually wears white. My guess is blue for ORU. 

We have to save the white unis for when we play Louisiana on Saturday... 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

We have to save the white unis for when we play Louisiana on Saturday... 😉

Unless it happened in 1974, I don't think ORU has ever worn anything but navy in the NCAA tournament (as the lower seed).

ORU vs. Louisiana would be a CBS nightmare in the second round...would not have even garnered an ESPN broadcast as a BracketBuster match-up in 2008.  Back to TruTV!  LOL

From a North Carolina newspaper article:

One of those freshmen is Dereck Lively, who is heading into the tournament with confidence after averaging 8.3 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.3 blocks and 2.0 assists in the ACC Tournament.

"Oh, we're going to be real dangerous coming into the tournament," Lively told the Raleigh News & Observer. "We're on a hot streak. We just put our mindset to it. Coming into every game with something to achieve and a chip on our shoulder. That's how we're going to keep approaching it."

Them's fightin' words!

On 3/12/2023 at 8:09 PM, ORUTex said:

In case anyone thinks we can't beat Duke, the transitive property proves it:

myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com
on 12/03/22 Oral Roberts beat Tulsa 77-66
on 11/17/22 Tulsa beat Loyola-Chicago 85-66
on 12/10/22 Loyola-Chicago beat Clemson 76-58
on 01/14/23 Clemson beat Duke 72-64

Random Duke fan here to provide some perspective on some posts.  Let me start out by saying that going into our conference tournament several of us were discussing teams we didn't want to face in the NCAA tournament and several people pointed out ORU so it was no surprise that this matchup popped up on Sunday night.

As for the transitive property above, worth noting that Roach, Duke's second leading scorer, was injured and didn't play in that game at Clemson.

• Upvote 2

On 3/13/2023 at 1:52 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

Another interesting match up is Max vs Duke's point guard J. Roach.  He is their spark plug that makes the Blue Devils go.  Roach was on the Final Four team last year and brings experience to a young starting lineup.  ORU will need to pressure him and get the ball out of his hands as much as possible.  If Max gets the best of this match up then the Eagles have a good shot.

Roach isn't the PG although he started out the season as such.  He got injured and missed a few games at which point Tyrese Proctor took over PG and when Roach came back they moved him to SG.  Both guys have improved with the change.  Defensively, you can expect the 6-5 Proctor to draw the assignment against Abmas although all that goes out the window with the first pick as Duke will switch liberally.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Is Roach healthy and scheduled to play tomorrow night?

Yeah, the team is all healthy after a number of early season injuries.  In addition to Roach both Whitehead and Lively missed multiple stretches early in the season.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I agree that Kareem/Pat are key as initial defenders.

But in all the national talk about Duke's size there's one thing to remember... there's a big difference between 7' and 7'5"!!

Have Lively and Filipowski  EVER gone up against a player taller than them? Could take some adjustment.

They did go up against Zach Edey earlier this year which didn't end well,  but Edey is an entirely different ball of crack than anyone else in college basketball and just bullied everyone on the court.  

I think more importantly, Lively has a huge wingspan and a standing reach of 9-4 which is pretty much the same as Vanover's 9-5.  When you factor in the athleticism difference between the two that really goes out the window.  For Duke, they should be more concerned about Vanover's ability to score away from the basket.  Duke likes to pressure the ball and they can get away with a lot of mistakes from their perimeter players with Lively there to negate guys driving to the basket.  All that goes away if he has to step outside to defend his man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm predicting an early 10-0 run, followed by back and forth fg's to end the half ORU up 44-29. Everyone but the Golden Eagle fans are shocked.

The nerves are too much for the freshman, and Filipowski gets hott too late. The eagles coast to a W. Eagles win 77-71.

1 hour ago, RandomDukeFan said:

As for the transitive property above, worth noting that Roach, Duke's second leading scorer, was injured and didn't play in that game at Clemson.

Fair enough. Duke also lost to Virginia on February 11, with Roach going 7-11 from the field and leading Duke with 16 points.

Here's how ORU beats Virginia (and by one more extension, Duke), transitively:

myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com
on 12/12/22 Oral Roberts beat Liberty 84-70
on 03/14/23 Liberty beat Villanova 62-57
on 12/10/22 Villanova beat Boston College 77-56
on 02/22/23 Boston College beat Virginia 63-48