Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

15 hours ago, Idig32 said:

His pick and roll proficiency is important because it should translate to the NBA. His defense is a big question mark though due to his size. 

Yes sir. The NBA now is constant pick and roll. With Cooper of Auburn they will just continually go under the pick as he can't shoot. You would never go under the pick with Abmas. 

His defense can't be any worse than Young's is right now. Atlanta does a great job of hiding him and helping out. Of course he pays them back on the offensive end.  

On 5/31/2021 at 9:42 AM, ORUalum said:

Do you think Max has ever been tired?  That is just amazing. 

On 6/1/2021 at 6:44 AM, Old Titan said:

What Trae Young is currently doing to the New York Knicks in the playoffs is no doubt helping Max’s cause with league GM’s. 

Is anyone thinking Young is “too small to play” right now?  Hardly...

Now you can add Doc Rivers and the 76ers to the list of Trae Young victims - and consequently Max just keeps drifting up the proverbial board in the hearts & minds of NBA draft gurus.  Are league GM's thinking the same way?

• Upvote 2

BOLD PREDICTION:  "An NBA playoff team picking late in the first round is going to take a flyer on Max Abmas."

I suggested back in February, before the postseason run, that Max getting drafted was perhaps more of a threat than him transferring to a bigger school.

I basically got eye-rolls, not just on this forum but particularly from my friend the former professional coach, who is convinced Kevin Obanor is a better pro prospect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but stuff like this has me convinced that some team (and, a good one) will be willing to roll the dice on him in the first round:

• Upvote 1

I have to think that besides his shooting/scoring ability, Abmas’ calm demeanor and obvious intelligence (basketball and otherwise) make him attractive to NBA teams. Also, his work ethic and willingness to improve/add to his skill set. 

12 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I have to think that besides his shooting/scoring ability, Abmas’ calm demeanor and obvious intelligence (basketball and otherwise) make him attractive to NBA teams. Also, his work ethic and willingness to improve/add to his skill set. 

You know what I think goes practically unmentioned about Max that makes him special?

The dude can rebound!

He's an excellent open-floor rebounder; he runs under/down a lot of long misses, plus he can really jump.

Again, I see that same attribute in Trae Young, and Russell Westbrook is the poster child for that skill. 

It really helps when your point guard can start the break himself with a defensive rebound; makes up for some of the on-ball defensive deficiencies.

Hopefully NBA scouts will not make the smake mistake as college teams did and overlook Max because of his height.  There are a lot of teams kicking themselves because they missed out on him in college, including all the Texas college teams.  It is hard to believe that their are around 20 teams in the state of Texas and none of them even offered him a schlorship!  

Also remembering back to when Max went up agaisnt OSU's Cade Cunningham back in maybe late November.  He went head to head with him in stats and ORU almost knocked off the Cowboys.  I am sure NBA scouts saw that game.  Not saying Max should be drafted #1 as Cunningham will be but it shows he can play with the big boys!

Max's dream is to be drafted in the first round of the NBA this year. If he decided to come back to ORU next year, I would be thrilled. But I am rooting for him to see his dream realized and get drafted in the first round. Go Max!!!!

On 6/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, ORUalum said:

I'm guessing Ma's pro day will be in the Dallas area with other local prospects; likely at that gym where he works out, or somewhere similar.

The NBA Draft Combine will be held in Chicago June 21-27th.  Here's the lowdown on how that participant list is assembled; would imagine that Max will get (or has already received) an invitation:

Getting closer to decision time for all parties involved; would assume that if Kevin Obanor does not get to participate in these previews, he will be choosing between "overseas vs. ORU" for this coming season.

It is the international players that may push Abmas to the 2nd round as sometimes the late 1rst round picks go to the draft and stash guys from overseas. 

The Chicago combine will be interesting for him as far as measurements and testing. 

Of course the shooting drills should go very well for him!:) 

22 hours ago, darrenj said:

It is the international players that may push Abmas to the 2nd round as sometimes the late 1rst round picks go to the draft and stash guys from overseas. 

The Chicago combine will be interesting for him as far as measurements and testing. 

Of course the shooting drills should go very well for him!:) 

I haven't found anything one way of the other yet about Max getting an invite to Chicago.  

Surely he did, right?

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

It is kinda of confusing: NBA Combine website says they have not released the list of players yet but other websites say certain players have been selected for the Combine such as Moses Moody from Arkansas.  They also have a G League elite camp (40 players selected) that left Max off the list.  Par for the course, Max has been overlooked his whole career, that's why he picked ORU.  The Eagles will take him for another year!

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is kinda of confusing: NBA Combine website says they have not released the list of players yet but other websites say certain players have been selected for the Combine such as Moses Moody from Arkansas.  They also have a G League elite camp (40 players selected) that left Max off the list.  Par for the course, Max has been overlooked his whole career, that's why he picked ORU.  The Eagles will take him for another year!

Just talked to someone about this and these are 2 separate camps. Pretty sure Max got invited to the combine. Which is a good thing.:)

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I haven't found anything one way of the other yet about Max getting an invite to Chicago.  

Surely he did, right?

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I just saw the list and he is on there for the Chicago camp