Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

13 hours ago, marswri said:

Sam

I never contribute to these threads, but read all of them. When I found out you were the one posting as ORU40, I could not help but jump online. This is Marshal Wright - I hope you remember me. I was a former Tennis player under the legendary Coach Duke. However, I was also a Grad Assistant for your NCAA Tourney Bball team that lost to Memphis. I am in Tulsa and still hang out with one of your former roommates - Kalin Dahl - he is going to be as amazed and excited to hear about you as I was to read your posts!! It sounds like you and your wife (who I think I know) are doing fantastic!!!

Blessings

Marshal

Marshal,

Great to hear from you and hope all is well with yourself, and Kalin! Your dinner with Smitty sounds incredible! I have no doubt that there were some very funny stories told. Between that group; you've if not "seen it all", you've seen most of it!!! 

I visited the campus probably 12 years ago or so and stopped in to see Smitty and he hadn't change a bit, it was so great to see him. We looked back in his scrap book, which really is the complete history of ORU athletics!!  

Please pass along my best to Kalin and Smitty, I'll be visiting the campus soon and will make a point of looking you up and stopping by to say hello to you and Smitty... so keep your doors locked!! LOL 

20 hours ago, ORU40 said:

MrsSmith if you talk to Brian any time soon please tell him Sam Potter says hello, we were teammates for 2 years. Brian Miles is about as nice a person as you can meet, the last time I saw him, he was at my wife and I's wedding... a short 33 years ago... Wow my wife's getting old! 

Hey sam! I though it might be you. Great memories of shots you hit to beat OSU (and others) and playing against you in the A C.

Did a search to see what the "California Kids" were doing and could only find stuff on the Acres bros🏀😀

So glad to see your postings and that things are going well. Ill be on campus from time to time as well

3 hours ago, marswri said:

Old Titan and George

Thanks for the very kind words - I love reading your posts with the unique take on things!! Speaking of Smitty - just had a couple hour dinner recounting almost the entire ORU Athletics (and other) history from an insider's view with Smitty, Kalin, Kalin's brother Derek , and Wade Johnson - such a fantastic time - almost in tears laughing at times!!!!

Also thanks for the invite and encouragement to post more. However, I am very careful about social media of any form, especially if the posts relate to ORU in any way. Since I am still working at ORU, I don't want anything out there that might be misconstrued by someone!!!

Been out with smitty,derek and wade great times would love to do it again tell them hello ill be in town again sometime

10 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Hey sam! I though it might be you. Great memories of shots you hit to beat OSU (and others) and playing against you in the A C.

Did a search to see what the "California Kids" were doing and could only find stuff on the Acres bros🏀😀

So glad to see your postings and that things are going well. Ill be on campus from time to time as well

Thanks jmg1984, appreciate it! Coach Mills needs to head out and do some recruiting in California... I hear there's some good players out there!!    

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest ESPN mock draft came out today and has Max Abmas going 28th to Philly. Seems like that would be a great fit for him!!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, darrenj said:

The latest ESPN mock draft came out today and has Max Abmas going 28th to Philly. Seems like that would be a great fit for him!!

I’m hearing from second-hand sources that Max has been more than holding his own so far in workouts with/against NBA-quality prospects; could be why he appears to be slowly climbing the draft ladder this month. 

On 5/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, ORUTerry said:

I love that Max has ORU gear on at this camp....

When you walk into a gym after just making the Sweet 16,  you aren't just wearing  ORU gear... You're bringing some ORU Swag!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

If he comes back.... wow

Do yoi think he will? Your closer to the action. I think he'll be gone Coach Mills said they wont let him back if he's a 1st rounder. I sure do hope he would return but whatever is best for him!!

I know as much as you do. If he is told that he is a first round pick, I assume that he will be gone. The issue is, does he believe what they tell him and stay in the draft? The teams can tell him all kinds of things - and then not follow through on draft day.

He should be an end of the 1st round draft pick.  Look at most draft boards and you see quite a few freshman that have good size (6'6 or better) with average numbers from a power five school.  I would take Max over these guys any day.  Not going to call anybody's name out but most of those guys are rated high on merely potential.  As we know Max is instant offense as soon as he crosses half court and also has great ball handling skills.  Would think one of those playoff type teams at the end of the first round of the draft could use a high scoring point guard to come off the bench (especially the Knicks, who really struggle on offense).

11 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

He should be an end of the 1st round draft pick.  Look at most draft boards and you see quite a few freshman that have good size (6'6 or better) with average numbers from a power five school.  I would take Max over these guys any day.  Not going to call anybody's name out but most of those guys are rated high on merely potential.  As we know Max is instant offense as soon as he crosses half court and also has great ball handling skills.  Would think one of those playoff type teams at the end of the first round of the draft could use a high scoring point guard to come off the bench (especially the Knicks, who really struggle on offense).

I think you're 100% spot on Keenan. Max's skill set translates perfectly to the NBA. The only reason teams would hesitate on him is his size, but his greatest strength is the one most coveted in the NBA... and the one that can overcome his size concerns is teams eyes...the ability to put the ball in the basket!!  

I'd love for him to come back to ORU, but I think he's ready for the next level and will stay in the draft and should have a long, successful professional career! 

What Trae Young is currently doing to the New York Knicks in the playoffs is no doubt helping Max’s cause with league GM’s. 

Is anyone thinking Young is “too small to play” right now?  Hardly...

Abmas, on the other hand, is an absolute sniper from 3 with Young-like range (43% on 8.6 attempts per game) and an even more expansive off-ball repertoire. Abmas is still fine-tuning his handle, but he's more cerebral than most score-first guards and has an excellent all-around court sense that should result in continued progress as a passer. Playing the season as a 19-year-old sophomore, Abmas averaged a remarkable 25.5 points and 3.9 assists on 63.7% true shooting, not looking the least bit rattled against high-major programs like Ohio State (29 points), Florida (26 points and 7 assists) and Arkansas (25 points and 4 assists). Abmas was the most prolific pick-and-roll player in all of college basketball, using 520 ball screen possessions as a sophomore while remaining incredibly efficient

From ESPN this morning. Comparing him to Young. Also, Sharife Cooper from Auburn who is a great passer and ball handler. Lead SEC in assist but can't shoot a lick. 23% from 3. I think he is one of Abmas main competitors for a late 1rst round pick. 

His pick and roll proficiency is important because it should translate to the NBA. His defense is a big question mark though due to his size.