Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

TheEagleman has to say that Max is one of the quickest guards to the basket i have ever seen....that skill along with his long range jumpers and short floating shots make a special talent with a future in pro basketball...he may be one of the quickest  guys since I observed since Iverson. Now AI is an HOFer and not saying Max is anywhere near that type of ability....but their games are similar....still i do not think Max is ready for the NBA game especially physically....he needs another year to build up his body and hone his game. The Summit League surely is not the NBA and he is not ready for that level of competition. That said....$$$ talks and if a team is willing to take him late first round and stash Max in the G League for a year to work on his game....one can hardly blame the kid for going pro....would love it if the Sixers drafted him....😁🏀😁

Saying that Max (or Kevin) should declare for the draft now because of ORU's fairy tale NCAA run is missing the point. 

Getting to the Sweet Sixteen provided those two great exposure, and gave scouts a good look at what they can do against Power 5 competition, but it has no bearing at all on whether or not they would be drafted any higher or lower next year, if they return to school and ORU doesn't fare as well.

What matters, as ORUBlue82 points out, is if they return and subsequently develop the weak points in their games (namely, defense and ball-handling).

As so often happens with Max, take a look at Steph Curry:  after bursting onto the national scene as Davidson advanced to the Elite Eight his sophomore year, Curry returned to school his junior season and proceeded to lead the country in scoring while setting all kinds of school and conference records.  His team, however, fell in the semi's of their conference tournament, failed to make the NCAA tournament as an at-large selection, and lost in the second-round of the NIT to another mid-major (St. Mary's).

Did that hurt his draft status?

Heck, no.  He was coveted even more than after his sophomore year, having honed his skills as a point guard while putting on a little more muscle.  The additional year in college was just what he needed, and just what the scouts wanted to see, despite the team not equaling their previous season success.

IF (and that's a significant "if") NBA scouts like what they saw of Max or Kevin this year, they will like them next year, too; hopefully more so if those two improve their games, and REGARDLESS of whether ORU advances out of Sioux Falls in March, or goes on any kind of post-season run again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I agree with what @Old Titan posted.

I think we all want what's best for Max and KO whether that's returning or staying in the draft. Obviously best case scenario for the draft would be a first round pick. I would hate for Max to stay in the draft, lose his NCAA eligibility, and then have only one team secure his player rights in the second round.

This is a PG heavy draft so Max may be able to play himself into a definite first round selection with another season.

Agree with all of that....Max and KO should both stay another year at ORU....works for everyone involved but guarantees nothing or our team success in the 2021-22 season....but still....we should be fun to watch and may help us get some real nice opponents on our schedule next year and beyond......and our recruiting should really pick up over the next few years....Mills and staff can get a real nice pipeline going.....after a decade of dreck....ORU basketball is going to be fun again....:tb-white:😎

Abmas and Obanor also need to consider the prospective teams & systems they would be drafted into. The wrong one can be difficult to navigate. Doc has pointed out that Fred Van Fleet was better off as an undrafted player than being ‘stuck’ for 5(?) years as a second round draft pick in a bad system with no guarantee. 

ORU will not be sneaking up on anyone next so wellsee how they handle it🏀

• 2 weeks later...
Editor's Note:  I realize we're presently swimming in murky waters re: players' control of their likeness and such, but this post still smacks of a traditionally eligibility-endangering promo for a money-making entity such as Sports Illustrated...

Good for Max...so what does "maintaining college eligibility" mean

Can he return if he is undrafted?

TheEagleman just got this breaking news about Max on his cellphone....when is the last time that happened with any ORU athlete?....how about Never....God Bless Max!...😁🙏😁

9 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Good for Max...so what does "maintaining college eligibility" mean"

Can he return if he is undrafted?

He has until July 19th to withdraw and return to college.  After that, he's ineligible to return to school and play.

This allows him to explore his options directly with the teams, and participate in workouts, while not losing his college eligibility, so long as he does not involve an agent.

That being said, check out this quote from the SI article:

The last day for players to declare for the NBA Draft is May 30, and the deadline for players to withdraw from the draft is July 19.  Abmas was clear that his goal is not to be concerned with the latter date.

“This is my dream,” Abmas said. “I’m gonna do everything that I can to put myself in the best position, so even though I’m gonna remain eligible to come back, that’s not what I want. I’m confident in what I can do, and I’m determined to live my dream.”

• Thanks 1

Just now, Old Titan said:

He has until July 19th to withdraw and return to college.  After that, he's ineligible to return, agent or no. 

This allows him to explore his options directly with the teams, and participate in workouts.  He just can't hire an agent for that process.

...sounds like a smart move

33 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

...sounds like a smart move

...sounds like he's GONE.

Just now, Old Titan said:

...sounds like he's GONE.

....great for the program either way

3 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

....great for the program either way

It's great (for ORU and appearances sake) IF he gets drafted; otherwise it looks like he was desperate to leave, no matter what the consequences.  Same goes for Obanor.

sounds like he's back unless he gets guaranteed money....

"My plan is to enter the draft and get as much feedback as I can. I'm hoping to work my way into the first round or get some type of guaranteed contract to help me decide whether to stay in."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31417186/oral-roberts-men-basketball-sophomore-max-abmas-enters-nba-draft-keeps-eligibility

8 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

sounds like he's back unless he gets guaranteed money....

"My plan is to enter the draft and get as much feedback as I can. I'm hoping to work my way into the first round or get some type of guaranteed contract to help me decide whether to stay in."

I'm not seeing anything in that statement that says "...or else I'm returning to ORU for my junior year"

His bargaining chip right now with these teams is the threat of returning to school:  "Pick me in the 1st round, or else.  Because I won't be around for the 2nd round; I will have withdrawn beforehand." 

But that could all be gamesmanship; he may be planning all along to stay in the draft no matter what the offers are.

We will just have to wait till June 19th to see if he's bluffing by maintaining his eligibility.  My guess is he will receive no such first-round guaranteed-money assurances, but he stays in the draft regardless.