Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

Hopefully this year’s success will help turn this around a bit. All of the area schools have experienced a major drop off in attendance. Everyone is looking for the answer - if there is one. Winning will certainly help. So would keeping Max & Kevin in the lineup as draws to the game. 

Having someone in/leading the athletic department that loves ORU and will work his rear end off to fill seats would also help. But, I digress...

• Upvote 1

Geez.....Mike Minyard sounds like the perfect fit.....i guess somebody at the top lost his phone number.....:circle-logoi:😪

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

The last couple of times we've played TU in the Mabee Center, the crowds have been well under 3,000. And, it's not much better when we've played at TU. And, our home attendance average has dropped to under 1,000 over the past few years.

It's really sad. 

That is really sad!! We used to defiantly circle those games on the schedule. Those kind of attendance numbers are just heartbreaking.

Coach Mills is doing a fantastic job of building the program back and the administration is stepping up on the facilities, so hopefully with some more winning and an exciting style of basketball the crowds will come back!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

ORU40 - Thanks for your posts and recollections of those teams you played on. Great memories for those of us who watched (and cheered for) you. I have a good idea of who you are from your screen name. I always wished that you had the benefit of a three point line given your shooting touch. 

We have had former players come on the board in the past, but never really stayed to provide their perspective. I appreciate your unique assessments given that you played college basketball at ORU. Have you been back to campus recently and do you keep in contact with your former teammates? I’m sure the Athletic Department would love to hear from you - if they haven’t already. 

Thanks ORUTerry- I've tried to avoid sounding like the old guy talking about how it was "back in my day".

The excitement and joy of this years team brought back a lot great memories for me from my years playing at ORU. The coach's and especially the young men on this years team were just so impressive on and off the court!! I heard from so many people that knew I had played for and graduated from ORU that at first were shocked by the Ohio St. win, but as the team progressed were rooting for ORU and just couldn't speak more highly of the teams play but also the fantastic interviews and character of the team.

This years team made ORU hoops history and will have wonderful memories of this season they're entire lives.  

During the tourney I stopped into a convenience store to get a cup of coffee and was wearing an ORU baseball cap and the 'kid" behind the counter asked me if I was "getting on the bandwagon?" I kinda laughed to myself and told him Yes and I'd been on the bandwagon for almost 40 years! The kid gave me a classic "OK Boomer" look.  

I do keep in contact with a couple of my old teammates, and in case anybody is wondering... yes my back still hurts from having to carry Mark Acres!!! LOL

Still and old Fightin Titan at heart, but Go Golden Eagles!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Now I'm curious who you are.  We met up with Brian Miles at the Sweet 16 game.  

4 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

Now I'm curious who you are.  We met up with Brian Miles at the Sweet 16 game.  

MrsSmith if you talk to Brian any time soon please tell him Sam Potter says hello, we were teammates for 2 years. Brian Miles is about as nice a person as you can meet, the last time I saw him, he was at my wife and I's wedding... a short 33 years ago... Wow my wife's getting old! 

15 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

MrsSmith if you talk to Brian any time soon please tell him Sam Potter says hello, we were teammates for 2 years. Brian Miles is about as nice a person as you can meet, the last time I saw him, he was at my wife and I's wedding... a short 33 years ago... Wow my wife's getting old! 

I didn't want to mention it before, since you never know who prefers to remain anonymous on this forum, but now I guess it can be said:  "Sam could REALLY shoot the rock!"  LOL

It's awesome to have so many "blasts from the past" returning to the fold following the Sweet Sixteen run, particularly former players.

Sure beats the heck out of Eagleman's and my typically ad hominem/nauseam missives this time of year... 

I passed along your hello.  I'm sure he'd love to hear from you - he's on facebook.

Brian is a personal trainer in Memphis - Forever Fit.  He owns several gyms.   Not the best picture of Brian with the mask, but at least it was a Golden Eagle mask.  🙂

IMG_8452.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I didn't want to mention it before, since you never know who prefers to remain anonymous on this forum, but now I guess it can be said:  "Sam could REALLY shoot the rock!"  LOL

It's awesome to have so many "blasts from the past" returning to the fold following the Sweet Sixteen run, particularly former players.

Sure beats the heck out of Eagleman's and my typically ad hominem/nauseam missives this time of year... 

And I’ve been scouring the internet looking for pictures of that team to figure out if tjis was Sam. 

Sam I work with your high school friend Morgan. Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

And I’ve been scouring the internet looking for pictures of that team to figure out if tjis was Sam. 

Sam I work with your high school friend Morgan. Cheers. 

Otis my man!! Morgan is actually my brother in law and he asked me about you. He and I were just at an ORU baseball two weeks ago (that crowd was also disappointing!) 

You have to ask him about the tour I gave him of the ORU campus, please don't post any of the athletic dorm stories!!! 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

You have to ask him about the tour I gave him of the ORU campus, please don't post any of the athletic dorm stories!!! 

You mean like the time you made Morty celebrate a win with you and it cost him a relationship with a nice girl?

Now I know what OldTitan was talking about when he said some people prefer to remain anonymous on here! 

And believe me, I was not the source of Morty's relationship problems. But, at least we got a win!!

Got a win on a shot by you if I remember correctly. I may have forgotten you wore 40 but I have not forgotten how you could shoot that ball!!

Oh believe me Morty, would have messed that deal up sooner or later. His track record is the model of consistency. 

We will talk no more of such things you have my word. 

Now back to our regular programing. 

Sam

I never contribute to these threads, but read all of them. When I found out you were the one posting as ORU40, I could not help but jump online. This is Marshal Wright - I hope you remember me. I was a former Tennis player under the legendary Coach Duke. However, I was also a Grad Assistant for your NCAA Tourney Bball team that lost to Memphis. I am in Tulsa and still hang out with one of your former roommates - Kalin Dahl - he is going to be as amazed and excited to hear about you as I was to read your posts!! It sounds like you and your wife (who I think I know) are doing fantastic!!!

Blessings

Marshal

13 minutes ago, marswri said:

Sam

I never contribute to these threads, but read all of them. When I found out you were the one posting as ORU40, I could not help but jump online. This is Marshal Wright - I hope you remember me. I was a former Tennis player under the legendary Coach Duke. However, I was also a Grad Assistant for your NCAA Tourney Bball team that lost to Memphis. I am in Tulsa and still hang out with one of your former roommates - Kalin Dahl - he is going to be as amazed and excited to hear about you as I was to read your posts!! It sounds like you and your wife (who I think I know) are doing fantastic!!!

Blessings

Marshal

Marshall, you and Kalin BOTH need to be contributing on this forum, adding your unique perspectives (and stories!) about the way it REALLY was back in the old days.

For those who don't have the pleasure of knowing Marshal, he's like the next generation of Glenn "Smitty" Smith:  he's worn a lot of hats at ORU over the years, and he's seen it all!  LOL

Hi Marshall. This is George Lewis.  We have met on several occasions over the years, most recently at Coach Duke's Celebration of Life ceremony.  I played for Coach Duke about a decade after you. Mrs Duke absolutely loves you and I agree with Old Titan we all would love for you to contribute regularly on the message board.  I know you have some great stories and info we all need to hear! Looking forward to our journey from here!!

From what i have read if Midcourt Max is the 30th pick in the 1st round he will make approximately $10 million over 4 years. Not a bad paycheck.

Old Titan and George

Thanks for the very kind words - I love reading your posts with the unique take on things!! Speaking of Smitty - just had a couple hour dinner recounting almost the entire ORU Athletics (and other) history from an insider's view with Smitty, Kalin, Kalin's brother Derek , and Wade Johnson - such a fantastic time - almost in tears laughing at times!!!!

Also thanks for the invite and encouragement to post more. However, I am very careful about social media of any form, especially if the posts relate to ORU in any way. Since I am still working at ORU, I don't want anything out there that might be misconstrued by someone!!!