Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

Don't forget Spud Webb was 5'7 and he won the Slam Dunk contest and had a solid career.   Others were small under six feet and did ok in the NBA.  It can still happen for Max!

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Don't forget Spud Webb was 5'7 and he won the Slam Dunk contest and had a solid career.   Others were small under six feet and did ok in the NBA.  It can still happen for Max!

You are completely missing my point. 

I am not implying that Max’s true height somehow makes him more or less of a prospect than before he was measured today.

I’m simply saying it does not help him make his case in the eyes of GM’s who must justify drafting a player in the first round who is under six feet tall.

Which selfishly helps ORU’s chances of having a possible first-team All-American return to campus to run the show this coming season.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I am not implying that Max’s true height somehow makes him more or less of a prospect than before he was measured today.

I’m simply saying it does not help him make his case in the eyes of GM’s who must justify drafting a player in the first round who is under six feet tall.

Which selfishly helps ORU’s chances of having a possible first-team All-American return to campus to run the show this coming season.

I agree that his measurements didn't help him, but I don't necessarily think it hurt it him that much, or as much as it usually would. Every GM knew he was a small guard going into the combine, they had all seen him on tape and most if not all had seen him in person. Also, at this stage coach Mills is giving teams the "real" report on Max; strengths and weaknesses, actual size, etc., he's not trying to fudge things so he looks better in the media guide, he has his credibility on the line with NBA teams and long term relationships in the past and future to maintain.

The thing that I think is helping Max the most at this point is what we're seeing in the playoffs, small guards that can shoot/score are much more of a factor for their teams then bigger guards that cant. Not just Trea Young, but Lou Williams, Reggie Jackson and Patrick Beverly for the Clippers, Cameron Payne with the Suns are playing huge roles for their teams and none of them are over 6'1"- 6'2" and the big guards that cant shoot are liabilities- Ben Simmons!!

The NBA is a make or miss league and also a copycat league and the smaller guards are "in" right now. I think there are several teams that will draft late in the first round that just got bounced from the playoffs that are thinking they need more offense off the bench than they are getting... 76ers, Jazz, Nuggets and several other teams.

So despite the less then impressive measurables, if there was a year when a GM might be more comfortable taking a guy under 6' this is it!

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I really didn't think he was that small. Of course i thought Mitchell of Baylor was actually taller as well. I can't believe Cooper of Auburn measured that tall either. 

Abmas is really going to have to play well in the scrimmages and shoot lights out i think to still be considered in the late first round. 

Now if isn't projected there will he pull his name out and come back? I know that is what he said previously but it will be interesting to see if it is still the case. 

I've said from the get-go that I don't think Max is NBA material. That's not a knock on him, as he seems like a great young man and an excellent college player. 

I hope that I'm wrong and he becomes an NBA All-Star. But, I honestly believe he'd be better off staying in college one more year and earning or getting closer to a degree. The NBA will be there next year. Or, worst case scenario he make over $100,000 a year playing overseas for a decade. 

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

I really didn't think he was that small. Of course i thought Mitchell of Baylor was actually taller as well. I can't believe Cooper of Auburn measured that tall either. 

Abmas is really going to have to play well in the scrimmages and shoot lights out i think to still be considered in the late first round. 

Now if isn't projected there will he pull his name out and come back? I know that is what he said previously but it will be interesting to see if it is still the case. 

Now that the lottery is over, there are a lot of mock drafts coming out.  I have yet to see a single one that has Max in the first round.

Which is good news for ORU!  If Max and Kevin actually do return, they will garner publicity for the program this season the likes of which we have never seen before.

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

I've said from the get-go that I don't think Max is NBA material. That's not a knock on him, as he seems like a great young man and an excellent college player. 

I hope that I'm wrong and he becomes an NBA All-Star. But, I honestly believe he'd be better off staying in college one more year and earning or getting closer to a degree. The NBA will be there next year. Or, worst case scenario he make over $100,000 a year playing overseas for a decade. 

I do think Max is NBA material, but not yet.  His elite shot-making ability is a highly-desired commodity in the NBA - and he has the character and work ethic that any team would covet.  But, I totally agree with your belief that an additional year of college would be to his advantage.  He would have the opportunity to upgrade his defensive skills and strengthen his body in preparation for the NBA grind.  There is no doubt that Max has gained a wealth of knowledge from his draft prep experience which will focus his efforts around working on his weaknesses.  And, this year's draft class is highly regarded, so his chances for a first round selection in 2022 would be vastly improved.   

Of course, my opinion is completely irrelevant - and is certainly biased by the hope of having Max in an ORU uniform for another special season.  Just two weeks until July 7 - decision day!

24 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Which is good news for ORU!  If Max and Kevin actually do return, they will garner publicity for the program this season the likes of which we have never seen before.

I haven't seen any news about Kevin's future.  Any chance that his decision is also predicated by whether or not Max returns?  I would certainly think that the opportunity for another season with Max would be a positive draw to return to ORU.  Their individual strengths on the court are definitely complementary to one another. 

21 hours ago, ORUalum said:

I like the enthusiasm ORU hoops family, but Max does not sound at all like he is coming back. When Andy Katz asks him what ORU will look like if he returns to school,  he says "Oral Roberts is going to look the same; regardless, playing the best brand of basketball it can. But, looking for another tournament run for sure." That one word... regardless- does not bode well for a return to campus.

All he is hearing right now is about successful small guards, even if not selected in 1st round. Fred Van Fleet 6', undrafted, just signed a $100 Mil contract, Jalen Brunson 6'- 2nd round because of his size and poor shooting, is going to sign a huge deal this summer. Max is a very similar player to Brunson, similar size, smart with a good BB IQ, doesn't turn the ball over and good in the locker room. Brunson had to improve his shot to be an effective NBA player, Max already has a great shot, the most important skill needed for the next level. 

Every player, coach and agent( and they are all there) at the combine is only thinking and talking about the next level, most of the players already have been advanced money by they're agents. I still think it's 99% Max stays in the draft

From that interview it sounds to me like Max is committed to moving on to the next challenge!  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I haven't seen any news about Kevin's future.  Any chance that his decision is also predicated by whether or not Max returns?  I would certainly think that the opportunity for another season with Max would be a positive draw to return to ORU.  Their individual strengths on the court are definitely complementary to one another. 

I’m still guessing that Kevin is using the possibility of returning to school as leverage in dealing with the overseas clubs; with no formal announcement (if any) about returning to school until he’s exhausted all of his options this summer.

12 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

From that interview it sounds to me like Max is committed to moving on to the next challenge!  

Yes, I heard the Katz interview yesterday and had the exact same impression, ORU40.  He is 100% focused on the NBA opportunity right now - and needs to be.  It will be interesting to see how the next few days of the combine play out.

On a side-note rabbit trail, ORU40, I remember seeing you on a TV show back in the 80's.  I believe it was a mystery plot which involved a basketball team - and you were one of the players.  Could you remind me what show it was - and how that opportunity came about?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

All he is hearing right now is about successful small guards, even if not selected in 1st round. Fred Van Fleet 6', undrafted, just signed a $100 Mil contract, Jalen Brunson 6'- 2nd round because of his size and poor shooting, is going to sign a huge deal this summer. Max is a very similar player to Brunson, similar size, smart with a good BB IQ, doesn't turn the ball over and good in the locker room. Brunson had to improve his shot to be an effective NBA player, Max already has a great shot, the most important skill needed for the next level. 

I agree that Max is probably staying in the draft but those measurables probably make some GMs hesitant... Shortest, Lightest, and smallest hands in the combine. Fred VanVleet is almost 2 inches taller...

Now, do I think Max would be able to hang in the NBA? Yes! It's just going to take a GM to go out on a limb for him to get a 1st round pick... He's absolutely worth a 2nd round pick.