Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

Max first on the list!  This is his chance to show everyone that in spite of being the smallest player, he has the biggest game!

Surprised that K.O. did not make this list or the G League camp.  So out of the 110 guys selected to these two camps, Kevin is not even listed?  If he goes pro then his only option is overseas.  I thought he would at least get a shot at the G League.  Maybe he should come back for another year.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max first on the list!  This is his chance to show everyone that in spite of being the smallest player, he has the biggest game!

Surprised that K.O. did not make this list or the G League camp.  So out of the 110 guys selected to these two camps, Kevin is not even listed?  If he goes pro then his only option is overseas.  I thought he would at least get a shot at the G League.  Maybe he should come back for another year.

Kevin is not on the list because he did not declare for the draft, underclassmen are only invited if they have entered the draft. He also cant be drafted as he is still college eligible and did not enter the draft as Max did.    

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max first on the list!  This is his chance to show everyone that in spite of being the smallest player, he has the biggest game.

I suppose it helps that the list is alphabetical... 😉

Seriously, very cool that Max and ORU are among just a handful of non-majors within this “Who’s Who List” of big names & larger schools; with ORU easily the smallest college represented, along with Howard University. 

3 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Kevin is not on the list because he did not declare for the draft, underclassmen are only invited if they have entered the draft. He also cant be drafted as he is still college eligible and did not enter the draft as Max did.    

Does that mean K.O. is coming back to ORU?  Thought he was checking his options to go pro?

10 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Does that mean K.O. is coming back to ORU?  Thought he was checking his options to go pro?

Pretty sure Kevin is exploring options about playing overseas before deciding whether to come back to ORU.

Keep in mind:  Kevin graduated this past semester.  He's 22 years old.  He may simply be ready for his next challenge.

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I would put the chances of Kevin going pro at 75%, Max is 99% going pro. 

They both have retained their college eligibility, by not signing with an agent. (as far as we know).

It stands to reason that both Max and Kevin are merely using the “return to school” option as a bargaining chip, with no genuine intention of coming back.

It’s the best (only?) leverage they have to encourage a club to commit to them. 

Thanks ORU 40 for all the insight!  It clears all the questions/confusion up!

6 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I would put the chances of Kevin going pro at 75%, Max is 99% going pro. 

They both have retained their college eligibility, by not signing with an agent. (as far as we know). But, they both are certainly involved with (being bombarded by) agents who are trying to get them to sign with them and the agents are doing that by showing them what they bring to the table. 

I would not be surprised if Max has an agent, but just hasn't  actually executed a representation agreement yet. That trainer that he is working out with in Dallas works with several pros, including Julius Randle, so he is expensive. Usually it is the players agent that place a player with a known NBA pre-draft trainer that knows the drills and tests that they will run at the combine and pro days so he is best prepared to improve his draft prospects. The agent will pay the trainer and any other expenses incurred preparing for the draft and then be paid back once contracts finalized. 

Kevin is most likely being approached by agents that represent overseas players and presented with multiple "informal" offers from teams overseas. This would be a situation where Kevin could look at the various proposals which will be very attractive and if he wants to  accept he would most likely sign with the agent and foreign team basically at the same time. He can keep his college eligibility while fielding mid to high six figure offers from multiple agents that rep players in various countries. I think Kevin has an NBA skill set and could go into an NBA camp as an undrafted free agent and possibly hang onto a roster, but he can definitely go overseas and make a very good living. Particularly after a sweet 16 run and the attention that brings, it makes Kevin very attractive and marketable to American hoops crazy foreign teams.  

I have no inside info on Max or Kevin's particular situation, but this is basically how the going pro 'system" works.  

Great read sir. I would think if Max is going 3 to 4 days a week it would be maybe $800 to $1000 per week somewhere in there. So a couple of months of that will add up! That trainer is very glad Julius Randle had the breakout season this year!:) 

I know somewhere it was said he is only turning pro if 1rst round pick. Not sure on that one. Let's say he slides to 41rst which is where the Spurs took Tre Jones last year. 3 years for total of $4.2 million. 

It will be interesting to see what is said after the combine. Hope he does well!

From the NBA website:

The Microsoft Surface NBA Draft Combine 2021 is an important step in the draft process for NBA prospects, leading up to NBA Draft 2021 presented by State Farm on July 29.  

Players will conduct interviews with NBA teams and participate in five-on-five games, shooting and strength and agility drills June 22-25. 

ESPN2 (June 24) and ESPNU (June 25) will provide coverage of the five-on-five games from 3-7 p.m. ET (2-6 CT) each day.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does Max look bulkier in this video?

Three months of non-stop training showing up in a variety of ways, perhaps...

• Like 1

Those 3 shots he drains from about 0:59 to 1:17 in the video are from just about the spot where he almost beat Arkansas to go to the Elite 8. Just a reminder of how close it was!

Several Summit League guys on that list...

OK, a word of caution if, during the NBA Combine this week, you’re taking a drink every time you hear Max Abmas and Trae Young mentioned in the same sentence:  be prepared to be drunk by Monday night, an alcoholic by midweek, and checking into rehab by Saturday. 🤪

Place your bets:  Max officially checks in over-or-under his pre-Combine listed height & weight of 6'1" and 165 pounds?

My guess:  at least 1" under on the height, but within 5 pounds either way on the weight.