Max Abmas / Mock Drafts

ORUalum

Max goes 1-8 with five points and five rebounds.  Did you see the two teams were a combined 7-56 from three point range? Ouch!  That is around 12 percent.  Max is being guarded by guys that are 6'5/6'6.  He will have to get use to that in the NBA

6 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Max goes 1-8 with five points and five rebounds.  Did you see the two teams were a combined 7-56 from three point range? Ouch!  That is around 12 percent.  Max is being guarded by guys that are 6'5/6'6.  He will have to get use to that in the NBA

More to the point:  he was being guarded by other 18-to-21-year-olds who have not reached their prime physically and did not really have defense on their mind today, and he scored the fewest points of anyone on his team in a 40-point blowout.

In "the league" he would have the likes of Patrick Beverly and Lou Dort trying to beat him to death every night.

After today, I'm not so much worried about him getting drafted as I am about him losing his mojo...it had to be a deflating experience.

I have a little different take on Max' performance today, if I'm team Max I'm feeling Ok/pretty good about today. Coming into today and the Combine, the one thing everyone knew Max could do was shoot from distance. So my guess is the feedback he's received is that he needs to show that he has the other point guard skills needed at the next level. 

He had no turnovers today and handled the ball and was picked up full court several times. He also ran the offense and got the team into its sets quickly, which is the PG's primary job and did so efficiently. His first 3 or 4 shots were drives into the lane off the dribble, which I'm sure he was advised he needed to show he do, he didn't make them and got one blocked, but they were good looking shots and he got fouled on one and hit his FT's. It looked like he passed on a couple of 3's he would have normally launched just to show the drive into the lane off the dribble .

Overall, not a bad game. He didn't shoot well but every team and GM there today knows if anything else- he can shoot the 3. He showed he can handle the ball, get his team into the offense and get into the lane off the dribble and he kept his man in front of him on D and got 5 rebounds which tells me he wasn't physically pushed around.

He confirmed his range on the 3 he hit, so if I'm a GM I saw a guy who I know can shoot ( despite a poor shooting day today) and he's showing me he can handle the other PG skills needed. The big ? is would a GM/team rather have the small PG that can really shoot or the bigger, stronger athlete that they hope they develop into a decent shooter.   

If I'm a GM I saw a guy that doesn't turn the ball over, plays smart, I know he can shoot the 3 and can make FT's in late game situations!! Those skills at that level can help teams!!

Everything we are told about how GM’s evaluate talent boils down to one word:  upside. 

Max is a supreme talent; but the measurables prove he is not a premier athlete.

History shows us that, whether it works out in the long run or not, team executives will choose the “athlete with upside” over the “talent with a low ceiling” every time.

14 hours ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

I didn't see any of the game - but the box score does not look very efficient. He had similar FGA / minutes to everyone else.

Unfortunately, the agility / strength results do not look great either:

Drill Type Max Abmas Results Median PG Results Mean PG Results NOTE
LANE AGILITY TIME  (SECONDS) 10.9             11.02         11.11 Better than Average
SHUTTLE RUN  (SECONDS) 3.49               3.16           3.20 Worse than Avg. & Worst for PG
THREE QUARTER SPRINT  (SECONDS) 3.12               3.11           3.10 Worse than Avg.
STANDING VERTICAL LEAP  (INCHES) 28.5             30.75         30.88 Worse than Avg. & Worst for PG
MAX VERTICAL LEAP  (INCHES) 32.5             37.25         36.75 Worse than Avg. & Worst for PG

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility/

Hope he's able to shoot well in the next scrimmage!

These numbers really surprised me as thought he would test out much better than that. For a really small guard those aren't going to help. 

1 hour ago, darrenj said:

These numbers really surprised me as thought he would test out much better than that. For a really small guard those aren't going to help. 

Yeah, two inches shorter than advertised and not as athletic as expected is not how you get Capone. This likely proves he doesn’t really have an agent pulling the strings; because if he did, they would have never let him go to Chicago and have such a bright light shone on these deficiencies.

But this could all be good news for ORU!  Let him return as a preseason All-American and consensus conference Player of the Year, and take a year-long victory tour as “Must-See-Three-TV” on the road and in the Mabee Center. 

Think of the attention it would garner!  Think of the crowds!  It would be epic. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, two inches shorter than advertised and not as athletic as expected is not how you get Capone. This likely proves he doesn’t really have an agent pulling the strings; because if he did, they would have never let him go to Chicago and have such a bright light shone on these deficiencies.

But this could all be good news for ORU!  Let him return as a preseason All-American and consensus conference Player of the Year, and take a year-long victory tour as “Must-See-Three-TV” on the road and in the Mabee Center. 

Think of the attention it would garner!  Think of the crowds!  It would be epic. 

Isn't there a high ranking person in the ORU athletic department that has dabbled in being a sports agent? 

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yea.. He is 2 inches shorter than Trae Young and weights 20 lbs less and not near as athletic. He is really going to have to show out in workouts i would  think. 

My thing is he has been with the trainer for what 2 months or so?  They know exactly what test are being done at the combine and i would think had tested him with those in mind. Either he should have been better at it or just done the height and weight and passed up on the other test. Not sure what they are telling him. 

I would hope he has not signed with an agent. 

In the end, if Max is drafted 1st or 2nd round, or if it is this year or next, he will get a shot at the NBA.  That is every players dream.  So he has to make the most of it and hope that he gets on a team that fits his game. 

The Knicks seem like a great fit. They have two picks in the first round and an early second round pick.  They need some scoring off the bench and a solid point guard, so I would think they would be willing to take a chance on Max with one of those three picks.

I would think that the teams are being honest/up front with him concerning their assessments of his skill sets and talents. 

2 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I would think that the teams are being honest/up front with him concerning their assessments of his skill sets and talents. 

The problem for Max is that often teams might not be honest about their true thoughts and intentions.  Subterfuge is the name of the game when it comes to any of the professional league drafts.

17 minutes ago, Ting said:

What time is Max’s game today? Espn2?

It’s on ESPNU today, but I don’t know if he’s playing in the first (2pm CDT) or second (4pm) game. 

Oh my. That was the last scrimmage… so what opportunities left does Max have to show himself to potential draft execs?

I know very little about the NBA combine ir draft process. What I have learned is mostly from you all on these postings. However, I assume this is just a little taste of what it is like to play professionally. Everybody is REALLY good. I'm not throwing cold water on Max's chances to be a pro. And I'm not even secretly hoping he comes back to ORU because I (like all of us) truly want what is best for him, personally and professionally. But maybe, this is just a good introduction of what he needs to prepare for and next year will be his year. 

• Upvote 1

Max needs to come back to ORU and dominate....only go if he gets 1st round $$$.🤩